New OBXT owner very poor mpg - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default New OBXT owner very poor mpg

I've had the outback 2005 XT for the past 2 weeks. I am loving the car, the power and everything. Is very fun to drive actually the funnest car I've ever driven. Last tank fill up I got 13 MPG Driving purely in City. (Horrible) My V8 Grand Cherokee does better than that. I bought the car thinking That I Would get better MPG than my Cherokee so that's unfortunate. I am thinking that the car probably needs a tuneup. The car was owned by 1 person before, they were an old couple and according to them they did all the maintenance on the car when it had to be done. I checked the car-fax and I saw it myself. The turbo hasn't been replaced and it's got 97000 on it. I still haven't checked the Banjo bolt. I have noticed some hesitation on acceleration sometimes on the hwy and a little rough idle when stopped on traffic lights. We just came back from a 120 mile little trip and the MPG computer says I got an average of 22 MPG so far. The trip was very variable in speeds a elevation so I think it did pretty good. What should I do to get better MPG in the city? Thanks in advance
Fefrank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: No Subaru at the moment.

It's rated 17 city.

If you're enjoying the turbo, I could see 13mpg.

Mine seems to get around 20mpg combined, but I've been consciously babying it.
Michael Aos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 02:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2

You'd have to be costantly thrashing it to get 13. I was at 15.5 for a while, but I was driving like an ass the whole time.
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: '05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl

There are some things to remember with a 2.5XT.. in my case I have a 2005 with the 5 speed automatic.. I live in a area where the roads are either flat or change quickly to hilly or mountainous..

One: Wintertime is going to get you less fuel mileage due to blend..

Two: If you are just running around town quick trips don't expect much better..

Three: Warming up or just keeping it running while sitting will get you the worst..

Four: The turbo needs to be in boost..!! That means trying to maintain 2,300 rpm or better for the better fuel mileage.. Trips on cruise control at 55-65 with the rpm's running at or above 2,300 and you get an engine that is running leaner..

My XT gets 13-14 wintertime around town and in the hills.. However I get a big increase once I get on the interstate and set cruise control.. Even in the winter I can manage 25 on a trip.. Summertime I've seen better..

Also note that MT's over auto's don't always get better fuel mileage. You may think your managing the engine, but that might not be the case.. I found keeping the car in the boost range works best..

Five.. Outbacks tend to fight the wind.. Loads can affect mileage and tire pressure..

All things to think about..

Steve
Bethlehem, Pa.
"There is nothing wrong with your mind, you really have reached the end of the Internet... We hope you have enjoyed your stay. Your next stop is the twilight zone. From this day on you will be totally under our control."
HDSkullfire2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2009 Outback XT 5M KYB GR2, King Springs

Seems perfectly normal to me. Since my last oil change (2800 miles), I am getting 22.2 MPG in mixed city and highway driving. I keep it in I mode most of the time except for when I decide to grin a bit.
KingTito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 2006 Outback XT Limited

City driving? check.

Winter? check.

car is an XT? check.

Driver realizes it is an XT and is smiling? check!

Congratulations! you have completed the checklist for burning the most gas in the least time. Honestly it sounds like your car is about normal. A set of plugs & an air filter might help bring back a little MPG but don't expect much. These cars need a long haul on an open road before they show good MPG, and by definition you'll never get that in city traffic.
rasterman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 140K

Have you checked your actual mileage or are you just going by the dash readout?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't drive like a mad man. I actually drive like my grandfather when he was 89 years old. Someone at work owns an impreza and told me that it would be best if I don't get it to boost at all. So here I am driving in the middle of the street below 2500rpms and people get really upset. I mean I would get upset! if I was driving behind a station wagon going 30 on a 45 speeding up ridiculously slow. Before i get to the speed limit I have to stop to a traffic light from home to work and vice-verse. So I guess I would have to go on the Hwy to get the most out of my fuel. Is a little longer but I guess I would get better MPG if I do it that way. What about the hesitation do you have any thoughts on that. Rough Idle starts when I stop on a light and acts like is going to turn off but it doesn't. Is not as bad as it sounds but I could definitely feel it. What do you recommend? I am very mechanically inclined but this is my first time going Subaru coming from jeep. For some reason I've always wanted a Subaru.
Fefrank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: '05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefrank View Post
What about the hesitation do you have any thoughts on that. Rough Idle starts when I stop on a light and acts like is going to turn off but it doesn't. Is not as bad as it sounds but I could definitely feel it. What do you recommend?
If your referring to the Turbo Lag not much..

As far as the stumbling it might need the throttle body cleaned.. That's a common problem with the XT's.. Just had mine done recently..

Steve
"There is nothing wrong with your mind, you really have reached the end of the Internet... We hope you have enjoyed your stay. Your next stop is the twilight zone. From this day on you will be totally under our control."
HDSkullfire2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car: '05 OBXT

Quote:
Someone at work owns an impreza and told me that it would be best if I don't get it to boost at all.
Someone at work misses the point.
13 is a tad low. As Seabass points out, it usually takes some effort to get it down that far. In deep snow and mud I generally get 14 - again "with effort"
RalliTEK rear overload springs
Cobb down pipe
Goodyear Triple Treads
Muffler delete
aftCG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: