Advice buying an 05 OB - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Advice buying an 05 OB

I am looking into buying a 05 OB 2.5i with 93k mi on it. I test drove it the other day and it seemed to drive well, shift smoothly. Didn't notice any odd noises, vibrations, etc. either. Asking $9,500. They did a alignment and put new tires on it. My '98 jumped timing and there is internal engine damage that I can't afford to fix it.

Does anyone have any advice? Would you buy this car? Should I be aware of common issues with this model? I cannot afford another car that will require a lot of money to maintain and fix.

Thanks for your help
andeano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box

Take your '98's incident as a lesson...timing belt is due on the '05 at 105k. Do it! Or, have it done a bit early and maybe work it into the deal.

You might do well posting your '98 in the classifieds here. If anyone lives close to you, a member may be interested in buying it for significantly more than a scrap yard would give you, and probably more than a dealer would give you on trade.

Current Vehicle:
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Outback XT Ltd
Send a message via AIM to dlo13 Send a message via Skype™ to dlo13

take it to a mechanic you know. Only way to know for sure... and even then there is always things you cant expect.

dlo13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks. I am planning on taking it to a mechanic but I don't know anyone in Santa Fe I can rely on, so it might be a little iffy. I was thinking about getting a new timing belt put in the '05 around 100k. Do you know how much that costs off the top of your head? I know after my '98 jumped it was about $1100 to put in a new component kit and belt. If simply replacing the belt is going to cost that much I might just go for a newer, used Hyundai or something.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 140K

It's in Albuquerque, not Santa Fe, but I've had good luck with Garcia Subaru.

Yes. Timing belt is going to cost the same regardless of when you do it. In my opinion, that's why you see so many Subarus for sale in the "almost 105k" range. I think folks see it coming and bail.

I'd try to use it as a bargaining point. If it's a concern to you, buy something else.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCorn View Post
It's in Albuquerque, not Santa Fe, but I've had good luck with Garcia Subaru.

Yes. Timing belt is going to cost the same regardless of when you do it. In my opinion, that's why you see so many Subarus for sale in the "almost 105k" range. I think folks see it coming and bail.

I'd try to use it as a bargaining point. If it's a concern to you, buy something else.
No doubt the timing belt thing regardless of make or model tends to be the sale point for many people. I had the same experience this summer looking for a 07 Sequoia. Never failed they were always listed as in fantastic condition all maint done - super clean - low miles etc etc the classic BS. First question I always asked for any vehicle that was 80,000 or more was timing belt service? Is it done yet? Every time the answer was no or they played stupid.

Which case their high its perfect price should be knocked down right away for the cost of a proper dealer timing belt service. It's the buyers who don't know any better that allow sellers to sell cars for top price needing a major service. LOL

The buyer didn't get to enjoy the first 100K its the seller who used the vehicle for the first 100K which case its only common sense the seller gets to cover the cost be it having the service done - or eating the cost of the service in the sale price.
subiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Besides the timing belt, make sure to get the cv boots and endlinks and bushings checked. There was also a recall on the '05s related to the rear wheel bearings. Make sure that was performed as it's not a cheap job. My 05 also has leaky valve cover gaskets. If you pull a spark plug and there is oil on the boot or plug, gaskets should be replaced... this is not an expensive job like the head gaskets.
SeanU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everybody. I decided I probably won't buy the car unless I can't find anything any better. Just really need something I don't have to put a bunch of money into right away. I love Subies but sometimes the problems are too much to take care of.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 05 Outback 2.5i limited

The timing belt R&R will only cost you a couple hundred bucks. It is far cheaper than fixing your 98! Since the car is fairly close, I would insist it is done as part of the deal,...that is if you are still looking at this or any other car that uses a timing belt.
bmb527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: