2006 OBXT Upgrades - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Atlantic Blue OBXT Limited 5MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2006 OBXT Upgrades

So I've had my '06 OBXT for a little over a month now, really enjoying having a new (to me) car with a manual tranny to play with! Problem is when I'm not out having fun zipping it around, I'm here browsing the forum, researching and seeing what parts to swap out on it. It's become an addiction... I'm not ashamed to admit it

This is my purchased part list to date:

- Cobb Short throw Shifter with bushings
- Cobb Uppipe to replace the potential faulty stock one
- WRX pedal set & shift knob

I'm installing these parts this weekend and then moving onto the suspension.

Yes... I've spent a ridiculous amount of time searching posts about what people have done to fix the floaty, wobbly ride of the Outback. But there more I read about it, the more confused I get (and probably overthink the whole thing).

However, I believe that I know what route I would like to go to fix mine. I live in Anchorage, Alaska and have 5 months of ice and snowy winters to drive through. Also there is a lot of dirt roads and roads that shouldn't be called roads at all that I drive on. I also have a small trailer that I use in the summer to haul light loads of wood, camping gear and toys.

I don't want to make it too stiff in the rear and lose the off-road handing, but I do want to minimize the slop. So my best guess is to get the following:

- Rallitek Overload Springs in the rear
- KYB struts for the '05-'09, all four corners.

My thoughts on getting the KYB for '05-'09 instead of the older '04 is to keep my Outback from getting too harsh on the winter/dirt roads.

Any ideas on this?
Attached Thumbnails
2006 OBXT Upgrades-subaru-3.jpg  
Boreas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2

It will still be bouncy. IMO get the 00-04 in back.
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Has anyone installed the rallitek overload springs with new '05-'09 KYB struts all around and then decided that it was still too loose in the rear?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

I would not recommend the 50-09 KYB. Get the 00-04.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

AftCG has the ralliteks with 05-09 struts. He has mentioned it still being bouncy. Maybe pm him for his opinion.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2006 OBXT L

Let us know how the up pipe install goes. I'm curious about that one for the same resons.
kzr750r1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

The up pipe is a good idea. Take it from me, replace ALL gaskets that you mess with for the up pipe install. So pass side exhaust manifold, crosspipe, both sides of up pipe, and turbo to downpipe. Get the 2x thickness gasket for the bottom of the up pipe. You don't want to have to tear it apart again to replace a leaky gasket. It's not a difficult job at all, just a bit time consuming. Might as well check the turbo for shaft play (sideways and in and out) while you have the downpipe disconnected.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I guess I will not be installing the Cobb Uppipe this weekend after all, I only bought the 2 gaskets for the uppipe from grimmspeed. I will have to obtain the rest of them before starting this project. Thanks for the info Seabass!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

Anchorage? That's near Alaska, right? Just kidding, and I can only make that joke because I used to live in Fairbanks.

I ride my '06 with stock springs and '00-'04 KYBs on poorly maintained dirt roads frequently enough, and it only felt truly harsh for the first week after I put them in. After that they settled down and it's been great since. It gets smoother as load increases, so factor that in. If you've lightened the car and ride alone with an empty tank, that will make it harsher. If you roll with friends/cargo, it's more forgiving.
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2006 OBXT L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
The up pipe is a good idea. Take it from me, replace ALL gaskets that you mess with for the up pipe install. So pass side exhaust manifold, crosspipe, both sides of up pipe, and turbo to downpipe. Get the 2x thickness gasket for the bottom of the up pipe. You don't want to have to tear it apart again to replace a leaky gasket. It's not a difficult job at all, just a bit time consuming. Might as well check the turbo for shaft play (sideways and in and out) while you have the downpipe disconnected.
Hold the phone there captain... You saying the exhaust has to dismantled to change the up pipe? Or you suggesting prep to be ready just in case?
kzr750r1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: