05 cat question - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback 2.5i Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 05 cat question

We have an 05 limited with 110k miles. It started throwing a code. Di while it was in for the timing belt change we had the shop check it out. They said the cat was bad and would be from 600-1000 to fix. Really? I guess my question is 1- are they really that expensive and 2- is it a bolt on piece or do I need a muffler shop to do it? I've seen them on eBay for 250 or so but don't know if they are cheap/low quality ones. Any help appreciated I want to get it fixed I just don't want to get ripped off. Btw it's a 2.5i no turbo. Thanks!
blackbeauty05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: '05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
We have the exact year and engine car.
Just before the warranty expired at 100K miles, the car was idling terribly slowly (idling around 400 to 500, barely readable on the tachometer).

My wife was on the interstate and she said the car started losing all power, like the engine was having some kind of problem. She drove it to a Subaru dealership an hour from home, on her way home, and within three hours, they had (I believe) two catalytic converters replaced along with two sensors IIRC.

It brought the idle back up to around 7 to 800 R's and the car immediately ran better, like it did when we purchased it new in '05.
Saint J VT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

What is the code? We need it.

Also, it likely is NOT your cat.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

A new cat CAN cost that much, legitimately... but as AWDFTW says it's not very likely that you need it. Lots of shops cut to the chase and sell expensive parts instead of doing thorough diagnostics. As long as the cat hasn't been completely poisoned or clogged, and isn't rusted out, then it's quite likely that the fault is elsewhere.

Post the diagnostic code(s) and we'll try to help evaluate whether this really is a failed cat or just lousy detective work.
rasterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

2005 Outbacks have a very specific issue - I believe part of a recall. I have heard of numerous 2005 models having their catalytic converters replaced for free via Subaru....and there's an ECM reflash as well, though that might be for later models, not sure but just check into it, Subaru should know well the details.

Here's a guy with a 2005 that had new converters installed:
Recall Notice WVM23

What they said is true - there are a few "catalytic converter" related codes, we need to know which one it is.

Let's for a moment ignore this recall issue and assume this is due to a P0420 code while I'm here just in case you need to be prepared:

That being said.... in more general terms (specific issue aside) Catalytic converter replacement is stupid (I'm putting it lightly) and one of the biggest debacles of the automotive industry right now - due to the P0420 code which is a joke.

If this is due to a P0420 - your converter is working fine (*see below) and would pass any state emissions sniff test if they'd perform it (though they won't with the check engine light on).

*Converter failure is only likely if the engine has seen serious abuse or massive engine issues. Highly unlikely. (or it's part of that recall deal noted above).

There’s a $5 fix that should be done first, so far it’s worked every time I’ve done it and to every friend I’ve recommended it too. That is standard P0420 practice for all newer vehicles due to the scope of this issue. They now sell the part all over ebay ready to go, a few years ago you sort of had to make your own from a part at the auto parts store (though it was very easy).

New sensor isn't a bad idea, that generally doesn't fix it and doesn't affect engine performance (that sensor isn't even used by the ECU routines), but they're not that expensive, easy to change and a lot simpler than exhaust replacement.

Any leaks need to be sealed up.

Yes catalytic converters are expensive. Buy a used one or aftermarket, but cheap stuff can rust quickly. I just priced a complete Bosal exhaust from the headers all the way to the muffler (including catalytic converter) for $225 shipped to my door from Rockauto.com. Only $100 for the converter section...i'll buy 3 of those if i have to before the insanely priced Subaru units...I ended up buying a complete Subaru system from Colorado (no rust) for $175 shipped to me from a board member.

A shop can easily and inexpensively (but you need a reasonable shop that doesn't charge a lot – often times they can charge a good bit) install any exhaust - it's just pipe really, not much to it. I've welded and installed my own, exhaust/muffler shops are set up for it and can do it very quickly. But - a check engine light is possible if it’s far from stock (Size and such). They should be able to mimic the original though.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

The code was p0420. They told my wife to try running Chevron premium gas for a while to see if the light would go out, and it did for a while. It is now on all the time regardless of the fuel she uses.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2003 2.5 4EAT with AWP.

Search P0420 here.

Typically an exhaust leak or failing oxygen sensor. Almost never the cat.

Also: More rust and parking lot scars than I care to think about.
AWDFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeauty05 View Post
The code was p0420. They told my wife to try running Chevron premium gas for a while to see if the light would go out, and it did for a while. It is now on all the time regardless of the fuel she uses.
if you will take keen notice - i predicted the future by guessing what the code was....re-read my last reply, i basically covered it all.

i'd fix it for $5 and a few minutes and be done with it.

you *do not* need a new converter. i
Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Grossgary- I've looked on eBay for the $5 fix, are talking about the spacer for the o2 sensor? If that's the case I will give it a try. If not I'd like to know exactly what it is that works. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeauty05 View Post
Grossgary- I've looked on eBay for the $5 fix, are talking about the spacer for the o2 sensor? If that's the case I will give it a try.
well done, that's it. install that thing and kiss this issue good bye hopefully!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: