Subaru Outback Forums banner

Airbag Recall & Dashboard

5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  FinnMcCool 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone.

2006 OB, 159K, NA.

I recently had the airbag recall completed at Subaru.

However, a few days later, I noticed that the dashboard compartment wasn't closing properly.

When I examined it, I could see a gap on the left side of about an eighth of an inch.

Here is my question:

When Subaru performed the airbag recall, did they have to remove the dashboard?

If so, this explains the problem. They didn't put the dashboard back on correctly.

I also noticed a tear on the registration sticker (lower left side of the windshield).

These things didn't happen by themselves.

Many thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
When Subaru performed the airbag recall, did they have to remove the dashboard?
That's what the factory service manual instructs in order to gain access to the passenger side front airbag.

However, there's are threads here about the recall that have follow-up reports suggesting the airbag module was accessed on the passenger side from underneath after the complete glove compartment housing, and perhaps the lower cover, was removed.

#3 ·
My dealer tech friend says he goes in via the glove box, he does not remove the complete dash.

That said, yes, the service manual says to remove the whole dash. The techs get paid 2.0 hrs for that (warranty) job, which even flat out would be tough to pull off. . . so they figured out how to do it without pulling the dash.

Maybe you got a newb tech.

Reactions: plain OM
#5 ·
Ok, thanks for the great info.

So they might have taken the dash off, but I can't prove it.

Maybe they'll say they didn't touch the dash, and then charge me for the repair.

If they do this, I guess there's not much I can do. But it probably won't be too expensive, and I like having the car as close to perfect as I can.

Thanks again.

#7 ·
Actually, the thing that won't close is the upper compartment on the dashboard. I think some people call it the 'hot box'...? It's where the nav would be, if I had nav.

The compartment door rubs on the left side, when opening and closing. And the alignment is visibly off. It 'bulges' on the left side, because it was not snapped into place.

Or it somehow snapped out of place on its own, which I believe is impossible, after driving this car for ten years.

#11 ·
Hello again.

2006 OB, NA, 159,600 miles.

CLIFFS NOTES SUMMARY (for more detail, read the posts above):

Two weeks ago, I had the airbag replaced on a recall.

I get the car back, and the dashboard is off a little. It appears that it wasn't put back 100% correct. The upper compartment on the dashboard has a small gap on the left. It's a visible defect, and the compartment door is rubbing on that side.

NEW INFO STARTS NOW:

I brought it into Subaru today to be corrected. They "adjusted the compartment," and I said (to myself) "uh-oh." Because I thought the dashboard needed an adjustment, not the compartment.

I go out to inspect (I'm very fussy with this car), and it looks good. However, when I touch the compartment, it's a bit loose on the left. It's tight on the right side, but when I touch the bottom of the compartment (on the left), it "wiggles" up and down. It drops about 4-5mm, and, when I let go, it rises back into place.

This annoys me, and it won't get better. I want the car to be right. It was right when I brought it in, and it's no longer right.

So I go to talk to them. The mechanic says it's "as good as he can get it," and "if I want it better, I'll have to install a new compartment."

This makes me wonder...why? Why do I need a new one? Did the mechanic break the old one somewhere? Doesn't make too much sense, if you think about it.

I ask (rather calmly) if I'll have to pay for this, and I'm told "You'll have to speak with the service manager; he'll be back on Tuesday."

Ok, I'm fussy with this car. But here's my logic: the longer I like this car, enjoy it, and stay excited about it, the less I'll be jonesing for a new car. (I'm saving up to pay off my mortgage.)

Just throwing this out there, to get your thoughts on what might be the problem, or the best course of action. Because the knowledge here is tremendous.

Many thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.