Subaru Outback Forums banner

Gen 3 seat upgrade?

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  RedGeminiPA 
#1 ·
When I got my 2008 Outback 2.5i, I didn't realize until longer drives that the base cloth seats (power driver, but no lumbar) are quite uncomfortable. There's no lower back support, and both my wife and I feel pressure points under our legs/bottoms. We've lived with the discomfort for seven years, but whenever we ride in other cars (and when I rent various cars on business trips), I'm reminded how much better most other car seats are. I'm getting to the point where I either need to install better seats or just get a different car.

Is it possible to install a better Subaru seat in the Gen 3? Perhaps the 2015 power seat with power lumbar as offered on the nicer models?

I'm seriously considering getting a 2015 and basing the trim selection largely on which seat is best. Not that I want to spend that kind of money to remedy such a localized issue.

Thanks for any suggestions or tips!

#2 ·
Unfortunately the only easy swap would be from another 2008-2009 Outback or Legacy. The leather seats are more comfortable. . don't ask me why.

Side airbags and occupant sensors greatly complicate seat swapping in post-2000 Subarus. Will seats from other years/models bolt in? Sure. . . but you'll either have to gut all the SRS components from your existing seats and swap them to the donors or live with an airbag light that just won't go away.

#4 ·
The '08 didn't even have manual lumbar adjustment standard? I have it in my '05 Legacy 2.5i wagon base model. Strangely, I find the seats almost luxurious after driving my '05 Forester XS for a while. Not that the Forester has bad seats by any means, but the Legacy seats almost feel supremely supple. It's completely strange until you experience it for yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.