The Josh's 05' Outback XT Rebuild - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The Josh's 05' Outback XT Rebuild

i decided to start a new thread covering everything ill be going through and doing to get my outback XT back on the road as our new family car. 2 weeks ago we sold our beloved 2012 outback 3.6r premium in a effort to down size and save money on a car payment. in the meantime or "layover" until the XT is ready its been a bit of a challenge for my wife to drive the 4runner pictured in the background on her errrands around town.

The current status of the XT is the engine is out and the heads are at the machine shop getting a valve job. ive been patiently waiting on new exhaust valves for over a month, i first ordered cosworth but keep getting the run around from the companies i purchased from then lastly cosworth admitting to me they are completely on back order with no specified date of fulfillment. I then cancelled my order and purchased OEM Subaru exhaust valves from GenuineSubaruPartsOnline. the vales are finally here and at the machine shop with a pick up date of this thursday. ive ordered all new Gates timing components, Subaru water pump, thermostat Radiator Cap etc. The Head Gasket kit i went with is the FelPro MLS Head Hasket Set. the only other parts i know i will need are some vaccum, fuels and vent hoses but its such a mess with hoses i dont think i can order them until the engine is installed and im hooking up plumbing

so thru this process ill be reaching out to the knowledgeable member base here for tips and pointers and solutions. the first thing i will need input on is when i was removing the engine i had a brain fart and remove the torque converter with the engine! i printed the manual for reinstalling the torque converter onto the transmission. should i remove the TC from the Engine And Install Onto the transmission OR Install it how i pulled it out? it seems like it would be easier the first way, if i do that anything i should look out for?

here is a picture of the outback as of yesterday

Here is the passenger headlight that i did with the meguairs headlight restore kit (crappy)

Here is the driver side i redid with a high quality 3M 4 stage sanding kit $20

welp thats it for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

My wife and I steam cleaned the interior and I decided to plasti dip the wheels. I was all set to a set of 14' forester xt wheels but they are just too big.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

I put the engine back on the crane today and I noticed a little bit of oil seeped into the exhaust portion of the turbo. Is there anything I should do to clean it or just let it be?

post #4 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 03:47 PM

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
Put in a new turbo?

Any shaft play? How old is the turbo?

If I was that far along with doing what you are doing, I would put in a new turbo. There are a few options...
post #5 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 03:52 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
Put in a new turbo?

If I was that far along with doing what you are doing, I would put in a new turbo. There are a few options...
+1

any failure/issues at the turbo will often correlate to engine failure/issues in a very short amount of time. the heat and pressures involved make failures happen quickly and are less forgiving.

unfortunately turbo's have more parts and maintenance and they are expensive. they generate massive amounts of heat, compression, and use the oil and coolant supplies from the engine.

H6 VDC OBW, H6 OB Sedan, XT6's, castrated LSi - FWD EJ18
post #6 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
Put in a new turbo?

the turbo has about 100k on it

the oil seeped externally when the engine was on a stand on some spilled into it.
post #7 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

No shaft play determined

This bolt seems to be a bit burned off though

post #8 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If it's just oil that spilled on it, I wouldn't worry about it.

The bolt that holds on the exhaust turbine is made that way. Nothing to worry about.

www.lockmedic.com
ben@lockmedic.com

I seem to get a lot of "will xx fit in my car?" emails. . . I'm not the authority on everything Subaru, so I very well may tell you the wrong answer as there's nobody else to check me. Please search or ask via the forums first. . .when I answer you via email, it never gets posted and nobody else can confirm or refute my answer.
post #9 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockmedic View Post
If it's just oil that spilled on it, I wouldn't worry about it.

The bolt that holds on the exhaust turbine is made that way. Nothing to worry about.
awesome thank you very much!
post #10 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 PM

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
Still, at 100k, you have it right there. Could replace it now for no effort with a rebuilt one for $650. Given the history of the 05 turbo, I would do something. I would look here: bnrsupercars.com

At the very least replace both banjo bolt filters.

I assume you've read this: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ki-173358.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: