2014 OB Towing Capacity Change? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2014 OB Towing Capacity Change?

Been thinking about trading in my 97OB for a 2013/2014OB, but read something disturbing today on another forum about towing capacity :

2013 Forester TC: 2400 lbs
2014 Forester TC: 1500 lbs

Supposedly, the reduction in TC is because of a new SAE standard:
“Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating"

My fear, of course, is that the 2014OB TC will suffer the same fate. Does anybody have any knowledge or insight about this issue? TIA.
RobLog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.

An SAE downgrade won't make the vehicle behave any differently. We already know how much it can tow. Heck, in some countries the 4th gen Outback is rated to tow up to 4,400 pounds!

I have towed with every car I have owned, and the Outback is the highest rated of them all. I make sure my car and trailer are safe, and I drive with appropriate caution.

2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, AWP. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch, 19mm RSB, coil SumoSprings on rear.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
An SAE downgrade won't make the vehicle behave any differently. We already know how much it can tow. Heck, in some countries the 4th gen Outback is rated to tow up to 4,400 pounds!

I have towed with every car I have owned, and the Outback is the highest rated of them all. I make sure my car and trailer are safe, and I drive with appropriate caution.
Yeah, I know. But for insurance and legal reasons, I want to remain within the stated limits.
RobLog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

Well technically it is not an SAE downgrade. SAE came up with a unified standard for setting tow rates and loads. Untill then it was whatever the mfg wanted to say plus some black magic and lawyers thrown into the mix.

That Dam Towing Test: New SAE Trailering Standards Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...t/viewall.html
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium

You forget that 2014 sees the redesign of the Forester. There could be something in the design change that also causes the reduction in the rating.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: