2011 Outback Steering Wheel Shimmy - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback/2008 Outback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2011 Outback Steering Wheel Shimmy

Picked up my new 2011 Outback Limited on June 6th. I got 5 miles from the dealer onto the highway, hit 65 and couldn't hold on to the steering wheel, the shimmy was so bad. Went back to the dealer. They drove the car and said they adjusted the tire pressure. Left for home and the "really bad" shimmy was gone, but the steering wheel still has a shimmy/vibration from 45mph up to 75 mph. The dealer said to bring it in at the first oil change if I could live with the problem till then, which I am doing. But, my arms and hands get tired from holding a steering wheel that just vibrates like a massage chair.

Hopefully Subaru will fix this problem. I've heard the problem could be tires, tire pressure, tire's out of round, to bushings. Time will tell. So far, Subaru has always taken care of any problems I have had.

BTW, We're a 2 Outback family (2011/2008). The 2011 will be the 6th Subaru we've owned.
f2000ez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '08 Veracruz Limited

There are multiple threads regarding this problem. Here's one:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...shake-255.html
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5iL - Graphite Gray (bought back)

Can the mods make that other "big" thread sticky? I guess most of us are following that one.
radiuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2000ez View Post
Picked up my new 2011 Outback Limited on June 6th. I got 5 miles from the dealer onto the highway, hit 65 and couldn't hold on to the steering wheel, the shimmy was so bad. Went back to the dealer. They drove the car and said they adjusted the tire pressure. Left for home and the "really bad" shimmy was gone, but the steering wheel still has a shimmy/vibration from 45mph up to 75 mph. The dealer said to bring it in at the first oil change if I could live with the problem till then, which I am doing. But, my arms and hands get tired from holding a steering wheel that just vibrates like a massage chair.

Hopefully Subaru will fix this problem. I've heard the problem could be tires, tire pressure, tire's out of round, to bushings. Time will tell. So far, Subaru has always taken care of any problems I have had.

BTW, We're a 2 Outback family (2011/2008). The 2011 will be the 6th Subaru we've owned.
Just out of curiosity....what is the build date of your car (on lower drivers door post). If it is late spring...late May or even early June and the problem still persists then that, to me, does not bode well on their search for a fix...
The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

scoobydoo2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Have
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2000ez View Post

orparks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: '08 Veracruz Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by orparks View Post
Have
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: