2005 XT: When to replace turbo, timing belt? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2005 OB XT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2005 XT: When to replace turbo, timing belt?

I have a 2005 OBXT w/ 96k miles. Stage 2 (Accessport + COBB uppipe and downpipe). I'm pretty good about changing oil ever 4k miles or so w/ full synthetic. Banjo filter has been removed. I want to get a good 5 more years out of the car (pushing the OD past 150k miles):

1) Should I start looking into replacing the turbo now?
2) If so, any recommended turbos (and how much should I expect to pay for the turbo plus install)?
3) When should I replace the timing belt?
Goober Subie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2

Replace the timing belt soon. It's due at 105k. Make sure to do the belt, idlers, water pump, tensioner, and thermostat at that time. As for the turbo, remove the bolts holding the downpipe to the turbo and the bolt that mounts the downpipe to the transmission and pull back the downpipe. Wiggle the exhaust turbine sideways and in and out. If there is noticeable play in it, then replace ASAP. If it feels solid and you can just barely notice play, then don't waste your money unless you want a bigger turbo.
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: '99 Outback/ '99 GSX 600f

from what i have seen of failing turbos on subi's your probably good. most of them make it upward 150k dosent mean you shouldn't check it out wile your in there, as sea bass stated.
Personally i would use your fear as an excuse to buy some new tools, and get your hands dirty. these are both jobs you could do in your garage by your self or with helping hand. one of the first mechanic jobs i ever took on my self was a 96 lego timing belt water pump, breeze work. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...5t-106809.html good link on timing belt replacement 2.5T'S.
i would be expecting at least another 10 years of life out of your wagon,(250k) if maintained properly.

'99 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 5spd. 216k & counting...

"Mad Maxine"
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ture1049-a.jpg
Scooba Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooba Steve View Post
from what i have seen of failing turbos on subi's your probably good. most of them make it upward 150k dosent mean you should not check it out wile your in there, as sea bass stated.
Personaly i would be expecting at least another 10 years of life out of your wagon,(250k) if maintained properly.
There are turbo problems specific to this platform. It's worth the effort of checking the health of the turbo. They do have a bad habbit of assploding.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited

I've used the starter trick before to break the crank bolt loose, but how does one retorque it? How do you get to the slot to lock the engine with a turbo intercooler on there? Are there any gaskets to replace if I am removing my intercooler?

Thanks for any help!

Tom
tdelker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Intercooler and turbo are towards the back of the engine bay. Remove radiator fans, the top radiator hose, and the hose assembly on top of the radiator and the front of the engine is easily accessible.

As for removing and retorquing the crank bolt, try to find a large enough chain wrench that will fit over the crank pulley. Use an old belt under the chain wrench to keep from damaging the pulley. That will be plenty with a breaker bar.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited

I was wanting to use the hole in the back of the engine that allows access to lock up the drive shaft between the automatic transmission and the engine that it seems like people without the turbo use to keep the engine from turning over. Like post #5 here:

Crank Shaft Pulley... tigtening... ideas?

I believe that hole is below the intercooler?

Of course the other option is chain wrench, but I prefer to avoid the risk of dinging up the crank pulley, but if that hole is too hard to get to, then it's the next best thing.

Thanks,

Tom
tdelker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's why you use an old belt under the chain.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback XT

I have a 2005 XT as well. One of the early ones delivered in August of 2004 (I bought it used in 2007). I put less than 10k on it a year and it only has 70k on it now. Would you guys recommend changing the timing belt early, based on some number of months rather than miles? It could be as much as 4 more years before I get to 105k and over 10 years seems like a long time for a timing belt.
kduchow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

FYI, for Subaru's maintenance intervals, 1k miles = 1 month, or whichever is smaller. IOW, 105k interval for timing belt also means 105 months. So every 8 years and 9 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: