LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #41 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Scooby Newbie

Car: '05 Outback 3.0 VDC Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to T4RBoarder
Quote:
Originally posted by chevrofreak
Standing on the driver side with a long board, I put it on the head of the bolt and pushed toward the passenger side. Hard. Very hard. Don't slip.

Just be sure you know exactly how it goes back on. I spent literally 3 hours trying to figure the belt routing out.
So i do go counter-clockwise? I thought that just loosened the pulley on the tensioner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 142 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally posted by T4RBoarder

So i do go counter-clockwise? I thought that just loosened the pulley on the tensioner?
You just push straight into the side of the bolt head to compress the spring on the tensioner enough that you can slip the belt off. They really do use an exceptionally strong spring for the tensioner, so be careful.

I tried standing in front of the car and using the board as a lever against the bolt head, but all I managed to do is splinter the edge of the board.

Yes, the perspective on this is off.

Imagine the white rectangle is a board. Place it on the head of the bolt that holds the pulley on, and push on it to take tension off of the belt.
post #43 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Car: 2003 LLBean H6 Outback
I'm at 120,000 miles now (30K miles in a year), gee, I feel like I should do them.

Like maybe this weekend.

Might have heard a bit of noise...

Maybe I'll try taping the belt to the other pulleys so I don't have to fuss with getting them back on.

Dave
post #44 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:13 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah I'd do it dave. With the frequency they happen (someone at USMB just had it let loose on them) and how bad mine were when I did them for preventative maintenance it's time well spent. It was REALLY easy too by the way. Given your experience I think you'll knock it out in no time. Actually other than a couple pilot bearings I dont' think I had ever done a bearing before so I was a little hesitant but it ended up being a piece of cake. Bearing came out really easy.
post #45 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by grossgary
Yeah I'd do it dave. With the frequency they happen (someone at USMB just had it let loose on them) and how bad mine were when I did them for preventative maintenance it's time well spent. It was REALLY easy too by the way. Given your experience I think you'll knock it out in no time. Actually other than a couple pilot bearings I dont' think I had ever done a bearing before so I was a little hesitant but it ended up being a piece of cake. Bearing came out really easy.
Nothing standing between me and new bearings but a big pile of lazy...

I was going to change my trans fluid this weekend, but this seems like a 'need'.

Dave
post #46 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 PM

Car: OBW H6 VDC, H6 OB Sed, XT6's
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yeah right on. i'm either on fire getting lots done or don't feel like touching anything automotive. can't find that in-between.
post #47 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:49 PM

Car: 2002 WRX & 2006 Beaner
The non-tensioner idler on my wife's '06 Outback 3.0L had just started making noise. 59k miles on the car. Pulled it off and took out the dust seals. The small amount of grease still in it was all dried up. Cleaned it w/ brake cleaner and repacked with grease and it spun pretty smoothly.

I've now replaced one idler with new ($43) so that I had a spare to press in a 6203-2RSJ bearing from NAPA which was only $10. I used a few washers and a hydraulic press at work. BTW, the bearing from NAPA is made by SKF.

I almost think replacing both idler bearings should be on the 60k maintenance schedule.
post #48 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by procyon
The non-tensioner idler on my wife's '06 Outback 3.0L had just started making noise. 59k miles on the car. Pulled it off and took out the dust seals. The small amount of grease still in it was all dried up. Cleaned it w/ brake cleaner and repacked with grease and is spun pretty smoothly.

I've now replaced one idler with new ($43) so that I had a spare to press in a 6203-2RSJ bearing from NAPA which was only $10. I used a few washers and a hydraulic press at work. BTW, the bearing from NAPA is made by SKF.

I almost think replacing both idler bearings should be on the 60k maintenance schedule.
60K for the stockers, anyway.

Surprised to hear they are still shortlived in the '06.

Dave
post #49 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:11 PM

Car: 2001 OBW H6 VDC
FYI, I pulled my pulleys last month and can confirm the bearing number. The rubber seals were marked NSK 6203DUL1.

Thanks to the guy(s) who mentioned the nut behind the tensioner pulley. It would suck to drop that nut and not realize it.

Spare pulley (Subaru p/n 23770AA020) was ready for quick swap if one of the bearings was bad. Turns out I didn't need it. But I noticed that the replacement pulley is different from the original:

The new pulley has no flange, and it looks like it will mount slightly farther forward than the old one.

I think I'll reuse that old pulley if/when I have to replace a bearing. Another good reason to buy just the bearings...

-Jeff
post #50 of 142 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 PM

Car: 2002 WRX & 2006 Beaner
The new idler that I purchased also looked like your new one (no flange). In fact, the original idlers on our '06 are the "new" stye. That flange has no relationship on mounting depth. The serpentine belt on our '06 ended up relatively centered on the idler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: