Subaru Outback Forums banner

Oil leak...burning oil smell...axle boot?

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  fndrjazz 
#1 ·
Hello All.

2006 OB, NA, 158K, love it.

Got in the other day, started the engine, got the smell of burning oil in the cockpit. Under the car were three fresh drops of oil on the driveway.

I'm guessing it's the axle boot...AGAIN.

What's the deal with the axle boots tearing, or breaking down, or whatever?

The seem to need replacement about once a year. I think this will be the fifth new axle I put in the car? Subaru likes to replace the entire part, axle included.

Anyone else notice this part failing to the point of annoyance? It's getting expensive.

Many thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
Honestly, from what I have read, dunno that anyone knows for certain. It certainly is true that dealers, independent mechs and even many DIYers just swap axles. And even if cardone rebuilds using some Subaru specs - deson't mean they aren't still using cheap bearings and cheap grease and cheap boots.

you can search on the issue - many DIYers also experience very poor quality from rebuilds.

#6 ·
If it is the axle boot that is ripped open it is very easy to confirm visually since you can see both inner boots from above (through the engine bay). Grab a flashlight, pop the hood, and take a look- it will be very obvious if grease is slung all over the place and you will probably be able to see the tear in the boot.

#7 ·
personally I don't remember ever seeing thick axle grease on a garage floor or parking lot from a car parking on it.

splattered around on the engine cradle,

but never splattered or dripped on the ground.

I have seen thinner stuff:

I have seen oil, and front differential lube, as well as brake fluid and the hydraulic fluid that leaks out of shocks too. (never had a trans, or a rear diff leak on any car ever).

#8 ·
Look down into the engine compartment to where the axles are and in particular to where the CV joint is. This is the lovely sight that greeted me when I was in panic and looked for the source of smoke coming out from under the hood:

None of it drips at all and you can see that it gets flung only when in motion.

I went a full year before replacing them and it took about 2 hours for a first-timer to do the job. If I had to do it again, it would probably take about an hour. I did buy a reboot kit to reboot the originals if I ever needed to replace them again but so far (15 months) the boots look good and the driving feels fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.