3.0 H6 feels like it has turbo lag - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 3.0 H6 feels like it has turbo lag

It literally feels like there is a turbo kicking in at 3000rpm, only it is a NA engine.

From standstill to 3000 it pulls normally, not exactly or specifically hard. On 3000 you can feel a firm shove from behind that lasts to the red line.

1) I am positive the air cleaner is clean, what else could cause this?

2) How does normal fueling work with the multi point fuel injection? I never heard of that would someone please explain what makes that different from standard fuel injection

3) Does the fuel mapping change when you put it in sport, or only the gear changes?

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

is the car new to you or has there been a recent change in the way it drives?

My 03 is a dog from a standstill, but has great passing power on the highway. But, your car probably has active lift valves. You may be detecting the point at which those kick in. That 'might' be programmable too.(rom raider, ECU flash, etc.)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R

OBone,

My 2005 3.0R does the same exact thing at 3000 RPM. I believe this is the Active Valve Control System at work (or maybe it's AVLS). But I sure wish it had another 40 ft.lb. of torque for a nicer take off from a dead stop.

What’s Inside: Active Valve Control System
Soledad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBone View Post
It literally feels like there is a turbo kicking in at 3000rpm, only it is a NA engine.

From standstill to 3000 it pulls normally, not exactly or specifically hard. On 3000 you can feel a firm shove from behind that lasts to the red line.

1) I am positive the air cleaner is clean, what else could cause this?

2) How does normal fueling work with the multi point fuel injection? I never heard of that would someone please explain what makes that different from standard fuel injection

3) Does the fuel mapping change when you put it in sport, or only the gear changes?

Thanks
Multi-point or multi-port just means more than one injector. Typically it is one per cylinder, or one per cylinder plus one extra for cold starts. One per cylinder is considered normal these days.

In the early days of FI, a single large injector was shared by all cylinders. Also known as throttle body injection- TBI. GM stuck with that system a lot longer than others but they have since caught up.

The hot new thing is gasoline direct injection -GDI. this is similar to multipoint, but the injectors now spray directly into the combustion chamber rather than into the port space behind the intake valve. It brings gains in power and MPG, but several manufacturers have had real trouble with fouled intake valves now that they aren't being constantly washed in a stream of gasoline droplets. Subaru is just taking their baby steps with GDI.

Sport mode does change the throttle angle mapping, but I don't think it changes the actual fuel map. It just creates a nonlinear response so that the first half of the gas pedal opens the throttle much faster than normal.

My best shot in the dark based in available info is that the engine is doing its thing, and something is up in the Trans. Have you looked at fluid level and condition? I wonder if the torque converter lockup clutch is the kick in the pants you are feeling...
Rallitek sway bars F&R + AVO rear sway bar reinforcement brackets
JDM divorced stereo/HVAC controller, JVC DD stereo
Did you know your 2005-2009 Outback has a built-in diagnostic scanner?
rasterman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

0-3,000 rpm is "normal"
3,000+ rpm "firm shove that lasts til redline"
that sounds like a great running engine.

can you clarify where it seems lacking? i don't see the question or issue.

he just explained MPFI. One injector for each cylinder just prior to the intake valve instead of one injector earlier in the intake for all cylinders (SPFI) or Carburetors which are antiquated junk. MPFI injection on the H6 is standard stuff, the same as every other subaru since 1990 (with a handful of early 90's old school phase out models).
Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soledad View Post
OBone,

My 2005 3.0R does the same exact thing at 3000 RPM. I believe this is the Active Valve Control System at work (or maybe it's AVLS). But I sure wish it had another 40 ft.lb. of torque for a nicer take off from a dead stop.

What’s Inside: Active Valve Control System
Thanks so we can assume it is normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasterman View Post
Multi-point or multi-port just means more than one injector. Typically it is one per cylinder, or one per cylinder plus one extra for cold starts. One per cylinder is considered normal these days.

In the early days of FI, a single large injector was shared by all cylinders. Also known as throttle body injection- TBI. GM stuck with that system a lot longer than others but they have since caught up.

The hot new thing is gasoline direct injection -GDI. this is similar to multipoint, but the injectors now spray directly into the combustion chamber rather than into the port space behind the intake valve. It brings gains in power and MPG, but several manufacturers have had real trouble with fouled intake valves now that they aren't being constantly washed in a stream of gasoline droplets. Subaru is just taking their baby steps with GDI.

Sport mode does change the throttle angle mapping, but I don't think it changes the actual fuel map. It just creates a nonlinear response so that the first half of the gas pedal opens the throttle much faster than normal.

My best shot in the dark based in available info is that the engine is doing its thing, and something is up in the Trans. Have you looked at fluid level and condition? I wonder if the torque converter lockup clutch is the kick in the pants you are feeling...
Very well explained thanks. We must ask admin to give us a thank you function

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
0-3,000 rpm is "normal"
3,000+ rpm "firm shove that lasts til redline"
that sounds like a great running engine.

can you clarify where it seems lacking? i don't see the question or issue.
I just wanted to know if this curve of power delivery is normal.

I am used to engines tuned for torque low down.
My first car was an old turbo diesel, it had the ability to launch with all its torque in one big lump then it was dead at 3000rpm (those old diesels are low revving)

My recent V8 was tuned for low down torque, proper off road motor. Also lunge but it never really hit the power curve. At 4000rpm it would run out of ideas as well.

With the H6 it is the other way around. slower to get of the line, thengoes like a rocket. I am loving it. I am also missing low down torque with this motor. But that would be like having a problem with Cindy Crawford's face because of that little black spot

Thanks guys
Old 12-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 06 VDC H6

Yeah that is exactly how our 06 H6 is.
I drive a chevy truck with a 6.0L and my wife's old car was a 2005.5 TDI Jetta. They both have more low end.. The H6 is gutless below 3000, but from 3000 up it pulls GREAT.
Jonathan
ssweet9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: