Subaru Outback Forums banner

What did you do with your 3rd Gen Outback today?

1M views 8K replies 681 participants last post by  scalman 
#1 ·
There's a thread for the other three generations, so why not for us 3rd Gen Owners? Maybe somebody can sticky this?

I'll start:

I replaced the cheap summer blades that came on my 2008 with Rain-X Latitudes. I've used Bosch's in the past and though they work great I wasn't impressed with their longevity. Time to see how the Rain-X's fare.

#1,641 ·
Last thursday I went to my friend's garage to do a suspension overhaul. On my way there I encountered ghostwalking symptoms for the real first time (did expect to happen at some point). Ironically I was "happy" to feel the symptoms as I could afterward tell the difference in handling.

Work done :

-Tranny + rear diff flush w/ "new extra-S"
-Both Front LCA (rear bush) w/ Sti 08/09 Group-N bushings
-Both Rear trailing arm bushings
-00-04 KYB rear struts (reused oem springs)
-Cusco rear strut brace
-FT-RR hotchkis swaybar with kartboy endlinks + avo brackets (came from my LGT)
-Gtspec skid plate

First impressions : Why did I waited that long ?!?

Car feels solid and do not bounce around like it use to on bumpy roads. Alot less bodyroll on highway ramps and the driving seems more neutral (under/oversteer). We'll see the new handling more this summer as I don't really push it on winter tire with temps around 5 deg F this time of year.

Ill get it aligned once I receive my KCA399 kit next week. Probably install my catback just in time for the icetrack season :D

#1,642 ·
OK, not mine & not today

Ok, this was not today, and the Gen3 is not mine. But, it brought me back to post. Yesterday, I met up with a local forum member (Jimi1976) at the renovation project I am working on.

His (single owner-him) '05 2.5 4EAT is going to need some work. He actually followed a recommendation of mine for a Denver area repair shop. It turns out of location convenience, he has been taking the car to Summit auto. They have done some tough work for him, but there is still (regular wear) items that need to be done.

It's a Gen3 so, of course the back end is squishy. We are going to do struts on 4 corners, with the Gen2 dampeners in the rear.

Well, we found a broken RSB end link, ball had popped out of the socket. The rear, forward, lateral link bushings are toast, so new links there as well. We also found the FSB chassis bushings worn out as well. Summit had replaced the FSB endlinks, ball joints, and one front control arm for sure. Odd they didn't replace another $20 in rubber.

Anyway, got back into a Gen3...and got back on here.

#1,644 ·
When I changed out my fuel pump, I was surprised somewhat with the design of the pump cover and seal. It literally seems that all mounting bolts need to be snugged and torqued, in a cross pattern like lug nuts. The spring in the pump is surprising strong. That gasket needs to be I good shape and tight.

#1,645 ·
Well ... thanks for your info. Knowing Subaru service departments, they "love" to replace the whole thing (under any kind of warranty) as they get paid for it, including labor...LOL I don't think they would just replace some seals...I will advise progress next week!

#1,657 ·
Anybody familiar with these fuel pumps on 05 OB 3.0 LLBeaners?

I am told (by the dealer) that my return line seal was leaking in the fuel pump area... which one of those 3 lines (listed/shown in my post# 1643) is the "return line" and where would that seal be?
It's a $ 10.00 item but diagnose and labor intensive... so I am told....

Thanks!

#1,658 ·
I am not sure, which line...right now, and I have to get off to work. But the seal is in the "clip connection". I haven't seen the internals of the Subaru, but on the GMs I worked on, they were nothing more than o-ring. It is a real pain to change them. In both cases, with me, I ended up changing the whole section of short line, with the connection on it.

#1,659 ·
#1,660 ·
Maybe a silly question, but how do you pop off the rear seat to get at the fuel pump?

#1,661 ·
Yank it up by inserting your fingers all the way back in between bottom of the back rest and seat cushion - lift the seat up and remove... you can also pull straight up the seat cushion (front part of it) - the wire clips/hooks are flexible, don't worry about breaking them....

#1,662 ·
Replaced sparkplugs today...

Actually a very straight forward excercise. Used anti-seize on the threads, di-electric grease for the spark plug boots, replaced the wires with Subaru OEM, and NGK Iridium plugs. Removed the battery on the right hand side, removed the airbox on the left hand side. Maybe 45 minutes effort, reconnected the battery, idled 10 minutes no A/C, idled 10 minutes max A/C. Perfect

#1,663 ·
45 min is a really good time for that work. My XT has individual coils on top of the plugs, they make it a bit more work on a turbo.

Anyway, again, not my Gen3...but I wrenched with another OB forum member today (Jimi1976). A while back, this thread was started...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/17-midwest/192530-denver-area-mechanics.html

Jimi1976 took a recommendation of mine, I suspect mostly out of location ease...I believe. Anyway...Summit spent a bunch of his $$$. To be fair, they did a bunch of work.

Today...Jimi1976 and tdck...we did a whole lot better. We changed RSB links, they were both broken, completely, at the sockets. We swapped his 130K+ rear, forward later links (bushing torn)...for a set I had with less mileage. And we changed the FSB chassis bushings. Jimi was very generous for my effort.

Midwest car, so, lots of rust. But Jimi soaked with PB...all week, twice a day. Sh*t didn't spin off , but it wasn't terrible. 2' cheater bar, from my floor jack was needed for most bolts to budge. But we didn't break anything. Had to bust out the grinder for the broken socket pieces on the RSB.

I was intrigued, the '05 2.5 N/A and the '06 turbo are significantly different (around the front sway bar) with connecting plates, light and heavy cross-member...steel bits. Small chassis changes, either 1 Gen year change/upgrade...or turbo difference.

All in all we did well, 2-2 1/2 hours of chatting and wrenching, and we were on a stable, quiet...test drive. NICE. Jimi and I wrenched, our kids played...Jimi's dog and "better 1/2" providing a welcomed distraction.

The stuff of good friends and family...which brings me to my point, this forum is great community. I found it, I needed help with my rig. Most of us found our way here due to similar circumstances. Jimi and I crossed paths...due to this community. Jimi took pics of the work, and hopefully will post them. I had fun with another Subi. And onther OBF member. If the 2.5 N/A had been a STI instead, today would have felt like a night with a hooker (actually, I have no idea what that is like) See, I have no time to wrench on Frank, but it was nice to be under the skirt of a moped...LOL

tdck

#1,664 ·
Suspension work on 2005 2.5i

Got together with traildogck today to replace some worn out/broken suspension parts on my '05 2.5i.

- front sway bar bushings (subaru OEM)
- rear sway bar end links (AC Delco)
- rear forward lateral links (Subaru OEM)

Fair amount of rust underneath (just moved to CO from Illinois - purchased car new in '05) - so I was soaking bolts twice a day with PB leading up to today. Everything broke loose alright - only two bolts had to be cut.

traildogck generously donated his old lateral links from his '06 XT to the cause - all other parts brand new.

Rear links were disconnected (both sides), and the front bushings were clunking around like mad. It was not fun to drive (even with new tires)!
So, now with new parts in, the car drives like it did the day we drove it off the lot in '05!

Next up: struts all around ('05 front, '04 rear - KYB).

I can't begin to thank traildogck enough - proof of how this community (and others like it) really help each other out!

Here's a few pics from today (second to last pic is of old parts, last one is comparison of old front sway bar bushings to old)

Attachments

#1,669 ·
Installed Prova yellow convex side mirrors. I removed the heating element from the OEM glass and then swapped them on to these and then installed these by themselves (without the OEM glass).
So convex I get, does the amber help with visual also, like lenses in ski goggles?

#1,666 ·
I FINALLY got around to fixing my driver's side heated seat and took all of 10 minutes.

Setting the scene. Went shopping with the wife. She flicks on her seat and she's bragging about her butt being toasty. I've only ever had heat out of my seat once in the 18 months or so I've had the car, when I tested the seat just after getting the car. So, that's it! I'm doing it today! Well, "today" was yesterday afternoon but I digress.

Murphy's Law should be good and ready. It's 3:00pm, 8F, windchill just below zero. Sun is still up but I expect a couple hours of tearing the seat down to find the broken connection so it'll be dark when the seat goes back in. The driver's door shields my exposed back from the wind while I'm taking the front bolts out. I move the seat forward and go to the back seat to get the rear bolts out. I go back to the front. I tip the seat back to disconnect the wiring to bring the seat into the house. Then I see the problem. Murphy wasn't ready after all!

I see there's ONE vacant receptacle in the center of the seat. I look down and see one four pin plug hanging off the harness coming off the floor. Oh my gawd that's all it is. It wasn't plugged in. I didn't even get to use my ohm meter or have my wife complain we needed to go out while I had the seat torn apart on my living room floor and have to argue with her about why I was doing it at a time convenient for me and not convenient for her!

So plugged the connector in, sat down in the seat, started the car and flicked the heat to high and did my own version of George Takei's "Oh my!" It was wonderful! I moved the seat back and put the bolts in right then. Texted a buddy explaining how heated seats work better when plugged in, and then put the rear bolts in.

I've never had a working heated seat in the winter before. Now I know what it feels like!

Reactions: jogosub
#1,667 ·
How did it get detached? Just curious to know...maybe by vacuum cleaning under the seat?

My 05 OB is still in the shop (for over a week now); the Dealer cannot locate the fuel pump assembly in the U.S. They kept replacing O-rings here and there (around the fuel pump) to no avail, fuel keeps leaking and they couldn't figure out from where....so, they've decided to replace the whole fuel pump assembly.

I have a 15 Legacy as a loaner and I am glad, I don't own that one. The most annoying is the turn flash module - clicking, when making turns. Was that designed on purpose? Not sure, what the purpose is...LOL Even thought it has leather inside, somehow the car feels "cheap"... just my observation though...

#1,671 ·
How did it get detached? Just curious to know...maybe by vacuum cleaning under the seat?
I'm not sure how it became detached.

I had stripped the interior of the car after purchase to remove the pig barn smell, mold, mud, spruce/pine needles, maggot shells, and mouse crap. After getting everything back together I tested everything. I must not have double checked that one cable to see if it was locked in place because the rest of them were when I checked them all yesterday.

My wife is in some store shopping right now while I'm waiting outside. Seat is nice and warm against my backside right now and I'm loving it!

#1,672 ·
The engine, power and AT on that 15 Legacy are OK - but, the suspension is strange; you hear loud bump every time the tire goes over some pot hole or object on the road. Overall, the design/large metal sheet doors, front and rear just look like another Camry or similar. The car may be safe but it is simply boring by looking at it - not sure what segment is this car is targeted on...it simply doesn't stand out, like 05 OB LLBeaner....LOL

#1,674 ·
Welcome to the warm-butt club, cracklin. Its so nice when you expect a huge deal and find an unconnected connector. =)

Today, I went with a friend to a dealership since he is in the market for his first Sub and I learned about these free badges of ownership:

https://www.badgeofownership.com/Order/ThankYou

Just ordered mine.

Attachments

#1,675 ·
Had the SVX out for a spell of chores while the Outback was in for a new exhaust pipe baft of the cat. I cracked the joint plowing through a frozen snow berm at the foot of the driveway two days previous. Parts ordered same day work completed by noon on Friday
Well, the SVX needed a photo op as well as a monthly run so over to F.A.G. Aerospace building for an unmistakable omni-message Winter photo. Washed and put away in garage until next month.
Cheers, guys.

Attachments

#1,682 ·
That's what I thought! Anytime you have that heater grid sandwiched into the glass, the integrity of that glass is compromised. Just look how easy the rear gate window cracks since it has antenna and defogger grids in the glass...
Oh well, as long as Safelite replaced it then it's a non issue.

#1,684 ·
Couple of days ago I changed the two rear gate stays with new OEM ones.

First, I changed out the right one. I couldn't pop the stay off the post so I cut the stay off the post with a grinder and popped the new on. Then I did the left, almost the same way, but knicked the ball with the grinder. ****. But then when I went to grab the new stay I found something in the package that wasn't in the right-hand package: another ball stud. There was a big hole in the bag that had the right-hand stay in it. Oh well. I only needed the one ball stud after and the door stays up in the cold now.

Expensive things. $220CAD after tax from a local dealer. I might have saved $10 or so ordering from a dealer in Massachusetts but the wife wanted to stop hitting her head now. So I told her "Happy Valentine's Day" and ordered them locally. She's worth $10 I suppose. :D