Subatu diesel and Automatic transmission - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT 2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Subaru diesel and Automatic transmission

Hi everyone!

I wanted to start a new thread about Subaru diesel & automatic transmission. There┤s some rumours around internet but I haven┤t found any official info yet.

In Sweden some journos seem to have some info, like this article: Nya Subaru Outback
(readable w/ google trans. if you don┤t read swedish)

They say that the new automatic transmission come the next year. I asked about this today at the OB testdrive event. The dealer did not want to say anything really specific simply because he did not want to give false promises. But he┤s ┤guess┤ was that probably in the end of year 2010 as a MY2011.

I hope that if some of you know more about the diesel automatic, you┤d share your info/rumour/whatever here in this thread. I for one would really love to buy a new Outback with diesel and automatic transmission.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi

I was told in mid-year (2009) that a diesel automatic wouldn't be available anywhere for at least two years - I too would only only buy another Subaru if it has a diesel automatic, once my local salesman realised he couldn't sell me one just yet he let his guard down and probably talked too much - whether "two" years from mid-2009 means 2011 model year, I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 2.5i automatic Outback but I bought it 18 months old for about half-price so have a pot of money left to pay the fuel bills !!
Ruperts Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 03:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
White-van-man Pro

Car: Outback 2,0D 2009

The journalist who wrote that ; Robert Collin is a huge Volvo lover ( hes also the infamous MB A-class wrecker who cost MB lots of $$$ since he flipped in in the "moose-test", banned for life from MBs press invitations...)

He also a technical moron:

"Outback has a constant four-wheel drive but it is not enough at all times. The electronics that control Viscous coupling unit to the differential does not work always"

So ill take his word on a auto diesel very very lightly since we has bigger mouth then brain.... .
Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

Helll, we didnt even know about the 2010 Outback till about a month before the NY auro show, so subaru knows how to keep a secret. I dont think anyone here knows anything.

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 08 OB

why is it such a big deal to slap an auto (or CVt tranny) onto a diesel????
cptplt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi

Quote:
Originally posted by cptplt
Many customers want automatic transmission, regardless of engine fuelling - that's why the German manufacturers have made automatics available on their diesels for a long time and the rest of European manufacturers are catching up.

Japanese manufacturers seem reluctant to make diesel automatics available despite the fact that Aisin, subsidiary of Toyota, makes many autoboxes suitable for diesels!
Ruperts Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
SubaruOutback.org Founder

Car: 2010 Outback Unfixable Shaker Edition

I don't think it would be difficult to mate Subaru's current 5EAT used on the 3.6L and 2.5XT models. It has proven to be a good transmission and would have the strength to handle the Boxer Diesel's power output. If the Boxer Diesel does make its way to North America I have no doubt that it will have to come with an automatice transmission like the current 5EAT, a stronger CVT, DSG, etc. The American market's demand is overwhelmingly for automatics, I know many people would want a manual with the diesel but at the same time Subaru has to do what's best to sell.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
White-van-man Pro

Car: Outback 2,0D 2009

Same old usual Japanese (and US... ) manufacturer attitude problem; think they KNOW better then the end clients and a very single minded production for the domestic markets needs and requests...

All Japanese manufacturers were late on the European diesel train not taking the demand seriously since it not asked for in their domestic market while Hyundai/Kia were smarter: simply asked what do people want and beat Toyota, Honda & Subaru simply by making sure their SUV had the combo Diesel and auto from day one...
Old 11-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
Send a message via AIM to nipper

Quote:
Originally posted by cptplt
Once again, TEST TEST TEST.

It takes time to get mileage on test units. There may be test mules out there now that we dont know about.

Also a diesel puts out a lof more bottom end torque. SUbaru was (last I heard last year) having problems keeping torque converters from exploding under the extra stress of the added torque. the transmissions themselves were handling the torque.

Automatic diesels have a much differnt gear ratio and shift point need. Afetr the GM fiasco, I would not blame them for being very very careful and making sure the transmission is 200% ready. Diesels in this country have a bad rep to begin with (because of GM). VW makes excellant diesels, and even they have problems getting past this.

In answer your next question, yes there are bigger engines out there that produce more HP, but they also have much more room for much larger torque converters. Sooby is sort of a tight fit to begin with.

nipper
nipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT 2010

Quote:
Originally posted by Gasar-Magnus while Hyundai/Kia were smarter: simply asked what do people want and beat Toyota, Honda & Subaru simply by making sure their SUV had the combo Diesel and auto from day one... [/B]
That┬┤s very much true. Actually I┬┤ve been waiting with great interest to test drive their (Hyundai/Kia) second generation diesel/automatic which is already presented in their home market. 2.2 liter turbodiesel (197bhp/435Nm) mated to all new 6 speed automatic transmission. It should be available for Santa Fe & new Sorento in 2010 in europe as well.

One problem with diesel and automatic is torque and the nature of diesel torque. Very low rpm and high torque means that the torq is pulsating and causing different type of stress on transmission/gears.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: