Subaru Outback Forums banner

What do I actually have?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  24278 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
As im new to Subaru, I have no knowledge at all of what I have. All I know is I purchased a 2001 Subaru Outback Limited, 2.5ltr 4 spd auto wagon. Trying to buy parts for this has become somewhat of an issue. Apparently they have different disc sizes (since measured at 294mm) but they (autopart stores) have told me that I have to take the pads in as they are all different shapes.

Also what the is a B9 or a B6 or a H6 or so on and so on?
Is my wagon a Standard stepped roof wagon or a flat roof wagon?

Any info on what I actually have would be beneficial! and also the best place to buy parts from in Adelaide
regards
Steve

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
BH chassis (3rd generation 'legacy' Outback so, not Outback Sport[impreza] and not a BE-sedan nor BT-truck and not a turbo it seems, and def. not H6, those are 3ltr 6 cylinder engines)

and it CAN be helpful to take parts in to compare, or, what I do (more often with plumbing parts than car parts!) is buy everything and then return what I didn't use.

more details here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Legacy_(third_generation)

#4 ·
2000-2002 US / Canadian spec cars had evolutionary changes in what type brake disc / pads/ caliper bits they put on.

and this is what the parts guy is seeing in his computer and counter sales.....he also sees many customers coming back to play switcheroo on install day,....as what is on the car today is a mix of one type and another.

(it is advisable to not toss the pins and minor bits in the garbage when dissembling,....as you may wish to dig them out if the new bits don't fit,).

the best advice:

buy parts that are spec'ed for a 2003-2004 6 cylinder subaru outback. (homologous,...and a little bit better bigger / stronger).

this minute I forget if such rotors / pads need a caliper to match. (its been discussed here many times though)

#5 ·
Also what the is a B9 or a B6 or a H6 or so on and so on?
Subaru makes boxer engines: engines with opposed horizontal pistons. This makes for a lower center of gravity.

H6 refers to a certain type of engine with six horizontal cylinders. The H6 engines in this generation are designated EZ30D engines, but that's not the type of engine you have. The metal plate you posted indicates that you have an EJ25 engine. This would be a "flat four" engine. Your engine has four horizontal cylinders.

By the way, the Achilles heel of the EJ25 engine is the head gasket. Check the carfax report to see if your head gasket has ever been serviced. Keep an eye on your temperature gauge too.

#6 ·
Where are you located? Your VIN isn't recognized by any of the SOA catalogs....

Yea, there was a weird pad/caliper style change in 2001-2002, and it varies considerably within those 2 years.

With the 290mm rotors, you have the newer rotor size, so it's a bit more likely that you have the newer caliper style, but not guaranteed.

Caliper brackets must match the pads. You can mix and match calipers, but the newer ones have larger piston bores.

#8 ·
he mention Adelaide so he must be in Australia

#9 ·
Hi guys,
thanks alot for your words and knowledge and yes I am in Australia. I managed to measure the rotors and they are 294mm, as for the pads, they still can't find a match so will see how I go when I visit the local Subaru dealer, hopefully they have some more answers there!
Cheers
Steve

#10 ·
oh, Aus.:smile2:

ask for 2003 6 cylinder style brakes. 2004 model year Aussie cars are in the later generation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.