towing teardrop camper - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

SubaruOutback.org is the premier Subaru Outback Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default towing teardrop camper

I have a 2002 subaru outback legacy wagon, 4 cyl. I had planned on making a trip to Manitoba Canada late september. We had purchased an older jayco popup trailer and made a hard shell small style teardrop out of it. It is heavy on the front end, light on the rear. The camper weighs 1840 pounds. It squats the car a little but seemed to tow ok. I could tell the camper was there, tho. It isn't light. I was told I should not use my car to haul the camper to canada without a tranny cooler. I am going in cooler weather. Would I really need one?
alisa1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 2012 3.6R

1st thing check how much weight you are putting on the ball. If it's making it squat you may need to readjust the weight towards the back of the camper by packing differently. A tranny cooler can't hurt but I think you should be ok in the cooler weather. How hot can it get in Canada. Plenty of Aussie's tow with 4cyl OB's and survive.
2007 Husaberg 550FE (sons)
Wilko1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

The problem is those stupid propane tanks up front. They were on the jayco as well. Unsure how the popup camper originally towed when it was new. I obtained it as a flat trailer and went from there but the front hitch point of the trailer is beefy. Seems like they should have put a heavier duty axle on it as well. Go figure.
alisa1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2002 Pair: VDC Wagon 3.0 & Outback Sedan 2.5 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisa1965 View Post
The problem is those stupid propane tanks up front. They were on the jayco as well. Unsure how the popup camper originally towed when it was new. I obtained it as a flat trailer and went from there but the front hitch point of the trailer is beefy. Seems like they should have put a heavier duty axle on it as well. Go figure.
...stripping it down to just the stuff you NEED vs the stuff you might need is essential in every trip,...like taking one empty tank of propane, and getting it filled or traded for a full one when you get to your destination.

you could HOPEFULLY move some stuff off the front of the trailer, and put it on the rear or at least behind the axle,

oh and on axles there always seems to be options for better stronger axles on all trailers, but it is up to the buyer to actually tell the builder to use the stronger ones.

you might do some more local test runs around with the trailer and see how the car performs, like if the water temp goes up too much. A lot can be helped by picking the right time of day, and purposely keeping your speed down. 1800lbs is a whole lot for a 12 year old car to take. (brakes, radiator hoses, etc. etc. etc.)

here is a good long recent thread that talks all about towing, just extrapolate the weights for your car vs. the 2005 3.0, and in the end Chametzoo got a used Jeep Grand Cherokee as he intended to camp off road.

New 3.0 2005 Outback owner... Towing concern!
Old 08-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Baja - Ditched 13 OB

Alisa1965:

No need to remove anything - just properly distribute the weight in your camper to get the correct tongue weight - as per attachment.
Check the tongue weight with bathroom scale.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trailer Balacing.pdf (100.2 KB, 22 views)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: