Rear lateral link bolt and bushing (The link used to adjust toe) - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car: 2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Put a bigger wrench on it. I thought mine were frozen too, but a torch and a breaker bar got them loose. Your cars undercarriage looks similar to mine in terms of surface rust, or lack there of.
cmill1154 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback 2.5XT & 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis
Send a message via AIM to mgozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossgary View Post
you can even stop by your local dealer, show them your parts lists and tell them you'd like to work with them if they'd come close to the online prices.

saves shipping costs/delays and problems if you get the wrong parts, which i've had happen multiple times (but i order a lot) with the Subaru online places. i've had more errors with ordering from the online Subaru parts places than places like Advanced Auto, Rock auto, etc...actually i don't think i've ever gotten the wrong part from a parts store (which I order more from), but I've had it happen multiple times with Subaru online dealers.

It makes sense - those places aren't fully dedicated parts suppliers, they're run out of a dealer somewhere. They've all been great to deal with when there is a an error, but you just have delays, and credit back, check your card, reorder, wait.

But ordering is nice too - saves a lot of time (if it's right) - shows up on your door step.
I did exactly this. My local Subaru dealer was willing to come close on the pricing. Close enough that I save at least $14.00 vs. the shipped price from Subaru Online Parts. I am very pleased.

Now to find someplace to replace the trailing link! It's a bit blustery outside in NH at the moment and I don't have a garage at my disposal... yet. I'm asking around.
mgozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmill1154 View Post
Put a bigger wrench on it. I thought mine were frozen too, but a torch and a breaker bar got them loose. Your cars undercarriage looks similar to mine in terms of surface rust, or lack there of.
The tech working on the car didn't want to break the bolt so we didn't go all out on it. I have the parts and I'm going to replace them soon, then get an alignment done.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
You might also want to add Whileline KCA 399 rear camber adjustable bushings. This will allow the camber to be adjusted as well.
I'm not really worried about the rear camber at this time. It is a bit out of spec but not enough where I'd be worried about it causing excessive tire wear.

Also I have dealt with polly bushings (and hub centric ones at that!) in the past and I'd like to stay away from them. The climate I'm in is not friendly to bushings that need tlc and I honestly don't have the time to give them the tlc they require.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default Lateral link replacement finished!

From start to finish it took about 4 hours. This was done in my snowy driveway (not fun at all) and I had to call my neighbor to borrow his saws all (reciprocating saw in case anyone was wondering).

I had to cut the inner cam bolt head off with the saws all and during the process I went through 2 blades.

The issue at hand was the bolt was welded to the bushing do to oxidation. This caused the right rear toe to be frozen at some .52 degrees (or some god awful number not good for tire wear). I was unable to remove the bolt even with heat and a big ass hammer. I owe my neighbor a few beers and few blades! The cam bolt was a hardened grade 8 bolt so it dulled the blades up like butter.

Here is what the end of the old lateral link looked like after it was removed:

I cut enough of the bolt through so I could use a impact wrench to bust it off:

Here is the new genuine Subaru part and hardware installed:
Nice and shiny new!

I installed the new lateral link and hardware with plenty of anti sieze. Hopefully this will keep it from freezing up in the future:

Tomorrow morning I'm heading off to get it realigned. Sears Auto in my area are opened 7 days a week. I paid $150 so I can get the car aligned as many times as I want for the next 3 years. I think it is a pretty good deal. Especially seeing as I plan to due some suspension work in the next few months.

Ahh the feeling of a job well done. Now I need to go take a hot shower. It was cold as **** out!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Wagon 2.5i M/T

Thanks for the useful post and pictures. I just bought a 2006 and the alignment report the previous owner gave me shows the rear toe adjustment on both sides to be 'frozen". Toe is .17 degree toe-in on the worst wheel, while specs are for between 0 and .13 degrees toe-out. A camber adjustment on the right front (presumably a strut/steering knuckle bolt) is also rusted "frozen" - in a 2006 car (very new by my standards). Blame it on all that road salt I guess. So, I may have to do the same thing at some point. At a minimum, I'll remove the nut and try to inject penetrating oil into the bushing sleeve and maybe it will work loose over time until the next alignment.

Now, for a SAFETY ADVISORY:

I hope I'm wrong about this, but did you have anything else holding the car up besides that jack, extended fully, sitting on a old particle-board table-top, on slippery snow? Assuming you didn't, you are lucky to be alive! Please tell me that there was a pair of safety stands just out of view of the picture...right?

Everyone... Never, ever, rely on just a jack to support car you are getting underneath!
Yunzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: