Idler Pulley and Tensioner Issue and Later Model Gen 3 H6 3.0? - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Outback H6 3.0L
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Idler Pulley and Tensioner Issue and Later Model Gen 3 H6 3.0?

I have a 2008 H6 3.0 Outback with 75,000 miles.

I've read about the idler pulley and tensioner replacement issue. From what I've read it seems to be very common with Gen 2 Outbacks. I have found a few instances where 2005 model year H6s have had the issue.

Is the failure of these two items common at the tail end of Gen 3 for the H6 models? I am not seeing much talk about it.

Is water pump replacement necessary, or is that more of a H4 issue?

For the 2008 year, I believe the tensioner is Subaru part number 23769AA003 (roughly $80) and the idler pully is 23770AA020 (roughly $35). Water pump is 21110AA360 (roughly $110). I am familiar with the act of just replacing the bearings in the pulleys.
polomarco00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

If your hearing a whine or high pitch or just wanting to replace for piece of mind but 05-09 tensioner and idler pulley are common flaw with H6. The water pump is not nor needs to be changed unless over heating is a issue or leaking but more for H4 as they have a timing belt of which is the full service including pump and gaskets. I would also change out the serpentine belt with Subaru only.
Other common issues are rear wheel bearings.
mark211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

^ What mark211 said.

The water pumps on the H6 have an unknown replacement interval. SoupCommander had 340k on his Gen 2 EZ30D pump (same pump). See here and read through: 3.0 H6 Timing Chain and Guide Discussion

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

Geez, I only have 220k or so, I gotta get driving!

(I'm only doing about 400/week now that I work from home 1 day a week)
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon

I think some people have had alternators whine. You might consider swapping out some power steering fluid and looking for bubbles/foam in that reservoir while idling. Both of these are longshots compare to what's already been mentioned.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited

I think there is some confusions here. The issue with the idler/tensioner on the H6 is in the accessory belt. It does not drive the water pump. The water pump is driven by the timing chain, and is not a 'regular' replacement item as others stated.

The H4 has a timing belt, and people sometimes replace the water pump when the timing belt maintenance is done at 105k, but it is not required, nor in some people's opinions necessary until the 210k timing belt maintenance.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelker View Post
I think there is some confusions here. The issue with the idler/tensioner on the H6 is in the accessory belt. It does not drive the water pump. The water pump is driven by the timing chain, and is not a 'regular' replacement item as others stated.

The H4 has a timing belt, and people sometimes replace the water pump when the timing belt maintenance is done at 105k, but it is not required, nor in some people's opinions necessary until the 210k timing belt maintenance.
As stated I believe many want to change the water pump or unsure where this is located. But as far as tensioner/idler pulley all are on the serpentine belt ,running the alternator/PS/Ac. Some whine can come from the PS/Alternator as these bearings inside each may over time become worn but nothing major. The idler pulley and tensioner can fail leading to lock-up so replacing these are suggested and if a high pitch whine is heard, also at the same time to replace the serpentine belt since its already off.

As far as water pump, and since I do not have a H4 many other makers highly suggest replacing the water pump when the timing belt is done as the new belt and its tension on a old spindle(water pump) will increase the stress increasing the chance for leaking at the spindle. Then leaving you only to have 2-3 hrs of labor to do the job again.

So only time to replace water pump on the H6 is when over-heating is detected as the thermostat.
mark211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited

Yes, many other makes do highly suggest changing out the water pump with timing belt. For Subaru, it appears to be less of a factor. Some still do it, but I would definitely put it in the 'only if you are a freak for maintenance' category. They rarely leak.
tdelker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's

i'd look them up and see if they're the same part number as well as the belt. if so i'd expect similar experiences over time and plan on replacing yours at 75k. it's so easy and cheap i'd just do it with the belt change.

not only are they newer with fewer miles but people with 2008's are usually taking them to a shop to get the work done and not poking around a forum. so you're less likely to see info on newer stuff online.

obviously lots of exceptions to that but statistically speaking that's how it would bare itself out.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car: 2005 3.0 LL Bean Wagon

Sorry for diggin up an old thread but I think I'm going to change the tensioner and idler pulley on my 05 H6 just as preventative maintenance. Can someone confirm that this is the correct pulley for both the idler and tensioner?

Dayco 89007 Tensioner & Idler Pulley : Amazon.com : Automotive Dayco 89007 Tensioner & Idler Pulley : Amazon.com : Automotive

Also, is there a need to change the belt at the same time as long as it's in good shape? Thanks!
simp1yamazn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: