Subaru Outback Forums banner

I need opinions H4 or H6

10K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  rasterman 
#1 ·
The time has come to lay down my 06 Outback. I'm starting the process of searching for my next Subaru. I was really happy with the Outback. But, I always wanted more power. The H6 has more obviously, but would I be trading reliability? Of the two choices in the Gen 3 Outbacks, which motor is more reliable,lasts longer, and requires less maintaining. Is the H6 prone to the head gasket issues or?? So, which motor guys should I search for? What Subaru 2006-2011 is most reliable, least known problems?

#3 ·
Head gasket failure isn't unheard of in the H6 but it seems a bit less common.

Many of the H6 cars work out to be more reliable. There's no expensive timing belt maintenance to forget or do improperly.

The bad news is that there were a lot fewer of them, and people tend to hang on to them because they want the same things you do.

Remember: used car lots aren't just a place to buy cars. They are also a place to get rid of cars. Problem cars. And it's on you to figure out why that car got traded in. The dealer won't necessarily know, and they won't tell you anyway. And cars can't talk. You can skip all of that by buying direct from a private party classified listing.

#4 ·
^^^ this is correct.

That being said, an H6 paired with the 5EAT in the 3rd Gens, is my favorite Outback to drive methinks.

#6 ·
The 2006 H6 Requires Premium, dont make the mistake of using regular, mine shift lags badly that way.

did a quick lookup and found the 2011 model does not require premium and gets possibly 4% better fuel mileage on highway.

Plus premium gas costs 10% more than regular. So a 2006 will cost 14% more in fuel than a 2011. Its not a significant dollar difference though, only about $260 per 20,000 miles. Less than a dollar a day difference if it takes you a year to go 20k miles..

Get the color you like best :). Consider a model with Adaptive cruise, and a radio that offers a connection for smartphone audio (the 2006 lacks an aux input jack)

I do not know the answer to your reliability question, I hope you get one that makes you happy.

#7 ·
^^^all good points. I would take H6 over H4, no questions asked. Private party is the way to go. You should have a better negotiating window with private party as well, but good luck finding an H6 Outback for sale via private party. Most people search a long time to find one.

#8 ·
Late last year I took the plunge and acquired a 2014 3.6r. Bought it while on vacation so wife and I had to drive home separately, her in the 2000 Outback 2.5, and me in the slightly used 3.6r. Wow, what a difference to drive, the H6 seemed to be loafing compared to the H4. I have always been pleased with the H4 but the H6 is just smoother and of course more powerful. The interesting part was that on the 1000 mile drive home, we gassed up at the same stations. And each and every time, the H6 bill was a couple of dollars less to fill the tank, than the H4. I have always maintained that car, so I can only assume it is because the H6 doesn't have to work near as hard as the H4. Regardless of why, I sure am pleased with the new to me ride!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.