Subaru Outback Forums banner

New Gen3 XT member? Introduce yourself here.

337K views 2K replies 877 participants last post by  07OBXT/FXT 
#1 ·
40 hours to delivery...

Since we're sharing... :)

I will be taking delivery of my new 2005 Silver, Outback XT Limited, MT on THIS FRIDAY!!

WOOHOO!! I can't sleep at night I'm so excited!:D

#8 ·
Got mine!

Pickup up my base Outback 2.5XT yesterday. Got it home, went to do some grocery shopping and a cricket run (I keep tarantulas so I ran out of crickets) and basically started looking at removing those airbag stickers. First thing I do with any car I own these days is removing those stupid airbag stickers.

Anyway, love the car so far, it's certainly a different ride than my play car, a Toyota MR2 Spyder, but for a wagon, it's pretty nice. I drove by a Phase II outback this morning and it looks tiny. Drives a bit, I'm obviously not pulling redlines yet but the turbo pulls strong once it hits. No boost guage though.

One thing the 2005 brochure is wrong about is that both the XT and XT LTD has the dual zone auto climate control. My brochure incorrectly states the base XT has manual controls.

I have a 5spd Automatic and I've played with the sportshift. Not as good as a sequential or of course a 5spd, but the +/- controls on the steering wheel is pretty good, especially the shift-down feature where you could have it in the normal "drive" mode but want to pass somebody, rather than allowing the kick-down occur via the throttle, you can simply click the - and it'll go into sport mode for like 5 seconds and then back into drive. Handy. However, the buttons are a bit too close to each other, I would prefer the shift down button to be in the front and the shift up button to be in the back of the wheel (ala the MR2) but it works.

Ride is good for a larger car, noticeable body roll when taken fairly aggressively on turns. Braking feel is not as good as my old BMW or MR2. I have to stop comparing this to my MR2 though, I have a modded MR2 which is an absolute go-kart, awesome brakes and awesome handling.

So, this isn't a really detailed report, but I take the outback on my first trip soon. A sea kayaking trip to Maine and Isle au Haut area and also up by Acadia. Should be fun!

Pros: Power, AWD, 6-CD in-dash changer is nice feature, nice storage under the floor. The Electro gauges are funky.

Cons: temp. tire, my sunglasses don't fit in their holder!

Sure think of others after more driving.

I will have to take pictures of mine tonight and post them online probably by the weekend. Tonight I shall put my roof rack accessories (bike and kayak carrier) on...

Jay

#15 ·
Nope, I met the moderator of a NE hiking forum I'm a devout follower, before I got the subaru and he wondered where is the VFTT (viewsfromthetop) sticker and I told him I was waiting til I got my Outback cause I knew I was going to trade my previous car in. So one of the first things I did was put the VFTT sticker on. Then might as well put up the other stickers I have.

I think I'll create an avatar out of one of those shots...

Jay

#16 ·
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!!!

I can't believe it! I went to the dealer this morning dead set on getting a silver XT limited, but when I saw the black in person... I just couldn't resist... I love the monotone.

Anyway, I am the EXTREMELY happy new owner of a Black, XT Limited, 5MT 2005 Outback and it ROCKS! Woohooo!

Pictures to follow, I'm going out of town next week, but as soon as I get back!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Can't wipe the grin off my face! :D

#17 ·
Cool... I saw your title and said to myself... "Well, there goes the neighborhood".. :) Just kidding, but I kind of figured you must have gotten yours!

That silver would be a maintainer's dream though, my 328i was silver and it is the best color for hiding dirt, salt, etc.

But congrats on the XT Ltd, I'm sure you'll love it even if it was like puke green.. :)

Jay

#19 ·
Rack

I see that you have a thule box and I think a Yakima fork mount bike carrier.

Are you using Yakima bars and Lowriders or Thule bars and Crossroads?

Not sure if you saw my post in the general forum but I've been trying to decide whether to go with the thule bars and my Thule 589xt or go with a Rocky Mounts Noose SL which will use the factory cross bars, unlike any thule or Yakima carrier.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. My friend offered to sell me his old Thule basket thing but I really want to use the factory bars because it would be the shortest solution. I'm only 5'4" and I can just about get my kayak on my J-carriers with a small bench I made. If I get the aftermarket bars, the rack height would be an inch or so higher....

Oh, 4th picture from the top, looks like your driver side front tire ran over something aqua blue...

Jay

#22 ·
My vote is don't debadge, even if the rear is a bit busy. Either way, your XT Ltd. is extremely ...

Enjoy!!

Todd

#24 ·
Airbag stickers

Those will come off if the car has been in the sun for a while (I did it as soon as I got the car home!).

Slowly peel the corners and pull gently. I have also heard of folks using a hair dryer to speed up the warming process (not a problem out here in Phoenix in June :)

-KarenM-

http://members.cox.net/kamartin/2005outbackreviews.html

#25 ·
WoooHooo!!!

We (actually my wife) took ownership to an OBXT a week ago and what a vehicle! We traded in our very reliable '01 Forester that was getting up in miles. The summer Drive magazine goes into great detail on the development of the car and the engineering is impressive. I just hope my wife lets me drive it some! Actually we were driving home late last Saturday night, in the rain, on a country two-lane road, and I went to pass a Pontiac Bonneville. He sped up, so I hit the accelerator and before I knew it, 100mph and still pulling strong. The ride was so sturdy I didn't think I was much over 50mph.

My wife has thanked me every day since we bought it.

Sleddog