Gremlins in my dash! - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback XT 5MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Gremlins in my dash!

Have an 05 XT that i purchased back in Oct (i am now the 2nd owner). Anyhow, a rattleing noise has developed behind the dash (on driver side). At times, it seems to be coming from directly behind the gauges, while at other times it seems to be more to the left corner. There does not seem to be a pattern of when the rattleing begins, so that is why i indicate a gremlin! Also, its very difficult to get my ear up closer to the dash to pinpoint it. Any ideas appreciated. Thx.
ess56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess56 View Post
Have an 05 XT that i purchased back in Oct (i am now the 2nd owner). Anyhow, a rattleing noise has developed behind the dash (on driver side). At times, it seems to be coming from directly behind the gauges, while at other times it seems to be more to the left corner. There does not seem to be a pattern of when the rattleing begins, so that is why i indicate a gremlin! Also, its very difficult to get my ear up closer to the dash to pinpoint it. Any ideas appreciated. Thx.
omg! I think I have the exact same thing! It happens when my 05 xt (2nd owner aswell) shakes. When it rattles on the drivers side, I can nudge the dash towards the window and it goes away until the car shakes again. Also more recently it rattles on the right corner now. Thought it might be a screw bouncing around. It was most noticeable when i had a bad wheel bearing and when the car shakes the rattle would show up. But after i got a new hub/bearing in, the rattle went away because the car would drive smoother. It comes back once in awhile.
tubeboggan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R

My '05 has the same rattle. There is a TSB on it. Check here for the .pdf of the TSB.

Someone found that if you take off the side panel on the left side of the dash and make the screw hole bigger it allows the dash to move forward just enough to stop the rattle. I was going to try that when the weather warms up more.

Others will wedge a piece of solid foam or rubber between the dash and windshield to get it to stop. I'm just about ready to do that because the colder it is the louder the rattle is. And I drive dirt roads frequently and it's driving me insane.
Soledad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback XT 5MT

Guys -
Thx for the quick response here.....sorry to see that you both have the same issue, but on the other hand glad i'm not going crazy here. Will checkout the TSB and foam idea! Thx again.
ess56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soledad View Post
My '05 has the same rattle. There is a TSB on it. Check here for the .pdf of the TSB.

Someone found that if you take off the side panel on the left side of the dash and make the screw hole bigger it allows the dash to move forward just enough to stop the rattle. I was going to try that when the weather warms up more.

Others will wedge a piece of solid foam or rubber between the dash and windshield to get it to stop. I'm just about ready to do that because the colder it is the louder the rattle is. And I drive dirt roads frequently and it's driving me insane.

This is what I did a few days ago. I used a piece of toolbox liner rubber stuffed between the dash and windshield, just left of the Vin number.. Worked like a charm.

As to what causes the rattle, from what I can tell it's the defroster duct separating from the dash. The defroster duct is a 3-sided piece that is plastic welded/glued to the dash.
ScoobyRu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: