Subaru Outback Forums banner

What did you do with your 3rd Gen Outback today?

1M views 8K replies 681 participants last post by  scalman 
#1 ·
There's a thread for the other three generations, so why not for us 3rd Gen Owners? Maybe somebody can sticky this?

I'll start:

I replaced the cheap summer blades that came on my 2008 with Rain-X Latitudes. I've used Bosch's in the past and though they work great I wasn't impressed with their longevity. Time to see how the Rain-X's fare.

#1,526 ·
I installed 4 of these LED puppies in my 2 map lights as well as door courtesy lights...
What a difference!

Partsam6X White 28mm Festoon 12SMD LED Light Bulb Glove Box/Dome/Map DE3175 For 2010 2011

Bought these on Amazon for $ 11

#1,527 ·
So yesterday, Frank, Brigid and myself went to one our annual volunteer/donation events. The KBPI "Hand That Feeds". It is usually held at "a car place". This year, a Dodge dealer.

It was their most successful donation year yet. In both food and $$$.

Direct benefit to the Denver Rescue Mission...just a few blocks from Brigid's school. Very visible...very real. We didn't have much...(stupid racecar)...but we gave what we could...even if that is just one hand up.

Frank hauled *ss. She's a literal Monster. Little B seems to be a Green Challenger Girl.

WRX USA...that s*cks...f'n fooking people

Attachments

#1,532 ·
Low mileage! I'll bet you're loving that engine!

My father was looking for a Baja but they're hard to find. He ended up with a one owner '04 5MT base Outback that's been very well maintained.

#1,534 ·
05 H6 R LLBeaner update:

Oil leaks confirmed by the dealer today (as some of you have correctly predicted):
valve cover oil leak
oil cooler housing oil leak

On top of that, scanner threw 6 error codes, ranging from cruise control module, side/marker/turn signals, etc.etc. Dealer kept my car (gave me 2015 OB as a loaner) since they were unable to clear some codes. They have to contact SOA for guidance/assist (codes were confusing) as well as get an approval from service contract provider to cover the repairs. They also have to perform the passenger air bag recall (they didn't have the parts and had to order them).

Luckily I bought 24 K 2 years service contract from the third party underwriter so, to fix all that will just cost me $ 100 deductible. Normally I am not in favor of buying service contracts but on this one I did since I did not have a chance to inspect the car before I bought it.

It doesn't appear that those leaks are anything serious and are easily fixable.

Stay tuned.

#1,535 ·
well got the timing belt done yesterday cause it was too cold to deal with it myself haha but i did get to do a few things today.

4500k DDM Tuning HID head light and fog lights

and I also replaced the spark plugs while i was at it

#1,540 ·
4500k DDM Tuning HID head light and fog lights
Looks great!

I have a few questions:
  1. Is this a plug-and-play kit?
  2. Would you provide a link to the kit you bought?
  3. Would you take a picture of how the beam pattern of just the lows against a wall? I'd like to see if the beams maintain their cutoffs.
  4. How long does it take for the lights to warm up?

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now.

Thanks!

#1,538 ·
^^^ Thanks for the original quote. And thanks for the reminder. This was nice. Sooooo....did we just break it? Or is it an actual toggle? Can I do the procedure again and it'll turn back on if for some reason I miss that wonderful chime?

#1,542 ·
I am getting my windows tinted on my 05 H6R LLBeaner this weekend. As we all know, each State has legal limits on window tints.

FL law requires max VLT 28% on front windows and 15% on rear side and rear window. It also requires the tinting company to put a label on driver's side doorjamb certifying the VLT film that was used.

I have decided to go with Huper Optik Automotive Window Film - this (German) company developed window film for NASA Space Shuttle - using a special spectrally selective Nano technology that allows maximum amount of light in but rejects maximum amount of heat without increasing the visual reflectivity of the glass.

The film costs about the same as 3M or similar. The whole car will cost appx. $ 200
Will post pics next week.

Here is the link:

http://huperoptikusa.com/

#1,543 ·
^^^Frank needs shades too. But in the last couple days...I installed my AVO Oil/PCV separator...or...catch can.

I'll need to trim the engine cover...although it hasn't been on in 3mos.

Attachments

#1,545 ·
^^^Frank needs shades too. But in the last couple days...I installed my AVO Oil/PCV separator...or...catch can.

I'll need to trim the engine cover...although it hasn't been on in 3mos.
I like that blue color!

I will let you know, how it turns out on Saturday (will post some pics then...)

You have 2 dealers there as well: one in Lakewood and one in DEN - I am just curious, how much they would charge for this German stuff in your area......LOL

#1,552 ·
Finished refreshing the suspension on my 160k craigslist 2.5i. Did lower control arms myself, new kyb struts all around, with the 04 spec in the rear. New sway bar bushings and moog endlinks. And took it in for a full alignment.

And wowzers, drives like a brand new beast.

I also dropped in an android head unit from china. I need to write that one up in the audio section. Its like driving in the future with that deck.

These forums are amazing. Thanks to all the contributors here making my dream car something I could do. And to think, before these boards I had a hard time changing a tire....

#1,553 ·
Made it back from the carribean last night.

For you car-spotters, I saw a few fun and interesting rides on Grand Cayman. A few mid-1990s Toyota Supra turbos, a couple of Caribs too. Had forgotten those, and how similar they are to 1st gen Outbacks.

I only saw 3 Subarus the whole time I was on the island. I'm happy to report that all 3 were turbos- a 2008ish STi, a 2005 LGT wagon and a 2nd generation Forester XT.

#1,559 ·
So it finally happened.

I *gulp* paid someone else to change my oil.

I haven't done that since the "free" one they gave me with the purchase of the car 4 years & 50k miles ago.

But it's been quite the trip- I left home nearly a month ago, drove 700 miles for my crazy destination wedding. My girl and I cruised from our home in the Philly exurbs to South Carolina with all of our homemade wedding decorations. Then it became our utility taxi for numerous airport runs, shuttling relatives & friends around. I swear we had that thing over the Ravenel bridge 40 times in a week.

The keys were passed around like a groupie after a concert; everyone got a piece. And the miles racked up oh so quickly.

After the swirling silliness of the ceremony & reception subsided we hauled up to Charlotte to fly to the carribean for a proper honeymoon. Then back to SC for turkeyday with my (original) relatives.

A few miles out of the airport I realized that the B tripmeter was telling me something important- the number "3960" meant I was late! I found some rotella nectar at the local NAPA, dug my emergency filter out of the underfloor bin and hit a locally recommended shop.

The tech who took the keys didn't say anything before going off to do the change. When he came back he wanted to know all about the Wilwood brakes and other mods he'd noticed on the car. Turns out he used to race 914s and so we had a good chat about that. I had nothing to worry about.

After the holiday my new bride and I get to load up all the wedding loot and haul up to PA, back to work, snow & daily hilarity...

#1,560 ·
Sounds like your car was in good hands for the oil change.

I'm the only one that ever changed the oil on my cars from the day I owned them. I'm sure that odds are in my favour for getting it done correctly. But then I think of all the times something so simple was just as "not right" after getting the car back as it was when it went in for something, that at the time, I couldn't do.

I undercoated my car yesterday. Used oil and ATF mix. Got a nice even coat all over the bottom of the car, making sure to hit every bolt, all the doors, in the rockers, over the quarters, subframe, brake line, and flare nut. Then I took it for a good hard drive, blue smoke and all, in rush hour traffic. People behind me were in a hurry for some reason. Hmmmm.... :D

#1,561 ·
I undercoated my car yesterday. Used oil and ATF mix. Got a nice even coat all over the bottom of the car, making sure to hit every bolt, all the doors, in the rockers, over the quarters, subframe, brake line, and flare nut. Then I took it for a good hard drive, blue smoke and all, in rush hour traffic. People behind me were in a hurry for some reason. Hmmmm.... :D

Pardon my ignorance...but this just sounds like you slathered a weird cocktail of oils under your car...if that is what you did, why? <<< Serious question