Subaru Outback Forums banner

2003 forester manual awd to auto awd ?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  rasterman 
#1 ·
hi, i want to convert my `03 forester ,2.5 ltr , 5 speed manual awd to auto awd .. ( gummy leg, gettin a bit awkward to drive manual....)

i have a 1998 outback 2.5 ltr auto awd , can i put the running gear from the auto outback into my 2003 forester ? would there be any major obstacles ?

mark k

#2 ·
that's a major swap. . . and not worth it at all. Heaps easier to sell or trade your 5 speed to any of the thousands of slushbox drivers wanting a 3 pedal car.

But since you asked: doubtful your auto from your 98 Outback would work anyway as it's phase 1. . you need a phase 2 trans. . . . and basically the whole dash wire loom from an 03-?? Forester auto, or wiring diagrams for both cars, a utility knife, soldering iron, shrink wrap, electrical tape by the case, and a week or so with nothing else to do but find "where's waldo" on the factory service manuals while you merge the looms.

#6 ·
An STI has an EJ25 too, it doesn't really mean all that much.
I do know the differences, that's why I feel confident telling you they won't interchange easily. EJ is the generational design of the engine, 25 is displacement. There are 6-7 basic EJ25s. Many of those have different subversions depending on year, application, market, emissions etc. Do some reading up on the versions of this engine and you'll see how different they are.

The engine in your Forester is far superior anyways. The engine, trans, and rearend will fit though. I can't say for sure what axles or driveshaft you'll need though.

Leave well enough alone or sell both and buy what you want.

#7 ·
As you're from OZ I can't say for certain what engine you got in the OB in 1998. . .but USDM 98 Outback is BG Legacy chassis with an EJ25D 4 cam shitball headgasket blowing overly complicated heap. Probably the worst engine Subaru ever built.

A quick look at your belt covers would confirm. 25D has vee-shaped valve covers like this:

EJ251,2,3 have smaller belt covers (because only 1 cam per head):

03 Foz is SG chassis with an EJ251 2 cam halfway decent motor that still has HG problems but fortunately does not have bucket & shim valves like it's 25D predecessor so you can actually redo the heads without mortgaging your house.

The only thing these motors share is the block case, crank, rods, and a handful of bolts.

While it's technically possible to swap the EJ25D, harness, computer, and all over to your 03 Foz it would be about as much of an improvement as tossing your laptop in favor of an IBM Selectric.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.