32.4 mpg in my 2013!!! - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2013 2.5i Premium CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking 32.4 mpg in my 2013!!!

Well, almost 32.4 mpg...

I headed out this morning for a long drive. Much of the highway has 75 mph limits, and short section has 85 mph. So, I figured I would take the opportunity to test my mileage because my new Outback had about 2000 miles on it. I hadn't been really impressed with the mileage so far, with numbers reflecting those of many others reported here.

I made the decision to limit my speed to 65-67 mph, and accelerate easily (i.e., keep it around 2000 rpm). I drove 647.4 miles, the vast majority between 65-67 mph. A couple times I accelerated to about 70-72 to pass someone, I was stuck in a couple traffic jams in Dallas, and I puttered around in a few small towns looking at stuff. It was a little odd having other cars pass me all day on the highway, but I have to admit it was way less stressful than fighting to get down the road.

2013 premium 2.5 CVT. Last week my Outback was pinging some during harder acceleration, so I switched to 89 octane gas (couldn't find ethanol free) and have used it since. My tires are set at 36/34. I always use the same gas station, the same pump, with my car in the same position. I insert the gas nozzle in the same way, and let it click off automatically.

So I filled up this morning and took off on the journey. Cruising at 65-67 mph the engine will just buzz along between 1900 and 2000 rpm. I used cruise control for probably 65% of the trip. It was a clear day, ranging from 50 to 70 degrees, and light winds. Actually, it was a beautiful day in Texas (and southern Oklahoma)! So, my computer read 32.4 mpg average at the end of the day. I couldn't wait to fill it back up and see what it actually did. It used 20.62 gallons, yielding 31.40 mpg.

I feel much more comfortable knowing my Outback can manage 30+ mpg. I just had to drive it right!
nullrejector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited, TBM, with Sun/Nav/Eyesight

Congrats

I too have been having much better mpg's recently. I'm averaging almost 27mpg in 50/50 driving here in northern Cali. Can't wait to see what happens, if anything, after the first service next weekend!

HOORAY 2013 OUTBACK! HOORAY BEER!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5i

amazingly HIGH , I average 22mpgs since I do a vast majority of
my driving in the city, but today I drove 120 miles on the Freeway,
and I noticed the Outback can manage 30 mpgs Hwy if I drive carefully.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: '12 Outback 2.5L CVT Premium, Skyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrejector View Post
My tires are set at 36/34. I always use the same gas station, the same pump, with my car in the same position. I insert the gas nozzle in the same way, and let it click off automatically.
This made me chuckle. You've been reading all those MPG threads, haha!

Common sense, isn't common.

Novablue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver

If I drive all highway I can get over 30 which I do find somewhat remarkable.
I do agree that if you lock it in at 65 it is so much less stressful.
I used to join the left lane parade, all driving 9mph over the limit, but got tired of it. They really don't get anywhere all that much quicker, and I find the parade irritating.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5 CVT, Any Kia Lot Car

I've managed a hand calculated 31.7MPG in my 06 Outback 2.5i 4eat over a couple tanks.

Here in Canada, 2013 Outback's are rated at the equivalent of just over 36 US MPG.

I'm looking at upgrading in the new future, and am expecting 34MPG highway at least. Anyone getting that yet?
Sweeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2013 OB Premium 2.5 CVT

Warmer weather makes all the difference. I did 30+ mpg tanks last summer pretty routinely, mostly highway driving at 65mph. This winter I'm getting 25-26 mpg.
13OBprem is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2013 2.5i Premium CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novablue View Post
This made me chuckle. You've been reading all those MPG threads, haha!
I do try to stay methodological!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomjabber View Post
If I drive all highway I can get over 30 which I do find somewhat remarkable.
I do agree that if you lock it in at 65 it is so much less stressful.
I used to join the left lane parade, all driving 9mph over the limit, but got tired of it. They really don't get anywhere all that much quicker, and I find the parade irritating.
Well, driving over 600 miles, 10 mph quicker would have made a big difference in time. But, it's definitely worth it to slow down if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeps View Post
I've managed a hand calculated 31.7MPG in my 06 Outback 2.5i 4eat over a couple tanks.

Here in Canada, 2013 Outback's are rated at the equivalent of just over 36 US MPG.

I'm looking at upgrading in the new future, and am expecting 34MPG highway at least. Anyone getting that yet?
Are you saying Canadian outbacks are rated at 36 miles per US gallon? I'd imagine that I'd have to keep mine under 60 mph to manage 34 mpg, but I don't know if it's possible.
nullrejector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OB 3.6R limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrejector View Post
I always use the same gas station, the same pump, with my car in the same position. I insert the gas nozzle in the same way, and let it click off automatically.

I feel much more comfortable knowing my Outback can manage 30+ mpg. I just had to drive it right!
so what happen when Their an extra passenger sitting on the gas door side tilting the gas tank a bit?
Do you always fill up in the morning only?

30+ mpg is great! enjoy it!
awd-gg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Too bad our speed limits here in TX are 75, 80 or even 85. If you try going 65, you're going to get killed. I wind up getting about 24.5mpg in my 2012 2.5 CVT with a yakima roof rack on LP12s. That's in about a 65/35 Hwy/City split. I can get about 26 without the rack.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: