06 xt turbo questions - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 xt turbo questions

Just bought the car and love it, but I could swear that the boost is inconsistent. Sometimes it hits hard and is spot on, sometimes I have to wonder if the blow off valve is stuck open. I was planning on putting a boost gauge in anyways and there seem to be lots of options, all of which are a pain to install. Any advice on choosing one over another?

Also - If I were to replace the blow off valve and wanted one that didn't require re-tuning but was just a better drop-in replacement for the stock one, where should I be looking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

The install on the gauges seems more difficult than I pictured, so I think I'll just replace the BOV and see if that takes care of it. Seems like the most likely problem, though if this doesn't do it i'll probably put in new vacuum tubes next. Turbosmart seems to have some reasonable drop-in replacements for the stock BOV, does anyone have an opinion on this one? Product | Kompact Plumb Back Mazdasubaru | Turbosmart USA
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 02:38 PM

Car: 05 OBXT Limited AT
Welcome and congrats on your new purchase! I have no idea about your background with tubo'd cars, so forgive me if you already know the following -

It is not out of the ordinary for the seat of the pants boost feel to be inconsistent. The feel is influenced by not only rpms and resulting boost pressure, but also vehicle speed and gearing. There are a few sweet spots for that nice strong kick that pushes you back in the seat. However, there are also spots where you will be making a bunch of power and just not feel it as strong due to the above. At least, that's what I have noticed.

Have you found the legacygt.com resource yet? Go over there and check it out, lots of additional information in the technical forum section for turbo powertrains. Do a bunch of research before dropping the the cash on a BOV. For about the same amount of money as the one you referenced, you could get a light aftermarket tune that will probably give a much greater performance increase over a BOV.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

I've had one turbo'd car prior to this (SAAB 9-3) that took a bit of consistent tinkering to keep running well. I had some similar issues with it and wound up having to replace the BOV, and after I did I wished I'd done it earlier, there was a substantial change over the stock plastic one. I'm familiar with the load not RPMs impacting the feel, but even from a stop the XT feels different at times. It may just be normal for this car, but it even sounds different after some gear changes than others when you'd expect an "exhale" sound (I'm not talking about a chirp, I'm trying to keep this thing quite and just re-circulate).

EDIT: PS - I did find that legacy gt site earlier, it's awesome as **** what you can easily change on this car! I'm pretty excited and can't wait to screw something up
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

The new BOV came in today, install was super easy. Looking at the old one this new one is clearly much better made and designed, but I think the main problem with the old one was the gasket had a malformed section which may have prevented it from sealing all the way. In my initial drive to the store and back it seemed a little quicker off the line but I could really only do so much on city streets during rush hour. We'll see how it does on the commute tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	705303_10100929137952146_1386676590_o.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	493.8 KB
ID:	26938   Click image for larger version

Name:	701911_10100929138271506_1024842189_o.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	26939  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 01:34 PM

Car: 05 OBXT Limited AT
Sounds good so far! Let us know how it turns out. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts after the swap settles in a bit...if the inconsistencies with boost feel goes away.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

After about a week of driving this does seem like an improvement but doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.

I'm thinking what I may need is a manual boost controller, but I'm not convinced as I don't fully understand what's happening.

This is an automatic, but this is what I've figured out:
First gear the boost always works fine now. This was not the case with the old valve.
Second gear I believe the boost always works fine but as it's an automatic I can't swear to knowing when I'm in second.
Third and above is where the problem is. After shifting under load the BOV doesn't seem to re-seal with any sort of predictability. If I didn't keep on the gas through the shift and hit the gas enough to use the turbo it just doesn't hold with any real amount of pressure. It sounds (and feels due to the lack of power) like it's venting at least partially. If I kept on the gas through the shift and I'm still trying to accelerate I'm almost certain that it's still partially venting.

Part of me thinks I need a stiffer spring in the BOV, part of me thinks I need a manual boost controller, part of me thinks I need both, and part of me thinks I don't know enough about this that it couldn't still be something else entirely.

ANY and all thoughts would be much appreciated.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM

Car: 2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 140K
Are you actually monitoring boost or just going by "gut'?

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Just going by gut at this point, but something really feels and sounds off.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Car: Well-loved 2006 2.5XT
These cars have the "sport shift" mode. "Sport" mode always kicks it better for mine. Also, I've found that once I've "engaged" the turbo once or twice playfully, she seems more willing to blow somebody off the road when I want her to.

Turbo or No Go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: