Subaru Outback Forums banner

Spare tire

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  wb2eqe 
#1 ·
My daughter has a 2007 Outback Wagon and is away at school. I can't access the vehicle so I thought I'd ask here: Is there room for a full size spare where the current donut spare resides?

BTW She LOVES the new Hankook Optimo H727 (225/55/R17) we put on 6 mos ago. I hope she will continue to after the first snow.

#2 ·
It's a crapshoot - some folks have managed to squeeze an OEM full sized wheel and tire in there, and others have had to deflate the tire (and carry an air pump).

Since it is smart to have a battery booster/ air pump anyway, that second way is not a bad option. But it's asking a lot of a young driver to not only remove the spare, but also pump it up.... ;) I think it's wise to make it as painless as possible.

Read this and it might answer your questions:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...its-spare-tire-well-after-some-hammering.html

BTW - that car is also away at college with my daughter. Darn it.....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

#4 ·
Spare tires are way overrated. I mean, let's face it, how many of you have ever changed your own tires? Many of the new cars are now sold without a spare tire at all or, only as an option. Auto manufacturers achieve a better mileage, if the car is lighter - without a spare tire.

#5 ·
The benefit of having a matching full sized spare with Subaru AWD is you have an extra tires in case one of them gets killed.

I have 5 general grabbers and I am doing a 5 tires rotation. so if I kill 1 tires I still have 4 good tires. If I only had 4 tires + donut and I killed 1 then I am forces to throw 3 away.

#9 ·
Sorry guys I didn't check the Forum after the first answer. I guess I'm not getting notified when they are replies.

The tires had less than 5000 miles on them when she tore up the sidewall of one tire. As they are rated 100K treadlife (I don't know how one would get 100K out of a set of tires :rolleyes:) I figured the circumference difference would be a few mm in tread, so they just replaced the one tire. I think it went to the passenger's side rear.

ML

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.