Subaru Outback Forums banner

2001 OBW - Will a Queen bed fit?

36K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  CSFiend 
#1 ·
I will be moving soon and the only large item that I am not sure will fit into my 2001 OBW is my queen sized mattress. It's a memory foam mattress so there's a lot more flexibility in terms of stuffing it in the back than your regular spring mattress. Will it fit? If not, would it be as simple as just putting it on the roof? If so, what do I need to get to make sure it doesn't fall off when I'm driving? Thank you!

#2 ·
cars101 has extensive pictures and measurements of the interior of the car. compare that to standard or actual size of the bed you need to carry.

strap it to the top and make sure you don't create a lift type scenario on the front of the bed at 80mph and you're golden.

#3 ·
some inside dimensions are here:

2001 Subaru Outback options, prices, all currrent and older Subarus Outbacks Foresters Imprezas Bajas

a queen mattress with "innersprings" = has springs that can bend, and get permanently bent.

as other threads suggest, maybe consider leaving it and buying new. (you can look up what the life expediency is of a mattress and box spring).

if put on the top, you might need: 2 sections of ply wood / stiff plastic paneling. and maybe a 20' aluminum extendable ladder split into 2.

if you take the box spring, you may only need one section of plywood/ paneling. (= to stop the thing from flopping in the wind.).

ladder sections tied to the roof cross bars and side bars, and to the front and rear corners of the car. (either under the hood sides or BEST under the bumper).

you should plan on going slow on the 2 lane roads,...lots of wind resistance, and you can tighten down your ropes and straps whenever you need to.

anything to avoid looking like this:

this minivan actually has NYS MD (medical doctor) plates on it:

see this thread and ones like it:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/260258-hauling-long-loads.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/7252-advice-moving-obw.html

#4 ·
"Memory" foam mattresses ride on top just fine. . .

Reactions: kevint1
#6 ·
If its a memory foam,

tip the front seats forward and roll it like a taco shell and jam it in. slam the hatch shut and open the front seats as much as you can. might get the best fit by putting one side high and the other low.

I got one like that and if yours is like mine, you could also unzip the mattress cover, and take the individual pads out and roll those up.

lay them in the sun and they will flatten out again for re-assembly.

_______

little uhaul vans are nice too.

#8 ·
Heck, a full size mattress doesn't fit either.

The big box hardware stores around here will rent a truck for ~$20 an hour, and I think u-haul does as well. That'd be my solution, as long as it wasn't a multi-hour trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.