2003 Outback Engine Swap - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2003 Outback Engine Swap

Hey guys and gals of course. I'm a newbie to the subaru family so be gentle. My latest project is a 2003 outback MT EJ25. I bought the car with a bad engine and was lucky enough to find a low mileage 01 engine for a reasonible price. The 01 came out of an auto car and just getting the engine out of my car last night have noticed some differences. My 03 has egr the 01 does not. The heads appear to be different to accomadate the egr is this true? I also noticed some differences in the wiring harness as well. I guess my question is what all do i need to do to make this swap work. Im guessing since i have no egr im gonna see faults check engine lights etc. Is there anything else i need to be aware of. Thanks
WVSuby74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback

This might be one of those where the sensor wheel for the ignition is different, on the heads or on the crank, not sure which.

This bit a friend of mine that swapped an auto into a manual (or vice versa, forget which)
CNY_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Exactly,thats why i wanna chat with someone directly who has done this kinda swap before. There are tons of internet mechanics out there but i wanna talk to the person who has actual experience with this kinda swap.
WVSuby74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, and auto

I am in the same position you are, I bought an 04 with a broken timing belt and now I am trying to track down parts for it. Here is what I have figured out, hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong.

If you have a federal emission spec car there is a change between 00-02 and 03-04. 03 and 04 have a egr head, different wiring, and a egr intake manifold. To use the 01 engine you will have to swap an egr head onto the drivers side and use your 03 intake manifold and harness. Everything else on the long block should be the same. Not too bad, you will probably want to put head gaskets and a timing belt kit on it while the engine is out.
witty.names is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, and auto

You will also need the timing belt guide and associated parts from your 03 engine
witty.names is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: I has car.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Ok, here's the skinny:

00-01 share timing components. 02-04 are different in that regard. Easy to fix that, tho. . . just use your 03 LH cam sprocket and crank sprocket and intake.

00-02 are non EGR. 03-04 are. That's a little harder to work around if you don't want to swap the LH head. . no easy way around the intake debacle. I suppose you could swap ECU and harnesses but that is a very un-fun process just to work around that issue. Idle air metering mechanism and a host of other things are different on the 02+ motors as well, best to stick with the ECU/intake/harness that came with your car and make the motor fit it.

It has been suggested by others that you can run the EGR valve without tapping the head as long as you can do something to simulate 'flow' in the valve. One of the other members detailed a way to install a hose to the EGR valve using air sourced from a crankcase vent. Don't know if that'll work or not, just relaying info.

Personally I'd just swap the head and be done with it. 01's still have headgasket issues, might as well fix it while the motor is out of the car.

Always parting/fixing a subie or three. . . email me. Mostly fool with 2nd gen stuff (00-04).
lockmedic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car: 2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

What lockmedic said; about swapping the head.

And also both the crank and cam sensors.

The engine is already out. Take it apart, get the heads cleaned, checked and repaired as necessary, new MLS HGs and you'll be good to go for some time. You should already be planning on new thermostat, hoses as needed, plugs, wires, timing kit and cleaning the intake. The rest is minimal considering the ease of getting it done right the first time.

cardoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: