2005 LL Bean with 131k on it - Page 2 - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Any info on the locations with the 3 owners? It's a good price, nice car. Still, very strange you can't take it for a test drive, which puts a lot of risk in the transaction. Think of it this way: Why wouldn't they "put it through their reconditioning process" and sell it at their normal market? Maybe because they know it's not going to go well? I would keep my eye out on craigslist for a private party sale that meets what you are looking for. Just be ready to move, as the good deals go fast there.

My guess is that they will reset the ECU to clear codes, so I doubt a code reader would do you much good. And you can't take it for a 20 minute test drive to get a code to pop up.

This seems strange:

"We price our vehicles to the market, you'll find the right car at the right price at Kinney. This vehicle will be sold "as is". No guaranty or warranty of any kind. As this is essentially offered as "wholesale" to the public and has not been inspected or reconditioned, the vehicle may not be test driven on a public road. If you are knowledgeable and will to accept the risk as a professional car buyer would, this potentially represents a high value transaction. If you would prefer a vehicle that has been through our reconditioning process, we have a wide selection of vehicles on www.kinneymotors.com."
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2006 Outback 2.5

tdelker brings up some good points and should by asked by you ( elle) to Kinney....why no recon on this vehicle if its so good........ there is a slight possibility..they just want to move it fast......

I would be checking craigslist every FOUR HOURS.........

And really do not understand why they would not put temp plate on so at least you could go down the road.........
subaruman49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean

Hmm...selling cars as-is is basically illegal in Massachusetts due to the lemon law. Even though they can do it in Vermont, it just seems odd that they would sell a relatively high-value car this way. Finding a buyer for an H6 Outback in New England is not exactly difficult! They would certainly get a return on investment for whatever it needs. Unless, of course, it has an impending major problem that they don't want to deal with.

It could also be a good deal if it's a dealer that just doesn't want to mess around with older cars (acquired through a trade, maybe?) but they figures they'll get more selling them than putting them out to auction. Really, really tough to say.

2008 Subaru Outback 3.0R L.L. Bean Edition No Nav, "Senior Citizen Gold" (Harvest Gold)
OEM Hitch | OEM Subwoofer | Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S | Window Tint | Black Carpet Swap
KYB Excel-G Struts ('04 Spec Rear, '05-'09 Spec Front) | Primitive 3/16" Front Skid Plate
jp1203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruman49 View Post
tdelker brings up some good points and should by asked by you ( elle) to Kinney....why no recon on this vehicle if its so good........ there is a slight possibility..they just want to move it fast......

I would be checking craigslist every FOUR HOURS.........

And really do not understand why they would not put temp plate on so at least you could go down the road.........
It is probably a huge liability. If they really have not "inspected" the vehicle at all, the brake lines may be ready to give out, a wheel might be ready to fall off, etc. If they slap a temp plate on there and you drive out, and something goes wrong with the car causing an accident, the dealership will be at fault.

Regardless, it's stupid.
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 194,000 miles, L26/L67 hybrid, 4T65E-HD with ZZP shift kit, GMPP front sway bar, GMPP front and rear STBs, lowered, 17inch Comp G wheels, SD headers, FWI, Autolite 104 plugs, custom DHP tune - Toy/money pit
| W-body.com Car of the Quarter 2nd Quarter 2013

Love: it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru
SE95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car: '03 L L Bean - LOVE IT!!

Well, this put things in a bit different light.

I spoke to the dealer last nite....the car was a leased vehicle in NJ, sold to someone in NJ then bought by the gentlemen in Vermont who owned it for 5 years. He traded it in for a newer Outback.....shows no accidents, completely clean. Doesn't show the maintenance.

I considered this like buying it from a private dealer, but what I did NOT notice was the inability to test drive it. This makes it like buying it from the auction. I have a call into them to see what they say.

This is EXACTLY the feedback I need....and I'm going on Craigslist right now to keep looking. Problem is, I LOVE the way this car looks, but I realize you have to be careful...... I'll let you know, and thank you!!!!

Elle

I was able to upload the pics from the dealer......don't know if they will help at all.....
Attached Thumbnails
2005 LL Bean with 131k on it-img954682.jpg   2005 LL Bean with 131k on it-img955119.jpg   2005 LL Bean with 131k on it-img956767.jpg   2005 LL Bean with 131k on it-img959232.jpg  
Foldsct is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1203 View Post
It could also be a good deal if it's a dealer that just doesn't want to mess around with older cars (acquired through a trade, maybe?) but they figures they'll get more selling them than putting them out to auction. Really, really tough to say.
This is EXACTLY what the salesman said to me last nite as well......it was a trade in, they don't want to mess with it, and they DO figure they will get more than going to auction.

Funny you should say that, jp1203...it's almost verbatim.

Elle
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Check out this post in our own for sale section - Similar price, private party, might be within driving distance. He might even meet you:

NY/FS: 2005 Outback 3.0 LL Bean Edtion
Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

I did already.....

He won't come near that price.....he is looking for the $8k, and I understand.

I did talk to the dealer about the NO Test drive statement.....it is NOT true, you can certainly drive the car, they have plenty of roads around to drive it on.

He said they should remove that statement and I agreed...how many people are deterred by that? I know I was until I called.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Too bad. He's down to $7700, but that's still a long way from 6.6k. Both are really excellent prices, and I personally would pay slightly more for the knowledge of one owner and good maintenance, if he can verify it.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Subi Outback 3.0R

I am willing to come down. $7,700 is what I am asking. I have a carfax that i can send you. True one owner, very well maintained. PM me if you want to know more.
DevDean514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: