Why Outback over Forester - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-30-2008, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Why Outback over Forester

Hi again all!

Bias can play a major roll in answering this question but why did all of you favour an Outback over the Forester? My heart is all out for an Outback but my wife favours the other. She was involved in a near death vehicular accident in a Passat Wagon, which literally saved her life and because of this, she will not get into another sedan or vehicle of the same height. She drives a BMW X5.

Given the same VDC, safety features, horsepower etc. is the handling more or less the same to that of an outback? What features did you like in the OBW than that of the Forester.

Your opinion matters alot.

thanks guys!
currahee66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Happy Hunter

Car: 2002 Outback, 2.5L, MT, Metallic Green

A friend of mine owned the Subaru agency in Polokwane in the Limpopo province of South Africa. At his agency I saw an Outback that was involved in an accident with a truck. The driver managed to climb out his Outback and sit next to the road waiting for the emergency services to arrive. He purchased another Outback a few days later.

For me it was the personal preference in a wagon. The Outback also does not look like the standard run of the mill "soft roader". Just as capable as the Forester on a 4x4 track.

My wife is not that fond of the Outback when compared to the Forester, and she wants to replace her Fiat with the newest Forester.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Heh. My wife is the opposite.

Outbacks = win. Forester = meh. She just doesn't like the SUV look of the little guys.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Subaru Impreza UGM
Send a message via AIM to Kerplunk105

My boyfriend has an 02 Passat Wagon. He likes my outback more then his car.

I drove both the Forester and the Outback and thought the outback felt soo much safer then the Forester. I had an Impreza 5-door before.
Kerplunk105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
SubaruOutback.org Founder

Car: 2010 Outback Unfixable Shaker Edition

The seats are more comfortable and come with lumbar support in the Outback, this is my reason why taking any Outback over a Forester. I'm really not joking either, I travel quite a bit as a professional and in my personal time. If I cannot be comfortable or would be less comfortable by comparison, well its a deal-breaker for me as far as a Forester would go. I have always fit into an Outback better whether it be a 2nd or 3rd generation model.

The Forester is still an outstanding vehicle that I would take over anything else in the price range, but I'm still going to stick with an Outback.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: '13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT

I love my OB...great car and perfect for what I need. But if the new (09) Forester had been available when I bought my OB, I would have had a tough choice.

The new Forester has a lot more passenger space than the OB, particularly in the rear seat. In the Forester, there is a sense of being in a spacious vehicle, but the OB feels like you're inside a car. I like space.

Downsides to the Forester in my book: The dash looks cheap in comparison to the OB. That's a big downside in my book because the dash is something that I look at every time I get behind the wheel. The Forester gauges remind me of early-mid 80's GM, and that's not a good thing. The cargo floor of the Forester is kind of odd...it slopes down from the rear seatback to the hatch...if anything round were put in there, it'd roll right out. I have a dog, and I prefer a level cargo area so he isn't laying down on a slope in the car.

Despite the minor gripes I have about the Forester, I would have had a really tough choice between the OB and the Forester if the new Forester had been available when I bought my OB. But that was a non-issue for me since the new Forester didn't hit dealer lots until a couple of months after I bought my OB.

Both are good vehicles...you really can't go wrong with either one.

'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT in Desert Khaki
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Paladin

Car: 2008 Outback 2.5i

get her the Forester....and get you the Outback!!
nurse-gadget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: '03 OBW LTD Black/Black, '10 2.5i Premium Cypress Green
Send a message via AIM to dakboy

The "original" Foresters don't excite me that much. Plus they're smaller than the OB in every dimension except height, IIRC. Not that I wanted a bigger car - I just didn't want something that was so tall. Plus the price was right on the used OB I got and when you're buying used, beggars can't be choosers.

However, when it's time to replace my wife's minivan, I'd like to get her in to an '09+ Forester. And she doesn't mind the styling either.
'10 OB 2.5i Premium Cypress Green CVT
dakboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Superb Moderator

Car: MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT

My wife's MY07 Forester is a great car. VDC that you can turn off (When I am driving...) And an auto tranny for her. A great, safe car that handles much better than the larger OB. However, the newer model Fozzy has changed it's platform so I have no idea how it drives now.

Oh, and we have a FSXT which gives it the power that the N/A dreams of.

Brian
Old 09-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Legionairre

Car: '04 Subaru OBW, '97 BMW M3, '67 Cadillac DeVille convertible, '02 Yamaha R1

I wanted something big enough to travel easily with my two dogs (labs) plus baggage, so it was the Outback/Legacy wagon over the Forester/Impreza, no question. Plus, I happen to not like the looks of the Forester.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: