Oil Plug crush ring? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 06 VDC H6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Oil Plug crush ring?

Hey I changed the oil in my wife's 06 H6 last night. I read in the manual that you are supposed to change the crush ring every time. Do you guys do this?

Also I had the front up on ramps (with jackstands under as well), and drained out the oil and removed the filter, spun on a new filter, put the plug back in, and filled it with 5W30 I put 5.8 quarts in, and it was still low.. So I drove it off the ramps and onto level ground.. Still low. So I added the rest of the 6th quart and ran it for a while then let it sit. and it's still low..

Can you drain more than 5.8 quarts out with the nose up in the air? There are no puddles under the car...

Lastly I couldn't find the "scheduled maintenance" book.. what is the recommended OCI?
Thanks
Jonathan
ssweet9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Outback Limited

The proper answer about the crush washer is YES it should be replaced everytime. However I have reused them once or twice as long as they are in good shape and not deformed. I just picked up two used cars for my sons and when changing the oil on both vehicles it seems if the shops the previous owners used for service must never have gotten the memo about crush washers. The crush washers on both vehicles were so crushed they appeared to be part of the bolt. I used a small screwdriver to pry them off and used a crush washer from my collection. Amazingly neither vehicle had leaks and the bolt was tight. Crush washers are inexpensive....so pick some up and of course ymmv
aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2007 Outback XT Ltd

You "should" replace the crush washer, but most folks don't and they don't have problems. If yours develops a leak, it will be a very slow seep and no danger to the engine. But it might leave a few spots on your garage floor.

I always change the washer, but you shouldn't feel required to.

I can't answer your question about oil volume, except to say use the dipstick correctly (car level and engine cold, check twice or more until you feel you have an accurate reading) rather than relying on any published amounts. I usually pour in about half a quart less than recommended in the manual and then top it up to the right dipstick mark.

You can go to ... https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/aud...inmethod=email ... , register, and download manuals and service info for your car.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 06 VDC H6

Thanks. I wasn't too worried about the crush washer, as it didn't appear to leak after running for 5 mins lastnight.
What oil change intervals do the H6 guys do?

I have always just aimed for 3K in all my vehicles (except the wife's previous 2005.5 TDI jetta that recommended 10K interval with 6 quarts of $10 a quart special VW oil and special filter, I did that at 6K intervals)

But other than the Jetta from ****, I just run 5W 30 plain old motor oil and carquest "blue" filters (their higher grade) and I just change the oil and filter every 3K..

We live in the country (on a paved road) but our cars go down plenty of dirt roads and frequently get started, driven 4 miles and shut off...
Jonathan
ssweet9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: '03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl

Past 100K and the warranty, I do 7500 mi OCI with Subaru filters and Mobil1. Drain out the old, and pour in 6 fresh quarts. Works every time.
wilsonhp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Service interval is 7500 miles regular service or 3750 severe service.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: