Subaru Outback Forums banner

Confused

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  GoldmemberXT 
#1 ·
Hi. Hope I'm in the right place. Buying a vehicle, like the Subaru Outback. 2 are available here. 2005 Legacy R with a 3.0R automatic, 200,000kms, but man bought car without wife and says she doesn't want something that big. He does not have records for it, I guess he hasn't done anything to it since he bought it. He says it has been all checked out when he bought it and all is well. The second which I was going to choose, till I read you guys talking, is a 2006 2.5i, automatic, 234,000 kms. Owner has all records and just did over $4000 of work to bring it up to tip top shape he says. I will check but assume the head gasket etc...which one? Records but the 2.5l, no records and a 3.0R?

#2 ·
Well, typically the H6 engine is known for reliability as it does not have a timing belt (has a chain), and the head gaskets don't seem to be an issue.

That said, how long has the 2005 3.0 sat unused? A car that isn't driven and left to sit can develop problems such as rubber hoses deteriorating, water getting in to places, etc.

A car is only as good as its maintenance. The 2.5 sounds like it's been taken care of and that can go a long way to the value of the vehicle. The 3.0 has more power and typically had more options and bells and whistles, but other than that, they are identical.

I'd inspect both cars closely and have someone else inspect as well if you can.

#6 ·
not sure on an 05, but the 3.0 may need premium gas - our 03 does.

if possible, have a pre-purchase inspection done by a shop with some Subaru experience or even a highly-rated dealership.

if the car will be loaded with gear or several people or towing - get the 3 liter. The 2.5 will be a little cheaper to operate as a commuter car if running regular gas.

they are used cars and prior care and their current condition is most important for predicting future reliability.

#7 ·
Thank you. I think I'm getting that the actual Outback is higher off the ground, more storage etc, more like an SUV and the Legacy is a car, like a station wagon, right? Oh boy, I'd like the wagon with the 3.0! Thanks for your help. Most people say get the 3.0...I'm not going to climb mtns or anything but am in the foothills of Alberta Canada and we get lots of heavy wet snow. I will all hwy driving as live in a small town 45 km from a city.

#8 ·
Not to muddy the waters but anything with a 3.0 means Outback is still a station wagon. For reference:
N
In the US, 3.0 usage is as follows (give or take a year):

Legacy sedan 2007-9
Legacy wagon N/A

Outback sedan 2002-7
Outback wagon 2001-9

Hope this helps!

#10 ·
2.5:
If they gu can't tell you where he bought it from and you can't track down any information without a compelling reason - i'd be seriously hesitant.
That said - it's easy to read people/situations as true or not and one owner vehicles are the best way to get a great vehicel if you know how to navigate that.
Google the vin, carfax, look for old paperwork/oil change stickers/notes of places you could call and ask about maintenance history.
Check for existing external headgasket leaks carefully
It should have a new timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner - most "timing belt jobs" don't include those, not an ideal way to start a big initial purchase.

2.5 with previously replaced headgaskets:
Don't buy if the headgaskets weren't Subaru OEM or a highly touted equivalent.
Ideally it gets Turbo headgaskets but most people don't know to do that.
Ideally it gets resurfaced.
Ideally you get a rough idea of how bad the headgaskets were before they were replaced. A little leak and then replacement is way better than it overheated 10 times in the past 4 months while the mechanic tried to figure it out and then they finally replaced the gaskets (which $4,000 in work would be in alignment with).

3.0 is a great engine, i like them
Test drive it a lot and make sure the temp gauge doesn't waver.
Look in overflow tank (not radiator) after idling awhile, after an interstate speed run - look for bubbles in the overflow.
Look for any signs of recent cooling work - radiator, hoses, clamps, tstat, new/fresh sparking green coolant, caps.
Look for signs of spilage or spraying around the overflow tank area.
All of those may suggest headgasket issues which are less common on H6's but far more ominous and costly than their 4 cylinder counterparts.

#11 ·
Foothills of Alberta? Shouldn't you be shopping for a lifted F350 with a gunrack and a set of Truck Nutz? (Friendly jab from your neighbour a few doors to the east...)

For my part, I really like the 3.0R. But as mentioned above, make sure you get it checked out by a Subaru-savvy mechanic with particular attention to all the rubber under the car. Not tires... All those 12 yr old bushings and seals that don't do well with salt spray for 6 out of 12 months.

**The above also applies to the 2.5, unless it's covered by the $4000 in work performed.**

#12 ·
Ok thank you to all of you, still don't know what I should lean towards but that's my problem.
And I just did a carfax report...What they call their 05 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5 in that report is called a Subaru Legacy Outback. This person is 3rd owner. he did the over 4K work on it and has all the records yet an estimate is not found in the report.When in the US it was t boned and had over $6K damage. Then it was in an auction, then new owner and a recall for airbag which I can't see was done, then this guy bought it, and as soon as it shows up in Canada with him, the $4k repairs were done and now he has a new car and wants to sell it?
Stay clear?

#14 ·
When in the US it was t boned and had over $6K damage. Then it was in an auction, then new owner and a recall for airbag which I can't see was done, then this guy bought it, and as soon as it shows up in Canada with him, the $4k repairs were done and now he has a new car and wants to sell it?
Stay clear?
Yes, stay clear from any used car that was t-boned resulting in $6k damage. Especially when it's a common enough car that you can find a much better sample out there.

#13 ·
I own one of each engine type. I LOVE the 3.0R engine and 5 speed automatic transmission and have had very few minor problems with it. I am also very fond of my 2.5L because of all of the time we spent together under the shade tree while I worked and worked and worked on it to get it to an acceptable level where I found it safe and reliable enough to give to my youngest daughter.

Get the 3.0R. It is "bulletproof."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.