2010-12 vs 2013-14 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
pgh

Car: 2010 outback. base 2.5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2010-12 vs 2013-14

Much has been written about the changes Subaru made for the 13 model year but how many people like the earlier versions better.

-I don't like the wart like oversized fog's.
-Cloth seat material is cheaper in feel and look? Not that the 10-12's are anything special
-No chrome rings around sped/tach.
- EJ series engine quieter and gets a little better MPG.
- Suspension a little harsh. Some people like the more isolated feel at the expense of handling.
- Wheels design?
pgh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '13 Outback 3.6R SAP

I don't mind the size of the fogs but I don't like how they stick out further than the bumper and headlights. It gives the front end a wierd profile when looking from the side.
2013 Volvo C70 Retractable Hardtop Convertible - Wife's DD
1964 Corvair Spyder (Factory turbo) Convertible - Rotisserie restoration in progress
Prior cars: 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited, Ford Flex, Porsche 911SC, Volvo V40, Various Saabs 900(2)/9000(2)/9-3(1), VW GTI
Nickshu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.

Having never owned either, my opinion is that the '13+s are significantly better looking than the 10-12s. I like the huge fog lights on the new one... makes them look more like the previous generations' awesomely huge fog lights. The whole front end is way better looking overall. I also like the wheels on the new 13s way better.

Of course, as a whole I do not like the way the 4th gen Outbacks look.
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 194,000 miles, L26/L67 hybrid, 4T65E-HD with ZZP shift kit, GMPP front sway bar, GMPP front and rear STBs, lowered, 17inch Comp G wheels, SD headers, FWI, Autolite 104 plugs, custom DHP tune - Toy/money pit
| W-body.com Car of the Quarter 2nd Quarter 2013

Love: it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
SE95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB LTD 2.5i PZEVw/Sunroof Pkg/Cypress Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh View Post
- EJ series engine quieter and gets a little better MPG.
Has a reduction in gas mileage been the case with all 2013's or just some anecdotal observations? The EPA ratings for the FB are better so one would think it would also translate into better mpg in the real world and, if not, then why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh View Post
- Suspension a little harsh. Some people like the more isolated feel at the expense of handling.
I've never driven a 2013 but that was CR's observation but with improvement in emergency handling. I like the softer ride for the many pothole riddled roads I travel - much better ride than my two previous cars that were a jarring experience.
-Port Installed Options: Remote Starter, 110V Outlet, Illum Pkg, Hood Protector, Sunroof Deflector, Splash Guards, Rear Net, Rear Bumper Cover, AW Floor Mats, Back Up Warning Sensor, Style Toned Pinstrip
-Self Installed Options: 19mm RSB, Rear Seat Net, Side Nets, Puddle Lights, Body Side Molding, Cargo Organizer, Rear Bumper Corner Moldings, HD Cargo Basket

2013 Suzuki Burgman 400ABS
1993 SAAB 900S Convertible w/29,000 miles
2004 Kubota RTV900
lloyd123 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
pgh

I think the MPG statement is just based on some of the comments I have heard, but I certainly like to do some more in depth analysis. Anyway, this morning I was out and witnessed this traction issue from the rear. I made a left turn from a stop on a slightly ice packed section of road and got the rear of the car to swing around, traction control system was late to the game in trying to correct. So. I'm assuming the comment from NICKSHU was the 13 model is better in this regard is spot on. Perhaps the rear ends are better planted than the 10-12's and the traction control software is quicker to react or the processor is upgraded
Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5i/CVT/Graphite Gray

I think it is still too early to really call out the FB engine as having worse fuel economy.. most of us are still very early with our 2013s and we haven't been through summer weather.

With 2500 miles on the ODO mine is kind of hinting the fuel economy might be getting better.. my first 4-5 tanks of gas were all around 22-23mpg in city driving.. now it is holding more like 25mpg. But this is all still winter driving. Mine has never seen "summer gas".

Another benefit of the 2013 is the IIHS Top Safety Pick + rating due to the improvements to the side airbag behavior.

Personally the suspension is a big deal to me... I would not want a softer/floatier suspension tune.

I haven't had many opportunities to try sliding my 2013.. I did floor it at low speed going around a 90 degree corner in 3-4 inches of snow and the back does not step out much at all.. the traction control pretty much transparently made it seem like the car wasn't sliding, and it didn't feel like the gas was being cut significantly like in some cars I've driven. Is this different than what a 2010-2012 would do?
beninma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: '13 Outback 3.6R SAP

I like the stiffer suspension. The #1 reason I traded my 2012 for 2013. For me I came to Subaru from a lifetime of European cars, so I guess I am used to (and prefer) a tighter suspension and handling more than many people do.
2013 Volvo C70 Retractable Hardtop Convertible - Wife's DD
1964 Corvair Spyder (Factory turbo) Convertible - Rotisserie restoration in progress
Prior cars: 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited, Ford Flex, Porsche 911SC, Volvo V40, Various Saabs 900(2)/9000(2)/9-3(1), VW GTI
Nickshu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
I like the stiffer suspension. The #1 reason I traded my 2012 for 2013. For me I came to Subaru from a lifetime of European cars, so I guess I am used to (and prefer) a tighter suspension and handling more than many people do.
My 2010 had marshmallow suspension. The 2013 is more what I would expect it to be. Better handling but I wouldn't consider it harsh at all, after all it is my wife's car. As far as the mpg goes my 2010 was getting 27.0 and the 2013 is getting 27.3. Same roads, same commute, same driver. I can't wait to get to summer gas to see how much better it really is. Lots of improvements going from the 2010 to the 2013 (even the simple things like headlight flash at overpasses is fixed). Fogs are nice, they went back to the Subie look. I still have my 2010 Legacy just to remind me of the way things used to be. Soon that will be replaced by a Forester XT.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 SAP

As for mpg, current numbers at Fuelly for the 2.5 are 23.8 for the 2013 and 25.0 for the 2012 following 96 and 92 cars respectively. 1114 fill-ups for the '13's and 2632 fill-ups on the '12's. Personally I'm averaging 21.5mpg after 4500 miles. We'll have to see if Summer weather and gas bring the '13 averages up to previous years.
etimer13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
pgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
I think it is still too early to really call out the FB engine as having worse fuel economy.. most of us are still very early with our 2013s and we haven't been through summer weather.

With 2500 miles on the ODO mine is kind of hinting the fuel economy might be getting better.. my first 4-5 tanks of gas were all around 22-23mpg in city driving.. now it is holding more like 25mpg. But this is all still winter driving. Mine has never seen "summer gas".

Another benefit of the 2013 is the IIHS Top Safety Pick + rating due to the improvements to the side airbag behavior.

Personally the suspension is a big deal to me... I would not want a softer/floatier suspension tune.

I haven't had many opportunities to try sliding my 2013.. I did floor it at low speed going around a 90 degree corner in 3-4 inches of snow and the back does not step out much at all.. the traction control pretty much transparently made it seem like the car wasn't sliding, and it didn't feel like the gas was being cut significantly like in some cars I've driven. Is this different than what a 2010-2012 would do?
Interesting, My 10 is not transparent, in fact, I do feel the power being cut and If I did what you did I'm sure I would do a 360 before it was all over. Anybody else feel a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: