2010 3.6R Shaker =long winded - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2012 OB 3.6R Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2010 3.6R Shaker =long winded

My wife and I ordered our 3.6R from our local dealer in January 2010. Our dealer didn't have the trim level or color that we liked. My wife and I both thought that if we were going to pay 30K+ for a car, we better get what we wanted.

Our build date = 1/2010

My wife noticed a shaking sensation in the OB the summer of 2011 on the interstate. She thought initially that she had a flat tire. No, no flat tire.

The shaking occurred between 75-80mph. You could feel the shaking in the seats, steering wheel and floorboards. It seemed to be at it's worse when cruising down the highway at a constant speed. I can't imagine setting the cruise control on 78mph and shaking 2-3hrs down the road.

After reading up on the different problems people were having and watching some of the video people took, I decided to take it in to have it looked at. The dealership completed the wiper motor cover recall and adjusted the windshield washers along with looking at the shake.

The service rep initially told me to be very vague with the description of the problem so that the techs might have to try a little harder to figure out what was wrong. I told him that I was having vibration in the car between 70-80mph. Okay, they looked at it.

The service rep - The tech drove your car and cannot replicate the problem.
Me - Did you drive it up to 70mph.
SR - Our techs cannot drive over the posted speed limit. (The posted speed limit is 55mph and the interstate is a good 20minute drive from the dealership).
Me - Can I come in and drive it to show you the problem?
SR - sure, come by later tonight.

So I went in and drove the car with him sitting in the pass. seat. He admitted he could feel the vibration once we hit 75mph.

So they performed an alignment to the car and told me to come pick it up.

My wife and I drove the car for a couple of days and nothing had changed. So the car went back to the dealership.

The service rep contacted SOA and asked what should be done. SOA agreed to get me in a loaner while they performed a Road Force Balance. Now, my dealership couldn't prefromed the RFB, so they subbed it out to a different shop.

They had me pick the car up after the RFB and drive it some more. The vibration was worse. The vibration started around 60mph and lasted thru 80mph and the overall feel of the vibration was more pronounced. I called the service rep back and told him what was going on. He asked if I could give him a few days to contact SOA again, okay.

A week or so later I called the Service rep. He wanted me to bring it back in so they could replace some parts. I asked if they would be completing the TSB. He wasn't sure. So I dropped the car on Tuesday morning and picked up last night (Friday).

They replaced the steering wheel, steering column, steering column bushings, lower control arms, and a bunch of bushings in the front suspension.

I asked if this was the TSB, the Service rep said, Yes we completed the second part of the TSB.

My initial impressions - There is no shaking at all. There might be a slight vibration at 70mph, but not enough to be alarmed or anything. I don't think a stranger would know the difference. The steering seems lighter and the steering and front suspension seem to communicate less of the road feel from previous.

I'm not completely sold that the car is fixed. It seems that people are having the vibration return 5000 or so miles after the TSB is completed. So long term, I'm thinking that if the vibration returns, I will ask SOA to buy the car back. But then what to do? Do I purchase a new OB or look elsewhere? My wife really loves this car and so do I. We had planned on keeping it for 10+ years.
secaII4884 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by secaII4884 View Post

Our build date = 1/2010

My wife noticed a shaking sensation in the OB the summer of 2011 on the interstate. She thought initially that she had a flat tire. No, no flat tire.

...welcome to the shaker family...although that is kinda like being welcomed to the manson family...lol.

There is lots of info on this forum about the shake. Settle for nothing other than 100% satisfaction when it comes to the fix.
The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

scoobydoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo2 View Post
...welcome to the shaker family...although that is kinda like being welcomed to the manson family...lol.

There is lots of info on this forum about the shake. Settle for nothing other than 100% satisfaction when it comes to the fix.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodKnuts View Post
When you think about it from a company prospective, all they have to do is quiet it until 36k then it is our problem. I am not happy with my outcomes so far. I hope the next try fixes it. I just wish I had found this site before having to search for my shaking issues.

If the 2012's are truly shake free then they know what the issue is, why can't they fix ours that are still shaking?
I agree 100%, I think they want to keep everything cool until 36K and once the warranty expires we're screwed.

Funny thing is - I received a letter in the mail with the Subaru extended warranty offer. I told my wife, that the extended warranty might actually be worth purchasing.

Different car, but when we bought our 07 Honda Fit the sales guy tried to push the extended warranty. I said - If you want me to buy an extended warranty, then that means I'm buying junk right? I can't imagine needing an extended warranty for a Honda. Man, he got upset. In the end I just said - no thanks.

Do we know for sure the 2012 models are shake free? I mean has anyone drove theirs past 10K already. I would think the "shake" thing could take awhile to appear considering my situation.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi, Tow IV Package

I think they have been pretty much vibe free for a while now. I have a 2011 with almost 10k and a coworker has one with 15k and have no issues. There is a little buzz in the steering at 75-80, but nothing different than any other car we have.

-The Titanic was built by professionals, but the Ark by amateurs

-Accelerate until you see God, wait 3 seconds, then hit the brakes.

www.marrc.org
the evil twin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2010 Outback 3.6 Premium
Default These things are junk!

My 10' is a shaker as well. But SOA is useless, my local dealers give them the same brush-off they give me.
Not to mention I've now noticed a dent on the interior window sill where I rest my elbow while driving. I've never seen that on any car I've owned.
Well what can you do, pay it down and trade it in!
JamesBond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 3rd Subaru. 2011 Ouback Limited with NAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodKnuts View Post
Scoobydoo2 is yours 100% shake free now? Can you tell us or link your posts that tell us exactly what you had done to fix it? I had the same stuff done on mine but my steering wheel still shakes and vibrates right on 70 can be felt at lower speeds now too.
?
The long and short..yes i am shake free. AS for the '12's being shake free? I think that there were some engineering changes made to the car as they started to realize that even the TSB's were not working on all the OB's with the issue.

Open a case with SOA...go right to them, bypass the dealer...keep yelling until they give you satisfaction. I was a total of 16 months before everything was resolved...be patient but persistant!!
The human soul, in some ways like good helium, expands to whatever environment it has. Or conversely sinks to whatever ditch it is offered. That's where the real battles are waged-and waged continually. David Adams Richards

ZeeMaps - Subaru Outback.Org Owner Location: Show us where you are.

scoobydoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default What causes the shakes?

I have a 2011 OB with the shakes. I had the "fix" performed by the dealership but the car still shakes. I will hear back this week on what the next step is. Before I have any more work done on this car, I'd really like to know what causes the vibration. Does any one know? Also, has anyone had any luck persuing a buy-back?
myfirstOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstOB View Post
Before I have any more work done on this car, I'd really like to know what causes the vibration. Does any one know?
No. If it was something simple then all the vehicles would shake or would not. But two seemingly identical OB's will not behave the same. Some shake, some don't, others shake mildly enough that most people don't notice, others shake enough to rattle change in a cup holder.

Quote:
Also, has anyone had any luck persuing a buy-back?
Yes. Spend some time reading through this subforum.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2012 3.6R Limited Pearl White Satin

Quote:
Originally Posted by secaII4884 View Post
So they performed an alignment to the car and told me to come pick it up.

My wife and I drove the car for a couple of days and nothing had changed. So the car went back to the dealership.

The service rep contacted SOA and asked what should be done. SOA agreed to get me in a loaner while they performed a Road Force Balance. Now, my dealership couldn't prefromed the RFB, so they subbed it out to a different shop.

They had me pick the car up after the RFB and drive it some more. The vibration was worse. The vibration started around 60mph and lasted thru 80mph and the overall feel of the vibration was more pronounced.
This is why I am so PO with SoA. They are upset at me because I was telling them to communicate better..., but from ur experience sounds like either they don't talk to each other..., or they are just wasting your time... I mean cmon after over a year, they should be familiar with the shake issues, why in the h*ll they keep doing alignment, RFB, etc... trying to save money?

SoA, if it looks like crap, taste like crap, .. then it must be crap, just fix the crap up.

But learn from me..., don't upset them or you end up have to hire a lawyer (I am going to do that). Talk nice to them and kiss their butt. I hope they buy your OB back (don't get a replacement). Good Luck...
gspec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: