Factory Remote Start or Viper - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i - Sparco Wheels, Dipped Fog Lights, Heated Seats, Remote Start, and Heated Seats.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Factory Remote Start or Viper

I am looking to add remote start to my '11 OB. The dealer has quoted me around $500 installed. I have found it online for $277 and then $50 to program if I installed it myself. The other option is the Viper value 2-way remote start. BestBuy has it for around $270 installed plus maybe a relay. Is there any real benefit of the factory over something like the Viper? The Viper one has a long range, and doesn't shut off when you open the door. Also, is there anyway to program the factory remote start so the car doesn't shut off if you open the door within the 15 minute run time?

Thanks.
barry575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited (special appearance) Black 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry575 View Post
I am looking to add remote start to my '11 OB. The dealer has quoted me around $500 installed. I have found it online for $277 and then $50 to program if I installed it myself. The other option is the Viper value 2-way remote start. BestBuy has it for around $270 installed plus maybe a relay. Is there any real benefit of the factory over something like the Viper? The Viper one has a long range, and doesn't shut off when you open the door. Also, is there anyway to program the factory remote start so the car doesn't shut off if you open the door within the 15 minute run time?

Thanks.

I've heard many horror stories of aftermarket remote start installs by Best Buy-type places (20-something year olds with no real auto-install . Rather than take a gamble on saving the money upfront, it's best to get it done right the first time. Depending on how often you plan to use the RS, I always recommend a good aftermarket brand like Viper, although there are other brands as well that are as good if not better. Most OEM RS FOBs are weak in comparison to a strong 2-way FOB. $500 is the appropriate ballpark price for a good 2-way RS install. I've also had friends of mine that successfully installed on their own, so I guess YMMV.
Darkblash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback 2.5i - Sparco Wheels, Dipped Fog Lights, Heated Seats, Remote Start, and Heated Seats.

The BestBuy install is the one part that bothers me. The main concern about the factory remote start is how it shuts the car off as soon as you open the door. I know this is a safety thing, but isn't that hard on the car to shut off and then start again 30 seconds later? If the factory could be programmed to not do that, then I would sacrifice range for the factory wiring plug.
barry575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry575 View Post
The BestBuy install is the one part that bothers me. The main concern about the factory remote start is how it shuts the car off as soon as you open the door. I know this is a safety thing, but isn't that hard on the car to shut off and then start again 30 seconds later? If the factory could be programmed to not do that, then I would sacrifice range for the factory wiring plug.
Isn't the engine shut off/door open meant to prevent theft of the unoccupied, running car?
Since the OB has CAN/Bus with easily fried modules, the only thing I would add to the system is OEM PnP.
'12 Outback Limited 2.5i, Cypress Green Pearl, sunroof, illumination package #2, rear bumper guard, puddle lights, mudflaps, no nav
'10 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4X2 long bed
'86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, restored, original, stock
'14 Harley Davidson FXDC
upflying is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Isn't the engine shut off/door open meant to prevent theft of the unoccupied, running car?
They didn't do that until current Gen cars. Other manufacturers don't do that. Personally I think it's a liability thing. As far as theft, you can't open the doors without a key or remote to unlock them. Even then the car shuts off if you press the brake without the key in the ignition. You can't shift the car without pressing the brake. Even if the shifter were overriden, the steering wheel would still be locked, so you can't turn it. If someone can override all 3 of those systems, chances are they'd have the car regardless of the remote starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblash View Post
I've heard many horror stories of aftermarket remote start installs by Best Buy-type places (20-something year olds with no real auto-install . Rather than take a gamble on saving the money upfront, it's best to get it done right the first time. Depending on how often you plan to use the RS, I always recommend a good aftermarket brand like Viper, although there are other brands as well that are as good if not better. Most OEM RS FOBs are weak in comparison to a strong 2-way FOB. $500 is the appropriate ballpark price for a good 2-way RS install. I've also had friends of mine that successfully installed on their own, so I guess YMMV.
I agree with Darkblash. I went the OEM route, I had read and seen so many cases where aftermarket systems were put in cheaply, using your valet key and basically overriding all security systems. BUT once I really researched it, I found out that a quality installation can use a relay similar to how the OEM does, so you are losing a key and it's still very safe and PNP. Just find a local installation place that specializes in car alarms.

If I had it to do again, I'd go aftermarket, unless Subaru goes back to allowing you to open a door with the starter engaged. We honestly use the starte less often because of this.

Subies of Past:
'98 Impreza L Coupe | '05 Impreza RS | '08 Legacy GT
vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)

I now did this remote start thing 3 different ways on the gen4 Subaru. I first ordered my 2010 OB with factory RS installed. This is a cost effective, hassle free, risk free way of getting RS. The drawbacks are shutting off when door is opened and 400' range. Both of these are not so bad and there is a thread on workarounds for the car shutting off when the door is opened.
Next I purchased a brand new unopened Subaru RS on ebay for $100. and self installed it in my 2010 Legacy. Dealer charged me around $55. to program it's ID into the ECU. This was real cost effective but I had to install it myself and still had the same issues as above.
Next we traded in the 2010 OB for a 2013 without factory RS. I had a Viper 4203v installed for $399. I like this option the best. No shutting off when door is opened, 2000' range, 2 way feedback, lifetime warranty. The risk you incur here is install risk. Pick a good installer (certainly not Best Buy) and ask questions up front.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback Premium CVT 2.5i - Caramel Bronze Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
I now did this remote start thing 3 different ways on the gen4 Subaru. I first ordered my 2010 OB with factory RS installed. This is a cost effective, hassle free, risk free way of getting RS. The drawbacks are shutting off when door is opened and 400' range. Both of these are not so bad and there is a thread on workarounds for the car shutting off when the door is opened.
Next I purchased a brand new unopened Subaru RS on ebay for $100. and self installed it in my 2010 Legacy. Dealer charged me around $55. to program it's ID into the ECU. This was real cost effective but I had to install it myself and still had the same issues as above.
Next we traded in the 2010 OB for a 2013 without factory RS. I had a Viper 4203v installed for $399. I like this option the best. No shutting off when door is opened, 2000' range, 2 way feedback, lifetime warranty. The risk you incur here is install risk. Pick a good installer (certainly not Best Buy) and ask questions up front.
Bingo we have a winner.

Sammi

Sammi1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2013 Outback, E93 and E36 BMWs

I have had both Viper and my current RS factory install. Both are excellent but I really dislike the shut off feature opening the door which is not the case on the Forester by the way.
I will get a RS again but it will be a Viper system installed after I get my 15 OB to avoid the shut off when door opening.

I think post 6 is the path I took as well and my end result would be not to get the factory system but the Viper or other high end system installed by someone that is in the business and does this daily...
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl

I can understand the convenience/usefulness of RS (my former 06 Accord, now my son’s car is parked in the driveway). Off topic… I wonder with OEM/AM RS proliferation will they eventually be outlawed (new OEM/AM installs after x date), by way of Big Brother.
Do Euro brands even have an OEM RS acc/option? Munich (July 2012) while waiting for my daughter buying coffee, I was idling/AC-on parked at the curb when a cop knocked on my window to shut off the engine - Wasteful Americans, I’m sure he thought afterwards. IIRC idling was limited to 3mins, but most definitely you could not legally be idling ‘without a licensed driver in the vehicle’.
GasGuzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: '11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGuzz View Post
I wonder with OEM/AM RS proliferation will they eventually be outlawed (new OEM/AM installs after x date), by way of Big Brother.
I don't doubt it. It really is a huge waste of fuel, but it sure is nice getting in a warm car . I think they have bigger things to concentrate on and more resourceful ways to manipulate fuel consumption than RS.

Subies of Past:
'98 Impreza L Coupe | '05 Impreza RS | '08 Legacy GT
vr4Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: