FNG with an OB. - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default FNG with an OB.

Traded in my WJ and picked up a new to me 05 2.5i base 5m OB. So far very good although I have some questions. I picked up a set of 09 wrx gunmetal wheels and would like your thoughts on 235/55r17 vs. 225/55r17 for new tires. I dug around the threads and would like to know if the extra width would lower mpgs vs. lowering the rpms on the highway (increasing mpg?) Or if I should stop giving a .

Did the DRL bypass.....any down sides to this or ways to get the headlights to turn on automatically? (night or rain) I replaced the sub par factory HU with a Pioneer 3400BH and added a single 10". I actually think the factory coaxial speakers sound decent with the right crossover settings. I am thinking a fiberglass/mdf sub enclosure this winter with a 10" shallow mount sub in the front portion of the Styrofoam cargo tray above the spare is in order. I installed the KYB GR-2 00-04. It took me 1 hr per side to get that lower nut/bolt loss....torch, dewalt impact, hammer, jack, breaker bar, beer. What a world of difference! 78,000 on the factory rear struts. Much more confident manners on the thruway. Bye Bye boaty feel! Future additions will be whispbar crossbars and 2 Rocky mounts Tie rods for the spring.

Has anyone done a muffler delete on the 2.5i specifically the nameless route? I'm not so much interested in performance rather the sound these boxxers make!

Last but not least, Hello and thank you for all the upcoming years of support and knowledge.
Poorboy006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 08 Outback 2.5I and 14 Legacy 2.5

The wider tire will, in theory, lower your MPGs. I don t see more than 1 MPG with the slight increase in width. They appear to be the same hight so no RPM difference will be seen. I think that was your question. Have fun, I d like to know how the wider tires work as I have thought of it. Any rubbing???
cerbomark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gallery Ninja

Car: 2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboy006 View Post
Traded in my WJ and picked up a new to me 05 2.5i base 5m OB. So far very good although I have some questions. I picked up a set of 09 wrx gunmetal wheels and would like your thoughts on 235/55r17 vs. 225/55r17 for new tires. I dug around the threads and would like to know if the extra width would lower mpgs vs. lowering the rpms on the highway (increasing mpg?) Or if I should stop giving a .

Did the DRL bypass.....any down sides to this or ways to get the headlights to turn on automatically? (night or rain) I replaced the sub par factory HU with a Pioneer 3400BH and added a single 10". I actually think the factory coaxial speakers sound decent with the right crossover settings. I am thinking a fiberglass/mdf sub enclosure this winter with a 10" shallow mount sub in the front portion of the Styrofoam cargo tray above the spare is in order. I installed the KYB GR-2 00-04. It took me 1 hr per side to get that lower nut/bolt loss....torch, dewalt impact, hammer, jack, breaker bar, beer. What a world of difference! 78,000 on the factory rear struts. Much more confident manners on the thruway. Bye Bye boaty feel! Future additions will be whispbar crossbars and 2 Rocky mounts Tie rods for the spring.

Has anyone done a muffler delete on the 2.5i specifically the nameless route? I'm not so much interested in performance rather the sound these boxxers make!

Last but not least, Hello and thank you for all the upcoming years of support and knowledge.
Over the weekend I had the headers off of my 04 ru. After re-installing them, but leaving the exhaust un-attached, I started the car. - uhg.. ever been to a Nascar race? Yeah, that's your easy answer to hearing your boxer. ;P - Sounds rad!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback 2.5i

For that true boxer sound, you should go with uneven length headers. This will bring out that raspy sound you are looking for, much more so than any muffler deletes which will likely only annoy the neighbors.

+1 on letting us know on the fit of the wider tires.
mike552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 08 Outback 2.5I and 14 Legacy 2.5

I have a boxer engine in my 911... Made the sport exhaust mod and it does sound great...Wonder if I can get the Sub to sound like the Porsche!!!!
cerbomark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerbomark View Post
I have a boxer engine in my 911... Made the sport exhaust mod and it does sound great...Wonder if I can get the Sub to sound like the Porsche!!!!
Probably.
mike552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorboy006 View Post

I have 235/55-17 on my 06. They fit fine with no rubbing, but the extra width will cause extra rolling resistance. So they will cost 1-2 MPG. When I replace them, I will go narrower with the next set. The downside to that is less cargo capacity, but not really an issue for daily commuting.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

The more exhaust research I did the less happy I became (EL vs. UEL) and I do not want to futz with headers. Sooo I guess I will maybe go with 2 Magnaflows welded up axleback style by cannibalizing the factory mufflers. I'm having a hard time finding soundclips for just the 2.5i. I just want to hear the car more so my shifting is better especially with music on around town. AVO's don't sound any different to stock to me either.

I think I will be sticking with the 225/55r17 tire size since I drive mainly around town. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Santa brought a Perrin adjustable short throw shifter, slim shift knob and front shifter bushings. I must say I absolutely love the new feel of the short throw shifter adapter. I have not installed the bushings yet but already the shifting feels more precise. Very easy install and ended up setting shift height to 52mm (48-61 max). Using Loc tite on the STS bolt is a must. If you order direct from Perrin use coupon code WR10BR for 10% off.

Install link: ** PERRIN Short Shift Adapter DIY **

My girlfriend says she thinks I am shifting better to now... perfect excuse for any needed justification . Some pics of the knob installed. I shall report back once the front bushings are installed.
Attached Thumbnails
FNG with an OB.-st1.jpg   FNG with an OB.-st2.jpg  
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

I notice no difference due to width and would find it hard to believe you would notice that small difference as well. I installed really thin tires on one of my Legacy's....nothing.

I notice no increase in mileage when running donut spares....just kidding. LOL

In my experience I'd have to be overtly picky to notice the difference to begin with and then a super bean counter to attribute it to width and not gas, driving, temperature, load, etc. I notice some difference due to diameter (which changes final gear ratio) sometimes depending on engine/model.

i have a fleet of Subaru's, numerous wheel and tire sizes, swap them indiscriminately, travel alot, and track gas mileage. in the past few years: new orleans 3 times, missouri, georgia a bunch, colorado, maine, florida and multiple shorter trips.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: