Subaru Outback Forums banner

Gen 4 DIY Guides

166K views 55 replies 34 participants last post by  mebnIl 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
2010 - 2013 (Gen 4) DIY Guides

I thought it might be handy to have a compiled list of links to the various Gen 4 DIY guides, it just makes it easier to find stuff instead of searching or digging through the DYI forum manually.

It's obviously a work in progress but I hope other folks will find this useful and maybe we can get a sticky?

Mods
118db Hella Supertone Horns Install (w/SubiMods Relay Kit) - itzlinky
Hella Supertone Install - Peaty
Independent On/Off switch for Outback Puddle Lights - chaakin
HID Install instructions - DM3415
Foldable Side Mirror Kit - Retrofit for 2010 Legacy/OB - Peaty
Navigation System Tips, Tricks and Override - eps105
Perrin Axle Back Exhaust Install - Peaty (working link in 8th post)
Rear Sway Bar Install - problemchild200
OB rear hatch interior disassembly & Backup Camera Install - Dzd
Stainless Steel Clutch Line Install - Peaty (For WRX but should be similar for any manual Subie)
V1 w/ Remote display hard wire install MY 2010 - Peaty
taiguy's Car Stereo Install Log (Contains lots of trim and interior removal) - taiguy
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...7-gen-4-interior-illumination-kit-2012-a.html -iainb

Maintenance
Foglight Replacement on 2010 Outback - travis8798
Fog Lamp Replacement - Upgrade 2010 - Peaty
3.6R Oil change - the evil twin
Squeaky Tailgate - pairadux
Cabin Air Filter replacement - Peaty (working link in 3rd post)
Polish Fogged Headlights - bikemobile
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...lacing-tie-rod-control-arm-picture-guide.html -taiguy
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-2011-2-5i-cvt-differential-fluid-change.html

Misc
H6 Motor Cover Removal - Peaty (link currently broken)

Resources
UV Penetration of Factory Glass - Thai
Bluetooth Phone Compatibility - Subaru.com
User Manuals - Subaru.com

Updated 5/12/2011

See less See more
#4 ·
Great stuff! I have one dumb, newby question. How much oil does the 2.5 take on refill, filter and all? The book says 4.4 quarts, but is a little vague, and the 3.6 takes more that it says in the book.
If no one answers before next week, I will post the answer when I do my first OC. Thanks.

#11 ·
I noticed that post #1 is the one being updated and recalled that the ability to Edit a post in these forums is limited to one month. (I just checked my own posts and found the Edit button disappeared for posts prior to the 11th of March.) That would mean after May 8, new Gen 4 DIYs etc could not be added to the list in post #1. Perhaps a moderator or the Administrator can clarify and/or set it for you so that it can be.

#16 ·
Done.

PM me next time, I'm rarely away from the site for more than 24 hours.

#23 ·
2013 Outback 3.6R... Block Heater

Hello Forum,

First-time poster here. Just bought a new 2013 Outback with the 3.6R. This is my second Subaru, so I'm still a little new to the "family."

My question is: Has anyone out there dealt with installing a block heater in a 3.6R engine? If so, is it worth it to do this myself, or should I just let the dealership mechs install this for $100? I guess the real question is, how difficult is this install (dealership has only 1 hour in the books) and is the $100 really worth the lack of mess and head/heartache?

Thanks!

#24 ·
block heater

Hello Forum,

First-time poster here. Just bought a new 2013 Outback with the 3.6R. This is my second Subaru, so I'm still a little new to the "family."

My question is: Has anyone out there dealt with installing a block heater in a 3.6R engine? If so, is it worth it to do this myself, or should I just let the dealership mechs install this for $100? I guess the real question is, how difficult is this install (dealership has only 1 hour in the books) and is the $100 really worth the lack of mess and head/heartache?

Thanks!
I plan on putting one in my 3.6R this fall. The instructions don't look that daunting, but then I do all my own maintenance on my cars once out of warranty. If I get to it first I'll post my experiences.

Jeff

#34 ·
has anyone put together a timing belt /water pump guide up for gen 4? If not when I get around to doing mine in the next 60 days I will try to remember to take some photos and notes.

#36 ·
I did mine a year ago and the FSM procedure is very thorough and easy to follow. The hardest part was lining up the water pump gasket. I made my own crank pulley removal tool as well. I'll see if I can pull together which pages of the FSM to look for and the schematic I followed for the pulley remover.

#37 ·
Crank Pulley Removal tool info http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/gen-2-2000-2004/29946d1366116292-crank-pulley-hold-tool-crank-holding-tool-model-multi-holes.pdf

...from this post http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/35083-crank-pulley-hold-tool.html#post570794

I ended up making mine out of plywood.

As for pages of the FSM, if you can find the pdfs online...
1. CO(H4SO)-14
2. CO(H4SO)-24
3. CO(H4SO)-26
4. CO(H4SO)-25
5. ME(H4SO)-43
6. ME)H4SO)-45
7. ME)H4SO)-47
8. ME)H4SO)-48
9. CO(H4SO)-18
10. CO(H4SO)-16

I went through those pages in that order and went backwards through them for reassembly. I would post the pdfs online and link them, but I'm not exactly clear on the legality of that...and I don't have the space in my dropbox. Sorry, that's the best I can do for a DIY Guide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.