What Gen 4 common issues remain? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default What Gen 4 common issues remain?

Been scoping out the site for a while and have read a ton of great info, but I can't tell exactly what of the more "common" issues still exist on the 4th gen. I've read about the steering wheel shake, the hesitations, the cold weather or high altitude starting issues, and a few others.

From what I can tell these things have largely been addressed (I think?) and shouldn't be in the 2013/14 runs, but I don't see a clear thread out that highlights what issues are fully resolved and what may remain.

Can any of you guys help me consolidate any issues with the 4th gen that may still be current and that I would want to be aware of if I were to purchase soon?
vector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hmmmmm...

Factory nav still sucks and no diesel option - lol.

Hopefully, others will chime in!

Joel

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT

My 13 wanders making it the most tiring vehicle to drive that I have ever driven, you will find a thread on here about wandering.
Test drive the actual car you are buying, I found out the hard way that these Subaru's are not all built the same because the one I test drove was great but mine is a piece of ****.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

My 2012 3.6 outback is perfect. No problems. Most cars have no real problems, they just don't post much. Best thing you can do is a test drive and pay attention. Don't prejudge based on most of the crazy comments you see on this forum.
mrlenjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT

Try driving on the highway when it's windy and make sure both hands on the wheel. They have a tendency to get a bit squirrely when the winds catches the Outback.

Also, brake pedal may feel soft.

Deanski
Deanski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a 2014 OB and have had it three weeks - I bought it with 224 miles on the odometer and now have 2500miles - I drive A LOT! lol

I did notice a wandering for the first 1000 miles but none since. For me, the Nav works fine and I have used it in St Louis without issues.

Everything works just like it should.....
TraumaRUs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 3.6

I had a 2011 3.6 and felt it wandering on the highway...seemed like it had to be corrected all the time. Changed the sway bar and it helped some. I traded on 2014 3.6 with all the same options. It is a totally different car. Doesn,t wander or sway...handles better-just totally improved. Obviously the 2011 was not that bad or I would not have bought the same car. The auto on headlight problem has been replaced. It now has a temperature guage. The dash is nicer in the Limited. The Continental GW tires seem better so far-will say more after winter. I think most things are about right now. Subaru seemed to actually listen to our comments. Try one!
justtony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Tourism Package.

OK, so , where do i begin.....

Urban gas consumption really much higher than expected, 40% more than the official numbers in city only ride.
Low quality of plastics and fabrics compared to the previous generation
body panels seem really thin and fragile
continental tires are not among the best
car has a lot of wind noise on the highway
6 speakers radio system is crap
cannot set the passenger seat up and down
car frame is not very rigid
why is there only a net behind the passenger seat ? why not at the back of the driver seat ?
no rear air-vent on my Tourism pack version
Canada price way, way too high
brakes are spongy
engine sometimes asks for a bit more horsepower
Accessories are very expensive and not always nice (winter carpets)
seats are too short for my not so long legs...
silver painted dash parts scratches easily
no one touch powered window on passenger side
Bluetooth is not reliable

and i forget some............

conclusion : the worst car i had in years !!!
really loved my 2006 9-2x...
won't have the money to change before 2015, subaru will have to work very hard to see me again...
Should have done my homework better !!!
migoo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT

I'd drive the car before purchasing and if it feels at all funny just have the dealer check the alignment. I wouldn't say our Outback wanders, but it does follow the road crown more than I'd like. My brother, who has owned four Subies, actually warned me about that as a Subie thing.

The 2013-14 Outbacks do have the FB engines and I keep reading about whether they have an oil burning issue. For me it's just a reminder to check the oil. It's a bit of a change after 20 years of never having added or worried about oil burning, but admittedly, I've also had to add oil to my Honda Fit, which has 45K on it now. In any case, I've only added a 1/4 quart in the first 3,000 miles in the Outback.

Other than that, personally I think the issues have been sorted out. We're very happy with it so far.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2013 OB 3.6R Ltd

I had a 2010 and a 2011. Both had shakes. I drove other 2011 OBs and all did it to some degree. A neighbor friend who works at SOA told me, sort of privately, that their engineers knew about it in pre-production but underestimated how to solve the problem. Everyone at SOA told me "we have done everything we can do" and so they bought the cars back. They were great about it.

However, I missed the Outback. So I researched the 2013 partial re-design and talked to my friend at SOA again. The shake is now resolved, and so I bought a 2013 3.6. My only complaints about the new one are the wandering and maybe the road noise. Also the tech on the phone interface is pretty primitive, insofar as it doesn't integrate with any smartphone. I have to dial by number or manually load contacts. So 2005.

I initially didn't know what people meant by "wandering" and ignored the posts about it. But I noticed at highway speeds that sometimes the new car would try to leave the lane if I took my eyes off the road for even a second. In my case, my tires were quite a bit over-inflated. I adjusted them to the factory specs plus 2 lbs and it's way better.

As for road noise, I think a lot of it is the tires and the fact that they don't do a "luxury car" level of cabin insulation. I like my cars very quiet, so I spent about $130 on a bulk pack of Dynamat Xtreme and spent a couple of hours taking apart the interior and lining the areas that I could reach. Worked great. I'd really like to pick up another box and do the door panels but that's a project for another day.
mtberman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: