Transmission problem?? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Transmission problem??

Just started noticing on my 2005 2.5i that the engine is sounding louder than normal once I get over 50mph then take my foot off of the pedal. It almost feels like I'm in 3rd gear. I've counted shifts and even manually shifted to 4th but the engine is still making a louder low whine and feels like I'm slowing down faster with no coasting as if it's a lower gear. I can get to highway speeds as usual but I'm worried that I may have a transmission problem. Currently 52000 on the odo with no prior problems
Any thoughts???
timelord74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Start by checking the tachometer -- when cruising on the highway at around 60-65 mph, the tach would be around 2500 rpm. (2.5, NA, with 4-speed AT with original factory size tires). Or at 50 mph, it would be around 2000 rpm.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Thanks Plain. I'll check today.

Thanks Plain. I'll check today.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Checked Tach

I checked the tach. Still running regular RPM's under 3000 while cruising around 70mph and around 2200 at 55 to 60 mph. If the trans was struggling it would have an impact on the tach reading right? I now notice a low roar when coasting to a stop around 10 to 15 mph. The tach returns to 1000 or lower. The tires are in good shape. I have not checked the pressure yet. Engine temp is normal, engine and transmission oil is clean and at good levels. Thinking about taking it to the mechanic on Monday to see if he notices or if he can run a diagnostic. Any other ideas??
Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

Maybe have someone drive the car while you pace it at each corner - maybe you'll hear a crunhy wheel bearing or ??

any work done before this began? Sometimes the 'tabs' on the lower end of the intake filter box don't get into their slots correctly. But, that would probably make a whooshing/roaring or other noise even sitting still.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 07 OBW 2.5i D-4AT
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Given that the engine isn't apparently overreving, as if the transmission isn't shifting to the higher gears, I guess we'd need a more detailed description of the sound, when it appears, and whether it always appears every time the car is driven. Unfortunately, there could be many possibilities and narrowing it down, without being there, is quite the challenge. But I will mention one common source of noise -- a vibrating/loose heat shield under the car, or a leak in the exhaust system.
plain OM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Baldylocks

Car: Silver 06 2.5i
Send a message via Yahoo to mrk610

Rear wheel bearings going bad.
mrk610 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Thanks

Thanks, I'll check the exhaust and the wheel bearings. I don't notice any external noise, crunching, squealing, etc. No burning smell either. The best way to describe it would be the engine just sounds louder when I stop accelerating whether I'm at 70 mph or 15 Mph. Can't tell if there is any performance drop. The computer gas milage read out is consistant with what it has always been. Are rear wheel bearing failures typical for this model with only 50k on the odometer?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

I had a bad RW bearing at 42K on my 06 WRX. disappointing but, it happens I guess.

wait...

EDIT, yeah, there's a recall that you may need to investigate;

Quote:
5/2/2008
Legacy, Outback, certain 2005 and early 2006 models Rear Wheel Bearings may, over time, develop a noise condition that causes the bearing to produce a whining sound Subaru. has initiated an Extended Warranty Program for Rear Wheel Bearings on certain 2005 and early 2006 model year Legacy and Outback models. Coverage will be extended to 8 years or 100,000 miles.
During a quality review, Subaru discovered that there is a possibility that one or both of an affected vehicle's Rear Wheel Bearings may, over time, develop a noise condition that causes the bearing to produce a whining sound. This sound does not pose a safety issue and does not adversely affect the normal operation of the bearing. However, if the vehicle experiences this condition, it should be corrected by replacing the affected bearing, which will eliminate the sound. As a result of this finding and in the interest of customer satisfaction, SOA is extending the Rear Wheel Bearing warranty coverage period for the affected vehicles to 8 years (96 months) or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Technical Service Bulletin number 03-58-08
Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Texan. I will definitely look into that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: