Subaru Outback Forums banner

transmission not drinking new fluid

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Remixtup 
#1 ·
I drained the wix filter and replaced I also drained the pan then I added 4qts of atf and ran it thru all the gears ...but it didn't even try to move ..and when I pulled the dipstick today it was still all the way up the tube as when I filled it it didn't go down at all ..what do I look into next
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
which side of the car are you filling the tube on?

The ATF fill is on the driver side near starter

The Gear box Oil fill is on the passenger right side above the cat.

you are filling the wrong one, and now will need to drain the gear ox oil, and get only gear oil in there since you have mixed in ATF now it is no good. you will be lucky if you didn't burn the ATF pump up without any fluid in there except what remained in the torque Converter

#11 ·
I have read worse here,...like actually a test drive around the block under such circumstances.

one here was even done by a subaru dealer. :frown2:

subaru really screwed up with this, at least they could have put different colors on the handles.

#12 ·
#14 ·
so the fluid is out but it seems only the atf came out? Or is it just one solid mixture? I drove around the block ...just cause ...but as soon as I pulled the plug it drained .no bubbles ,a slight whizzing sound ...I don't want to put the new gear oil in if the old is not out..also for those who want to see the diff vs atf sticks here goes.this is the passenger side diff stick
this is the atf stick on the driver side . it is thoroughly hidden beneath tubes and wires and a b^€¥° to pull out I stuck a Co² cartridge thru the hole and used for leverage.. Still a b!+¢h

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.