Center console cup holders (rear) replacement - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Center console cup holders (rear) replacement

Has anyone replaced the cup holders for the rear. I have 05 Ouctback and two kiddos (2ys/5yr) so they accidently broke it. wondering if this is something cheap i can do my self. thanks
jatorres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

According to the service manual the cup holder is a separate part, which should make things easier. (See attached diagram.)

I had a look at mine, and could see tabs on the side and bottom that appear to hold it in. I suspect that if the two on the side are pulled out a bit, the top will come out and the two at the bottom, which are not very accessible, will allow the assembly to be removed. At that point, perhaps it might be possible to repair the holder (depending on how it was broken) or replace it.

(I find that Goop is quite good at repairing plastics parts.)

This site ( http://opposedforces.com/parts/legac...llustration_1/ ) shows the cup holder and the relevant part numbers below. The numbers might have changed since this was published, but they can be used to check with on-line dealers to get an idea of the price.
Attached Thumbnails
Center console cup holders (rear) replacement-cup-holder-rear.jpg  
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

THANKS, for the quick response and info, i will take a look at it. Once again thanks
jatorres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have the same problem with my 07! Kids kicked it out! Any one know how it folds back into the console??
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

The easiest way I found is to remove the rear part of the console, including the ash tray and cup holder. Take out the ash tray and remove the screw behind it. The you can pry off the rear console part, starting at the top corners. Once that is out it is much easier to remove the cup holder assembly. If nothing is broken, and it just came apart, it can all be put together again. The trickiest part I found was to fix the spring, but I finally worked it out.

One end, the end with the kink, goes through the little hole in the 'wall' of the cup holder assembly. The other L shaped end goes through the little round stop peg that is covered by a rubber ring. There are one of these in each side. Took me a while to figure out, I must admit, but now it is there. Simple really, when you know it.
Claus Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: