Subaru Outback Forums banner

Humming noise

10K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  kpoly 
#1 ·
2006 Subaru Outback. I have some type of noise coming from my front end - almost like a humming noise. Tire is okay and looks like rotor and brake pad are functioning as they should. The noise starts around 35mph and will subside if I approach a curve and turn the wheel right. It will get louder if I turn the wheel to the left. Is this a wheel bearing? Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 ·
quite likely a wheel bearing. Subaru bearings CAN have odd symtpoms and don't always behave in a textbook manner - sometimes the do.

06 probably has hub bearing assemblies - easier to swap out than press-in types if confirmed.

#3 ·
My front/passenger bearing went bad. It started like a small humming/growling noise from the rear. I also had a small wine glass rim noise coming from the passenger floorboard. After about 7-8 months, without realizing it, it gradually got worse and worse. Wine glass noise was there - lightly, had some noise in the rear still, but overall, something was totally humming/growling as I drove - got worse on right hand, sweeping turns. Left hand, not much difference.

Bought a Timken brand assembly, told the shop to replace my front driver (because I thought right hand turns mean left wheel bearing), but they replaced the front passenger - and ALL noise gone. Amazing how much varied noise and from where a bearing makes. Acoustics are crazy.

So lessons learned:

1. If it is a small hum and it doesn't totally bother you, I think you have some time.
2. Just because it is a left turn issue, doesn't mean its a right bearing.

Good luck!

#4 ·
I was on the same boat as you until 1 week ago. I ended up replacing all 4 bearings on my '09 Outback. All 4 were noisy, with only 90K!!...What you can do first, to eliminate the tires as a suspect, is to rotate the tires front to back and see if the noise follows. I had tire noise before because of a feathered tire. If the noise moves to the back, you found the culprit. If the noise is still there on the front, chances are your right front bearing is going south. When you turn to the right you're transferring weight to the left side of the car, taking some weight out of the bad bearing on the right. The noise will be less noticeable. Now, turning to the left, the weight is transferred to the right of the vehicle, putting more stress on the faulty bearing, increasing the noise level. As JDcruiser stated, if you replace the bearing, buy a good brand. I used Timkens for my OB. More expensive but peace of mind that you will not need to repeat the process in a few months because you used a crappy chinese $30 hub. If you can turn a wrench you can do the job yourself. Not a big deal. I did it in 75 minutes per wheel on mine (no air tools here, for now. with air tools it will take less than an hour per wheel). You can find some good videos on YouTube about what's involved. Timken hub goes for around $80 each online, free shipping. Good luck with your project!..

#5 ·
Another reason to get a higher quality replacement assembly is the wheel speed sensors on the off-brands are a lower quality, which in my case, impacted my cruise control (and likely ABS as well, but I never got to try that out). Cruise would work for a bit, but was very jerky, and would eventually cut out. Replaced the assembly a second time with OEM, and the issue went away.

#6 ·
Having problems getting the wheel hub separated from the axle. Have tried using a puller but with a 1/2 inch breaker bar the axle does not release from the hub. I was thinking about putting the old axle nut on the axle and hitting it with a sledge but fearful I will damage the axle threads. I've seen where someone has put a air hammer on the axle (looks like a steel rod with a point) and that helped release the axle. Any suggestions? Thanks.

#8 ·
I had to use the propane torch once on my daughter's 06 Impala - after 1 1/2 days of force on a puller and MAJOR hammering - with plenty of PB Blaster.

10-15 seconds each at 12 oclock and 6 oclck positions, staterd to move with the puller.

BUT - I was replacing the hub/bearing assembly so, dunno if that amount of heat for that time would be bad for grease/seals if you were re-using the same hub.

you 'could' think about mounting the wheel and DRIVING the car forward/backward and hitting the brakes hard - might break it loose?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.