Shamous's 05 XT AT progress - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shamous's 05 XT AT progress

ok did this all earlier from my cellphone then i got a text and it all went bye bye

purpose of this is for me to keep track of what i have done mayby it will help someone... mayby itll help me get some info

goal for the car- have a kick ass go anywhere fun surprise people at a stoplight car, and mayby not beat but piss off my mustang freinds. will be mostly street but i will find some dirt to play on and camp

recently purchased 2005 outback xt automatic (yes i know shoulda got a manual but i drive a crapload for work and have no patience in traffic) 108k miles when purchased

fell in love with the turbo thats for sure grin inspiring in a most inocent package

400 miles later engine light pops on P0021 do a lil research and cross my fingers
order 2 OCV solenoids. changed them (easy) checked the banjo bolt and it did have a funky screen and did a oil change. long story short no more check engine light

banjo bolt.. what a knightmare took forever just to get the bracket off oh i guess i don't have a heat sheild. using a impact i almost gave up.. and WTF would that banjo bolt be in such a hard to get to spot? i cut an 17mm wrench too fit barely cracked it loose and apparently i didnt get it back on tight enough the first time! I hate banjo bolts first introduction was a corado.

did oil change with blue oem filter rotela t6 5-40 (could not locate 5-30) who ever did the oil change last i hope is in pain... took a breaker bar to crack the drain plug I thought i was going to be grounded until i got a new oil pan.

while i was under my "new" car i found the cause of the "thud" sway bar bracket bushing is missing.. so i am on the hunt for a new one ASAP woundering do i go poly?

will be ordering parts for a timing belt next week since it is unknown if it has been done.. i know do the thermostat obviously and get a oem waterpump gasket... anything else???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 PM

Car: 2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
Welcome!

It's good that you're handy and have started into making it more reliable. There's several people here who would disagree about the manual being better. I have the manual and would have to say it's fairly overrated on this car.

The banjo bolt being where it is and how difficult to service is the reason most of the early models had the failures. I bought a stubby 17mm ratcheting wrench to get in there. Plus you need to make sure both of the copper washers get placed in there, one on each side of the oil pipe. The one between the head and the line is the hardest. A tip I read somewhere is to take the washer and hang it with a piece of dental floss in place and feed the banjo bolt back through. When I took my banjo bolt off, there were three washers. Whomever took the filter out on mine replaced the washer without removing the old one.

Rotella is good choice, it's what I use. It only comes in the 5w-40, but isn't a problem on these.

I would advise looking into getting the car tuned with maybe just a base tune. The stock tune has a tendency to run lean while at cruising speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 radio swap with

Constant power to auxiliary 12V plugs mod

Electrical problems such as rear wiper not working, tailgate lock stop working properly, radio reception suddenly terrible or tail light/backup lights not working or fuses blowing? Check the tailgate wiring.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 PM

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited
Congrats & welcome.

Make sure it's a Subaru thermostat. They really are different.

Best to replace the tensioner & 3 idlers when replacing the belt. At least, check all & replace any that don't seem perfect.

Performance Valve Body

Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the input... and yea deff will be replacing tensioner and all pulleys.. also the base tune I am currently looking into it... I believe I have the correct cable in my Amazon basket currently... sop much to learn and digest
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 09:12 PM

Car: 2005 Outback XT limited
Shamous welcome and congrats on the OBXT. As a fellow 'O5 owner let me give you some tips -

Change that uppipe asap - invidia, perrin work excellent and have the bung for the 02 sensor - our '05 have a catted uppipe that can blow up into the turbo. REPLACE ASAP. Invidia is about 150 or so and will mount to the oem headers. this will give you smoother and safer flow to the turbo. faster spooling.

regarding the sway bars - you can go poly but i would just buy new oem bushings and brackets. IF you want to go big then go big in the right way eg: swaybars, bushings, endlinks.....they all go together. Don't half ass.

rot 5w40 is great. turbos love oil. i love giving my turbo oil. motul xcess 5w40 is even better. and change that filter EVERY 3000 miles. I also recommend getting the killerb oil pick up and windage tray.

if you have second thoughts on the car get a compression test. That will tell a lot.

2005 Outback XT 5EAT......93 octane is yummy!!
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Recommendations on where to source that up pipe? I'll start looking more when I get home tomorow... wish I had my obxt with me now in the snow....

That's be cool thou do the uppipe and a very basic tune

From what I read I do not believe I want to do the sway bar upgrade... I will be adventuring on some dirt and uneven terrain... nothing like what I wish I would I am sure I'll be mostly street but want a well rounded adventure outback

Googling Killeen now
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Looks like I better habe a weekend set aside for that pickup install and better order straight from them
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

soo hoping i can make it to the stealer tomorrow... parts to look into : sway bar mounting brackets and fasteners sense one of mine is missing and other one is snapped. Also time to get serious and start deciding on where to get my parts for the timing belt,water pump,pulleys, thermostat job i wanna do so i can start working on some fun items. But i need to get the sucker nice and reliable first.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Nothing exciting this weekend... I think I'll be able to get parts for timing belt next weekend aka pay day... found some sway bar bushings at autozone that came with brackets for 25bux vs 55bux at the stealer for just one bracket

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

2005 outback XT purchased 108k

seems stock untouched, taking care of maintenance then suspension and brakes.. then the fun stuff.. allot to learn allot to read
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Replacing brackets and sway bar bushings a sucess... more time I spend in that salty ole ladies under carriage the more I wonder what I got myself into lol

Broke one stud, had to modify one bracket but no blood for the day

Love the clearnece thou... pulled rite up the curb and into my buddies front yard

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

2005 outback XT purchased 108k

seems stock untouched, taking care of maintenance then suspension and brakes.. then the fun stuff.. allot to learn allot to read
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: