Subaru Outback Forums banner

Hey guys and gals got a question for you

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Noodle 
#1 ·
So I have a 2005 outback xt that I picked up for cheap, I was wondering what you guys think about making it handle without touching the ride height. I'm 46 years old and do not like to fall into and climb out of my cars. So my thought is to get some decent coil overs and hit the avo catalog for sway bars control arms bushings and braces. Then do big brake kit and built a/t transmission with torque converter. And then swap in a built motor with 300whp. I have a little over 10k to start the build.

My question is can you get a outback wagon to go around a track like thunder hill? Or am I dreaming? Or do I sell the outback and get a sti hatch and have to climb out and fall into it and take on a car payment. Yuk. Not a fan of payments :grin2:

I guess I should mention I have a brand new crosstrek I already have a payment on too.

Here is what I have to work with..... I'm looking for advice thanks again Mike

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My gawd...where do I begin. I turned my dreams into reality. I would bet Frank out handles a stock wrx/STI. I bet she does.

Is it at stock height? Or is it lowered? I know it's a lot to take in but my wife thinks only a sti can handle a track. Or a lowered/slammed car I told her that it can help lower the cog but you need some travel in the suspension. I love the sleeper aspect of this wagon.the two tone is AWSOME :smile2:

#4 ·
Welcome! I'll play the kid brother at 43.

Y'all gonna have some fun talking bouncy-parts with traildogck.

You can do the wagon on a track thing. I really don't see how you'll keep up with all that extra weight, and the stock height is not going to help either.

I'm not saying it won't be fun... not by a long shot. It just isn't going to be as fast as most everything else out there no matter what you put under the hood.

#5 ·
I'll have to disagree about it not being fast. my 2005 forester xt was very fast 389whp lgt 6 speed swapped e85 hta68 monster. But she gave her life for me. It was lowered and I don't want to go that way anymore and I would love to talk bouncy parts with anybody who has a suggestion. I'm not talking about a deticated track car but 3-4 times a year would be great. I must be getting lazy because I like this automatic. And brake boost is good too.

#8 ·
Outside of high dollar Outback specific coil overs, I don't think any Legacy ones will turn up that high. That being said you can move mountains with meaty/sticky tires, good dampers, a plethora of new bushings, and beefier swaybars. Brakes are on the smaller side from stock, an easy upgrade is Legacy GT but you'll need to run 17s year round. Did I mention tires? A heavier AWD car needs adequate tires.

#11 ·
Hey that looks just like mine but with better looking shoes ?

I wish I had decided to lower mine just a smidge before I decided to go with the gen 2 KYB's in the rear. Oh well I'll get some matching ones for the front soon and call it a day.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.