First trip to the local mountains and - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

JB -- he's in California where we wear Hawaiian shirts and our surf shorts on the drive to the ski resort on Friday evenings. Dedicated winter tires in California is akin to you owning an entire dresser full of t-shirts and board shorts for year around use. LOL
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6r, 1998 subaru impreza 2.5rs

That's why I asked, and stated my situation.
jb_3.6r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 05 Subi Outback XT, 08 Lexus IS-F, and 95 Lexus SC300

I took my OBXT off-road yesterday (no snow) and it performed the way I expected it would. To me it sounds like the AWD wasn't doing what it's supposed to based one wheel spinning. I wonder if the hydrolic lines were frozen. Do you mind if i ask how cold was it outside?

I also agree, tires make a huge difference and if the tread pattern on the AS were designed for rain or summer that's probably the reason why you were lacking traction.

2008 Lexus IS-F.
1995 Lexus SC300
2005 Outback XT, tinted glass, with XM radio (SOLD)

ucf3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean

Your Outback should be lightyears ahead of the Highlander in terms of AWD (not sure about the Expedition). I have a coworker with one and he has better all seasons than I do and it still can't hold a candle to my Outback in any conditions. It's very noticeable when taking off from any intersection. The little bit that I've driven it, it will break traction under light throttle in places where my Outback would be glued to the road under significantly higher throttle.

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean Edition No Nav, "Senior Citizen Gold" (Harvest Gold)
OEM Hitch | OEM Subwoofer | Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S | Window Tint | Black Carpet Swap
KYB Excel-G Struts ('04 Spec Rear, '05-'09 Spec Front) | Primitive 3/16" Front Skid Plate
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

Car: 06 VDC H6

You also have to factor in tire size and vehicle weight.

I used to drive a 95 chevy caprice year round, 350 V8, posi rear. but with 225 75 15 BF goodrich winter slaloms and a bag of sand in the trunk that thing was a BEAST. (4400# empty)
Fast forward to my wife's 06 H6 VDC with brand new smooth summer tires and that thing barely would get out of it's own way with 225 55 17's probably under 4000# (whats a subie weight?) The day I took it in to get the studded snows mounted and balanced there was about 2" of slush on the roads I was unimpressed.

Fast forward 1 hour, in the same slush that thing launched like it was on drive pavement.

We even took it up a seasonal use road, that goes up a steep hill near me in 12-24" drifted powder. some woods some fields, and that thing had NO problems. the only problem was we couldn't see where the road ended and the ditches began.. so we had to go REALLY slowly.

I would say throw a couple bags of sand behind the rear seat and get some better tires.. snow tires (in snow) are an order of magnitude better than all seasons. and all seasons are much better than summer tires.. Bit the huge difference is between all seasons and snows.
Jonathan
ssweet9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

Car: 04 STI, 07 OBW

The automatics are a joke, IMHO. 90/10 split. I am constantly plowing corners with the OBW, will my STI, and previous WRX were much better in the snow. I can live with the OBW. And you should have better results. Just because that light doesnt come when ignition is turned on either means you dont have that feature. It's a LED so it doesnt burn out. The light will come on if you have a problem.

(I run snow tires all year on our Outback. Cooper Weathermaster. They work great and can deal with summer conditions if you dont plan on taking it to a track. Work really good in snow and mud. We take out OBW offroad quite a bit so this works for us.)
indytruckboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

I also have an 07 Limited, and I am pretty sure it does not have VDC, so I would be surprised if yours does.

Others can correct me if I am wrong, but the automatics are a 90/10 split at a minimum, and will go to 50/50 when the car feels it is necessary, so you aren't giving up a lot compared to a manual. Also, you can put it in Sport mode and downshift to 1st before starting to move, and the car will go straight to a 50/50 split.
Tex07Limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #18 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

Nothing like charging forward on a dead and cold thread that the OP hasn't even checked in on...

but here goes!

The torque split depends on which automatic you have. The 4EAT is 90/10, but the 5EAT is more like 45/55. I don't know what the Lineartronic CVT offers.
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: