Should I buy my first Subaru Outback now or wait for 2014 model? - Page 3 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Legacy Limited CVT Car: 2011 Outback Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Mazda MX5 GT 6MT Bike: 2003 Honda GL1800ABS ** Reunite Gondwanaland! **
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_outback View Post

I dont think I am the kind that will change cars often...

Someone mentioned getting the kids tablets instead of rear
entertainment system ... what do others think of this idea?
If you don't trade-in for the latest model every 2-3 years, avoid
integrated in-car electronics packages like the plague. Anything
that looks/sounds "high tech" today will be laughably obsolete
before the new car smell wears off.

Even when brand-spanking-new, how many software developers
would you guess are writing "apps" for the Gen4 OB headrests?
And what if he gets a real job?

...an 8-track cassette deck doesn't enhance resale value,

Looby
2003 Honda Goldwing ... 1.8L H6
1960 Porsche 356B S90 . 1.6L H4
1942 Muhammed Ali ...... 6'3" H2
Looby is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Pearl White Limited /SAP/Moonroof+ many other goodies
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looby View Post
...an 8-track cassette deck doesn't enhance resale value,

Looby

But this will.....Should I buy my first Subaru Outback now or wait for 2014 model?-car-record-player.jpg.....

Oh Yeah.....
Old 04-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #23 (permalink)

Car: '13 OBW SAP 3.6R

Take a look at the Special Appearance Package if you are looking for a somewhat luxury look. The seat color may not be your choice (honestly was not my first either) but after time it has really grown on me. You could still factory order and use the time between the order and delivery to wait for more news about the 2014 changes if any.
digdah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #24 (permalink)

Car: '13 OB, Black, SAP

I would not get the rear entertainment system, while it may be a "cool" thing to have, your money is well spent on other options. For my three year old I purchased off Ebay a Car mount for portable electronics and mounted it to his car seat.

When he grows out of the safety seat the device can be bolted to the the bolts which hold the seats down. After modifying it a bit he can mount his IPad, portable DVD player, and Leap Pad on there.

Quote:

Someone mentioned getting the kids tablets instead of rear entertainment system: I am intrigued..what do others think of this idea? my kids are 8 and 4 right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I buy my first Subaru Outback now or wait for 2014 model?-93_2.jpg  
Primitive Racing front/rear skid plate, King rear springs, 19mm RSB, Venture shield paint protection film, Chrome turn signal bulbs, Weather tech digital fit liners, seat back protectors, HID headlamps, Hella FF55 driving lights, XPel headlight protection film, smoke Headlight Armor taillight film, hood deflector.
JCBERB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #25 (permalink)

Very interesting JCberb and looby..JCberd: is that equipment flexible i.e. can it fold out of the way easily to not get in the way? How little a bit is the modification needed to fit other electronics on it? What is it called for me to do a bit more research on it? I have never heard of/seen such an option before! makes sense now: it will not be long before they outgrow the entertainment system and would love to work on their own ipads or tablets. My kids are 8 and 4.
Digdah - they are not accepting 2013 model factory orders anymore nor have they started accepting 2014 model orders. I am stuck to whatever inventory is out there. I dont exactly drive at speed limit and I really want the bigger engine, but there are not that many of them out there, definitely not in my choice of color (Cypress green pearl). I actually looked to buy 6 months ago too and even then there were not many 3.6R available.
newbie_outback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #26 (permalink)

ooh another question: I really like the idea of the mobile internet package: do you recommend it? If it works fine, should I skip the integrated navigation system option too?
newbie_outback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #27 (permalink)

Car: '13 Outback 3.6R Limited
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

tablet headrest mount. As far as the mobile internet package I would look at Virgin Mobile broadband2go: Pay as you go!

catric69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #28 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Outback 3.6R

Just go for the 3.6 - great car that will likely give you many years and miles of enjoyment. Forget the built in entertainment system - overpriced for what it delivers - tablets are the way to go - more portable and versatile for everyone in the family.
skeetjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #29 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB 2.5i Limited -GONE!

Quote:
I have loyally held on to my first car, a green VW Jetta sedan 2001 year model. It held up quite nicely all these years. It only has 67000 miles on it. However few things changed:
1) I have 2 kids now and even though they are skinny kids, even they are having trouble getting in and out of it car pool..too tight..
2) not enough storage: for driver or passengers

Please help a gal out with some kind advice!
You situation is almost exactly the same as ours was when we bought our OB. Traded our trusty but worn (130K mi) 2000 Jetta that we bought new for the OB and had 2 kids of similar age.

The first thing I'll suggest is that you test drive the OB (if you haven't yet). Going from the Jetta's steering to the OB is a huge leap. If you desire the comforting 'Germanic feel' of predictability, control, and feedback that the Jetta has, you will be disappointed w/ the OB. The steering is almost the exact opposite with its thick/heavy/numb feel, no centering and little useful feedback.

If you're OK with the power that your Jetta has, you'll be fine with the 2.5L four cylinder OB. Our Jetta had the lovely VR6 six cylinder and while our OB 2.5 isn't quite as spirited, its fine for our use.

I'll also agree with the tablets for kids. Portable, upgradable, and vehicle independent is the way to go with electronics...

Good luck!
Spindle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #30 (permalink)

Car: 2013 2.5 Limited Pearl White SAP

I thought BMW is no longer making 3 Series wagons?? Audi only offers the All-Road hence the reason we are looking at an OB.

Frankly, there is no other wagon out there, just cross overs.

Last edited by BigEyeDuck; 04-08-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typo
BigEyeDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: