3rd Party warrantee? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: No Subaru at the moment.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 3rd Party warrantee?

Is there such thing as a good 3rd-party warranty?

I have a 2005 Outback XT w/~103K miles. It runs great, but based on their reputation I think I'd feel better with an insurance policy.

I've found a few companies, but it's hard to tell if they're really any good.
Michael Aos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 07OBXTL/08LGT.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Aos View Post
Is there such thing as a good 3rd-party warranty?
No. HPH
DrCloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 LL Bean 3.0R

I got one through my Credit Union from Mercury Insurance Group. They have been great!! My biggest problem has been mechanics who act like I am asking for their left arm when I tell them I have a warranty. The warranty won't do any good if the mechanic refuses to call the warranty company, and you get screwed if they don't because you will have to pay for the repairs yourself. One way to head that off is if you take the car in, call the Warranty company yourself and hand the phone to the retard mechanic and make him work for his money. Your car can have absolutley no after market mods...ZERO, not even a K&N filter, I wouldn't even get a new stereo installed. You also have to maintain your car ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY AND KEEP EVERY RECEIPT. No warranty company will EVER forgive missed maintenance and your warranty will become useless the minute you skip something for even one mile until you get that maintenance done... so if you skip oil changes and do the "oh I can wait" thing with coolant, transmission, differentials etc. then don't bother with a warranty, just get a new car.
beetles1900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

no. you can probably google it for a broader scope of experiences/feedback.

3rd party warranty's get little return on the investment but are still a good fit for some people as noted in the differing replies.

over the ownership of multiple cars the owner is loosing - the insurance company has to make money. where new car warranty coverage not following through or working out is almost unheard of - that's not the case with 3rd party warranties. smart purchases, maintenance, and repairs win out over insurance if you have that capacity. if not, the warranty might be a good fit.

if you're a risk-averse or hands-off type or can't handle problems, then you might like the feeling of having it and some of the services rendered.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja - Ditched 13 OB

Nope! Best warranty (and the cheapest) is from Subaru through Mastria Subaru in the Northeast! You can purchase the Subaru warranty (cheaper) from any dealer - not just from your selling dealer. And it's refundable, if you sell your car before expiration - in my case 100 K miles....
jogosub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
no. you can probably google it for a broader scope of experiences/feedback.

3rd party warranty's get little return on the investment but are still a good fit for some people as noted in the differing replies.

over the ownership of multiple cars the owner is loosing - the insurance company has to make money. where new car warranty coverage not following through or working out is almost unheard of - that's not the case with 3rd party warranties. smart purchases, maintenance, and repairs win out over insurance if you have that capacity. if not, the warranty might be a good fit.

if you're a risk-averse or hands-off type or can't handle problems, then you might like the feeling of having it and some of the services rendered.

I got lucky, my warranty has already paid for itself, but my car is a piece of junk. It has paid for itself in 10 months.... and I would be in bankruptcy right now if I hadn't gotten one...just saying.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogosub View Post
Nope! Best warranty (and the cheapest) is from Subaru through Mastria Subaru in the Northeast! You can purchase the Subaru warranty (cheaper) from any dealer - not just from your selling dealer. And it's refundable, if you sell your car before expiration - in my case 100 K miles....
So, was the extended warranty worth it?
Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja - Ditched 13 OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetles1900 View Post
So, was the extended warranty worth it?
No and yes.... because I sold the car before I hit 100K - but, it was a piece of mind and I did get the refund for unused portion... so, the answer is "yes" and "no" ...
jogosub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: No Subaru at the moment.

I was thinking along the lines of "major medical" or catastrophe coverage.

Basically if the turbo were to take out the whole motor.

I used to drive a 1999 Land Rover Discovery Series I. Seemed like every time it was in the shop it cost $1k.

I can pay for regular maintenance. It's just if it costs more to fix than the car is worth, I'd be inclined to let it go.
Michael Aos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

Never seen a 3rd party warranty that looked any good, so I never bought one.

From what I've read, most of them seem to find a way to limit their payout to a bit less than you've paid them at the time of your first claim, and they drag it out a few months in the hopes that you will just go away. Might as well just put the same money in a savings account instead, at least you can earn a few nickels on it.

Unless you have some reason to suspect trouble, I say just enjoy the car. From your other posts it seems like you've checked stuff pretty well and you're capable of proper maintenance.

Again, if you're specifically worried about the turbo, pay someone who knows turbos to drop that downpipe and check it for radial play. Nothing can give you more confidence than an accurate assessment of that measurement.
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: