New Horns Installed - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB 2.5i limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default New Horns Installed

The pathetic stock horns have been discussed on here over and over and over, so this isn't another thread asking for suggestions on horns.

I plan to add a video for sound (once I can figure out how), but two weeks ago I installed the Hella Supertones and was a little unsatisfied with the sound. They were installed w/ a relay and were plenty loud, I just wasn't thrilled with the kind of sound.

Also, I used the wiring for the horn in front of the radiator for the relay, so I left the stock horn behind the passenger headlight b/c why not, right?

Anyway, this weekend I decided to change the sound a bit by replacing the stock horn behind the headlight with a
FIAMM Freeway Blaster low tone FIAMM Freeway Blaster low tone
. I'm much happier with the sound now! It's very much a "GET THE HECK OUT OF MY WAY" kind of sound.

I didn't put it on a relay, but I'm considering adding the high tone Freeway Blaster and a relay for both b/c apparently I love overkill.

ANYWAY... I just thought I'd throw it out there that anybody who wants to add a little umph to the Supertones, it can be done for just $16 w/ a plug-and-play FIAMM behind the headlight.

2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
mws4ua is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV

So... Are you using 3 horns now? (2 Supertones + new one)
Bags is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, three horns now:

Two Supertone horns using a relay and the wire from the stock horn that was behind the grill. They're mounted with the Subimods Hella Horn bracket and sit right behind the grill.

One Freeway Blaster hooked directly to the stock wiring and sitting behind the passenger headlight where the other stock horn was.

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV

okay... I'll be waiting for your video!! I already have the "Two Supertone horns using a relay and the wire from the stock horn that was behind the grill. They're mounted with the Subimods Hella Horn bracket and sit right behind the grill." done so it'll be interesting to hear the difference with the new horn.
Bags is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT

Did your new Fiamm horn plug into the stock connector, or did you have to do some cut/splice work?
hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyjr View Post
Did your new Fiamm horn plug into the stock connector, or did you have to do some cut/splice work?
No cutting/splicing necessary. The connector on the end of the wire looks specialized, but it's just a female blade connector that will fit onto the male connector on the back of the FIAMM.

From what I understand, the FIAMM on the stock wire might not be as loud as it could be, which is why I'm still considering adding a relay.

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
Old 02-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl

I have the Fiamm Hi/Lo Blasters installed as direct/no-mods replacement. I calc’d the load/specs and the oem horn circ is sufficient, without the need for a new direct/relay circ.
I also did not butcher the oem wires, and left it as-is (IIRC it has a 1/4" spade female shielded connector). I assembled another wire to mate with the horn/oem-wiring, to lengthen the wire assy altogether and add a stress loop, then waterproofed the terminals.
I have the Supertones on my Accord and yes they are louder (w/c wifey doesn’t like on her OB), but the Blasters are still louder than stock.
GasGuzz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
No cutting/splicing necessary. The connector on the end of the wire looks specialized, but it's just a female blade connector that will fit onto the male connector on the back of the FIAMM.

From what I understand, the FIAMM on the stock wire might not be as loud as it could be, which is why I'm still considering adding a relay.
Thanks - sorry if I'm being dense, but I did installed the Hella Supertones as you did, in the grill with the Subimods bracket, relay, and harness. I'm running the stock horn in the fenderwell/behind the headlight too.

Am I mistaken, or doesn't the stock horn have a power and ground wire within that plug? or is is just a power wire and ground is to the chassis?

Thanks again -

Hoppy
hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT

I never quite understood why people are upgrading their horns. In my experience the idiot you're honking at doesn't care or is oblivious to the fact that you are honking.

What purpose does this serve? I'm not trying to put down the upgrade, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.

Subies of Past:
'98 Impreza L Coupe | '05 Impreza RS | '08 Legacy GT
vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr4Legacy View Post
I never quite understood why people are upgrading their horns. In my experience the idiot you're honking at doesn't care or is oblivious to the fact that you are honking.

What purpose does this serve? I'm not trying to put down the upgrade, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.
I actually used my horn this morning... Some moron was drifting into my lane. I honked at him and he immediately straightened out.

Sure, it probably would have happened w/ the stock horn, too, but IMO the louder the better.

Aside from that... Some people like to just tinker w/ cars. This is something you can tinker with / personalize at relatively low cost (though the Hella set up from Subimods isn't exactly cheap). Not all mods are necessary.

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: