Subaru Outback Forums banner

Black out Headlights - Baking headlight

34K views 49 replies 21 participants last post by  gkfromnj 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Just picked up a 2014 Outback today. Really excited to learn more about it and maybe do a few mods. I will end up putting some wheels on it, tint front windows, and hopefully get rid of most of the chrome.

This is my 4th Subaru now and this will be my first N/A (Non turboed) car. I had a 2012 STi that was just traded in... A baby due in about 4 days! So had to think about a better family car.

The 2012 STi's came with chrome headlights also. I baked and painted them... but I have been unable to find any Outbacks with the same kind of mod. Couple pictures below of how I did the STi lights...

What do you guys think? Will it look good on the Outback to have this done???

Here are the past cars.... incase you all wanted to check them out.

2012 STi

08 Spec B

05 STi

See less See more
#4 ·
I just plasti-dipped my grill and love it. I'd love to do the same to the headlights, but seems like a lot of work. I'm gonna have to do some research on what's involved. Think it would look good with my pearl white. Been going for a nice blacked out look between the grill/tint/Yakima rack/lower bumpers.

I'd love to see how yours turns out with the headlights blacked out!

#6 ·
Or trade/buy the SAP headlights. 2013+ legacy headlights are also blacked out from the factory.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. I will more then likely end up doing this. I will make sure to document it all and make a thread on it. My brother and I have done a few sets on different Subarus. The pain is normally getting the front bumper off the car. I'll start a build/member thread once I start mods.

Anyone running decent sized wheels on these? I see a lot of 18s but they still looks small. I kind of want to try some 19+ and lower the car a bit, but looks like there are not really decent options for lowering. Nothing specifically for our cars.

#8 ·
There's a few threads on lowering the outback either on Legacy struts or coils.

I'm planning on going 18x8 TSW wheels on my outback. Lowering defeats the purpose of me purchasing this car, but it would look nice lowered slightly.

#14 ·
Hey OP,
Also there are suspension mods out there, check out this thread here. --> http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...p-sap-3-6r-purchase-experience-plus-more.html

Also,
The black headlights from subaru are a little over 250 a piece.
From subarugenuineparts.com

Item Name and Options1 Make Model Year Qty Price
HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY RIGHT
[Part#: 84001AJ22A] Subaru 0 1 256.16
HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY LEFT
[Part#: 84001AJ23A] Subaru 0 1 256.16
Sub Total:
Shipping Total:$39.00
(+) Sales Tax @ 0%
Order Total: $512.32
$0.00
Grand Total: $551.32

#21 ·
Baking the lights allows the OEM sealant to loosen up so that you can disassemble the lights without the risk of breaking them. I baked and pulled apart the headlights on my Accord without much difficulty. I think I used about 140 degrees for 11 minutes and they just came apart. Once they were apart I painted the low beam bucket black and retrofitted a bi xenon projector. It looks good and I would do it to our OB if we were going to keep it.

#24 ·
I'll work on the DIY thread for the process tonight hopefully. We will see... my wife and I are expecting our baby boy any minute now... his due date was yesterday. Here is a picture of the final product for now, before & after shot. I think it turned out amazing!

What do you guys think??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.